Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

So how do you know you don't get them? :mrgreen:

I’ve seen one or two in the Past. 

And occasionally I click on a video on Facebook that is, unbeknownst to me, one of these videos. 

I don’t purposefully watch them, because I don’t get them. 

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

If we're talking about interweb things we don't get, McFadden's Cold War.

I'm sure it's just me considering how much it's all over my twitter feed, but I don't understand why that's funny.

I think it's supposed to be a searing indictment of Modern Britain.  Or something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

If we're talking about interweb things we don't get, McFadden's Cold War.

I'm sure it's just me considering how much it's all over my twitter feed, but I don't understand why that's funny.

Definitely goes over my head

• Like 1

i think its a purposeful marketing campaign, same as the palm oil iceland one at xmas, i bet 90% of people saw the controversy before they saw the ad, i bet their social media and youtube hits are better than their TV viewing figures, its all a ploy, would be interesting to see how it compares to the millions they threw at federer, tiger woods* etc maximum exposure minimum spend at a time when i would lazily guess Gillette is being hit hard by electric razors and the decline in people shaving

the advert itself is shit "men are bastards and should start acting better, buy our razors" im not offended by it or anything daft i just think its a bad advert

*surprising lack of tiger in this campaign...

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i think its a purposeful marketing campaign, same as the palm oil iceland one at xmas, i bet 90% of people saw the controversy before they saw the ad, i bet their social media and youtube hits are better than their TV viewing figures, its all a ploy,

I bet a lot of those people also shared the palm oil advert etc without actually viewing it first  ... I'm all for people having a cause , but sharing it on Facebook isn't  a cause  

it's like a drug for some people to just share stuff  , the M25 speed camera thing (again) the other week being a prime example  ... no they haven't turned on every single camera , there isn't a magic turn on switch they are  the Highways Agency not a James Bond villain

Mrs H , who always has the best intentions sent me the palm oil advert last year and spent the next few weeks religiously checking ingredients on everything for palm oil whilst bringing palm oil up in nearly every conversation  ... she appears to have given up on the palm oil crusade now ( not forgotten it totally tbf )   .. I also  think she is aware the day she starts the meat is killing our planet and vegan conversation is the days the divorce papers get filed  :)

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

The Gillette AD controversy. 🤷‍♂️

This is the same gillette who charge women far more money for the same product because it comes in pink plastic, deciding to virtue signal and wantonly misinterpret the term 'boys will be boys' for the new dickhead generation who are addicted to demonising everything the male of the species does these days.  Yeah, no thanks.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, BOF said:

This is the same gillette who charge women far more money for the same product because it comes in pink plastic, deciding to virtue signal and wantonly misinterpret the term 'boys will be boys' for the new dickhead generation who are addicted to demonising everything the male of the species does these days.  Yeah, no thanks.

I think it goes without saying that every single product which has been marketed has been aimed at certain demographics.. Look at the Diet Coke advert in the 90s with women swooning over a good looking, topless window cleaner, or older cleaning products with tags like "perfect for cleaning your man's home" etc etc. 

In a way it's a good message i.e. don't be a prick to people and make women feel uncomfortable, but then again, to me it just feels like more preaching.  I know I do my utmost to make anyone from any sex/race feel like they can act anyway around me, but I'm sure I've done things in the past which contradict that.  

So it just feels like Gilette are jumping on a bandwagon whereby they aren't exactly golden, so it feels stupid. 

I literally don't know what to think anymore, because I think we should all celebrate our differences and have fun around stereotypes, but then again, I hate the thought of being racist and divisive and I'd hate to upset someone.  But as a white bloke, I am finding it more and more common that I'm having to be mindful of what I say and to who, even though I literally have nothing racist/misogynistic to say! 

All I will say is, is that as long as we can call out gingers, that gives me something to hold onto  :P  

• Like 1

Â