Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Mrs. Brown's Boys is truly awful, but I think what makes it hated is the fact so many people love it, so it ends up polarising opinion.  Whereas there are countless other shite completely forgettable sitcoms that don't even register  on here because we can't even remember them, which probably fit the bill of worst ever sitcom.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Language Timothy 

He was in possibly the most one sided for talent double act ever and he wasn't the one with an ounce of talent

The Two Ronnies was brilliant but the monologue was boot the TV in material. He was the not funny partner of a comic genius

• Like 2

On 10/11/2014 at 20:19, CrackpotForeigner said:

Hmm. I call marketing bullshit on that one. I reckon it's better to have the sweat on your shirt where it can cool you, which is the point of sweating in the first place. If sweat isn't absorbed by your shirt it just trickles down to your trollies where it can mature like a fine cheese.

Pretty sure you have a higher effect of the evaporation from the skin than having it cool you off by just being sweaty.

A side point is also that sweat soaked non breathing cotton shirts will give most people breakouts.

When I was rowing 10 000 - 12 000 meters on my cardio workouts I would get the worst skin if I didn’t use high quality synthetics.

It's also much easier to use in terms manouverability and feeling flexible.

Anuway sorry for picking up on an ancient post.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

What about the Jasper Carrot one? That was awful. 

You’re referring to “All about me” aren’t you? I’ve only ever heard negative things about it. 

I initially thought you meant “The Detectives”, which I remember (as 10/12 year old) being quite good. No idea if it holds up, I would guess not.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

He was in possibly the most one sided for talent double act ever and he wasn't the one with an ounce of talent

The Two Ronnies was brilliant but the monologue was boot the TV in material. He was the not funny partner of a comic genius

I’ve seen this criticism of the chair monologue thing on here before. It’s odd as that’s one of the first things I’d associate with the two Ronnies (not being a particularly big fan of them admittedly). Obviously I know four candles, the mastermind sketch.....But the monologues come across like it’s so ingrained in the show. A bit like Smith & Jones and their head to head discussions.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

You’re referring to “All about me” aren’t you? I’ve only ever heard negative things about it. 

I initially thought you meant “The Detectives”, which I remember (as 10/12 year old) being quite good. No idea if it holds up, I would guess not.

I’ve seen this criticism of the chair monologue thing on here before. It’s odd as that’s one of the first things I’d associate with the two Ronnies (not being a particularly big fan of them admittedly). Obviously I know four candles, the mastermind sketch.....But the monologues come across like it’s so ingrained in the show. A bit like Smith & Jones and their head to head discussions.

It was always the worst bit of the show though......... Always. 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

It was always the worst bit of the show though......... Always. 

Weird, that looking at it from afar it seems such an integral part of the show. Was it just Barker letting his mate have something he could call his own or something?

Did Barker have an equivalent segment that he did by himself? I know the answer coming back will be he did it all...but you know what I mean.

31 minutes ago, BOF said:

Mrs. Brown's Boys is truly awful, but I think what makes it hated is the fact so many people love it, so it ends up polarising opinion.  Whereas there are countless other shite completely forgettable sitcoms that don't even register  on here because we can't even remember them, which probably fit the bill of worst ever sitcom.

I admit I have laughed during Mrs Brown's Boys which by definition doesn't make it as bad as lots of sitcoms I've watched.  I often wonder how some of them get commissioned in the first place.

I remember always thinking that British Sitcoms were SO much better than American ones. But I have a real memory of that 10 year period when Friends was absolutely massive that there were any number of new British Sitcoms which were just so so bad. Loads ran for just 1 series never to be seen again. 

I can't remember any off the top of my head but that's probably because they've been shut out. 

18 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yes, thats the one. About as funny as a broken rib.

The Detectives was good though, and I quite like Carrot, despite his small heath tendencies. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I remember always thinking that British Sitcoms were SO much better than American ones. But I have a real memory of that 10 year period when Friends was absolutely massive that there were any number of new British Sitcoms which were just so so bad. Loads ran for just 1 series never to be seen again. 

I can't remember any off the top of my head but that's probably because they've been shut out. 

There was a Frank Skinner one called Shane. 2 series, but the second series never aired for some reason. Reviews were poor. 

I hate/hated Friends. Never found it funny. Frasier was much better. 

Edited by Xela

It’s a kinda obvious thought but I find it curious what would make someone laugh in real life wouldn’t necessarily translate through a sitcom lens (for want of a better phrase).

For instance, if you don’t find Del Boy falling through the gap in the bar funny, either because you never did or through repetition, fair enough. But if you were in a pub (remember them?) and you saw someone fall through the bar in real life, it’d probably be the funniest thing you’d seen that month and it would be posted about and discussed on here within ten minutes.

I suppose simply being in a sitcom means that everything automatically has a big arrow pointing to it saying “you will find this funny” and is judged more harshly if it fails.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s a kinda obvious thought but I find it curious what would make someone laugh in real life wouldn’t necessarily translate through a sitcom lens (for want of a better phrase).

For instance, if you don’t find Del Boy falling through the gap in the bar funny, either because you never did or through repetition, fair enough. But if you were in a pub (remember them?) and you saw someone fall through the bar in real life, it’d probably be the funniest thing you’d seen that month and it would be posted about and discussed on here within ten minutes.

I suppose simply being in a sitcom means that everything automatically has a big arrow pointing to it saying “you will find this funny” and is judged more harshly if it fails.

Absolutely. When Larry David met Ricky Gervais in that C4 documentary about 15 years ago they were talking about sitcoms and how writers feel the need to shoehorn funny lines in all the time, even though real life isn't like that. Also the characters don't laugh or react to them, its just done for the audience. In real life, if a mate says something funny you'll laugh. Doesn't happen in sitcoms. Like that Del Boy scene, in real life that would be hilarious. Half the pub would be laughing. 

Thats why I like Curb as they run pretty much unscripted and the reactions are kept in there, so it feels like a more natural conversation, as well as being very funny. 

This clip is a great example. Its like watching a group of mates chat. Its much more realistic than say a exchange in Friends or Big Bang Theory where quips are fired back and forth

• Like 4

It was the chandelier for me in Only Fools.  I thought I was going to die I was laughing so much. Nothing has ever got me quite like that before or since. 

The fall through the bar was funny but that was on another level for me. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Are you telling me the custard cream isn't the very last one you'd pick out of this fine collection?

51BpA8H7AfL._AC_.jpg

I get your point but custard creams are being eaten before those pink icing things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I get your point but custard creams are being eaten before those pink icing things.

It ain't no party without party rings is my Mrs likes to say. They're ok but don't come close to a custard cream.

They are still better than Oreos though. Top 3! Who the hell has Oreos in their top 3?! 😄

Edited by AlwaysAVFC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â