Paul Lambert

limpid

I hate the type of football we see under Lambert, I hate his repetitive mumblings, I hate his bizarre tactics and substitutions and until now I wanted him gone ASAP.

But..................Under this useless cowardly owner what chance did he ever have? if it's true that he gave him 10m last season to spend on players then it's not Lamberts fault that we are deep in the mire.

If there is no buyer in place within the next 6-8wks we are going to need Lambert to work a miracle because this squad is the worst that I can recall in my 45yrs of watching Villa, as I said I'm no fan of PL but he at least seems to "get it" and wont quit (like the owner is doing).

Most will not like this but this is our darkest time since the 60's and right now we need a stubborn bastard like Lambert without him I'm 100% sure we will go down with him we might just might survive long enough for a new owner to put us back on track.

Also we (supporters) need to stick with together and with Lambert (even those like me who aren't a fan of his football) because if we don't then truly we have lost before a ball is kicked.

Great post, my only problem is that his position is already untenable. He's lost his right-hand men, had a coaching team foisted upon him, and now seemingly told which players he can and can't keep. IMO we'd be better off letting Cowans take charge and let him blood some youngsters instead of allowing Lambert more money to spend on his already unbalanced squad.

• Like 2

Great post, my only problem is that his position is already untenable. He's lost his right-hand men, had a coaching team foisted upon him, and now seemingly told which players he can and can't keep. IMO we'd be better off letting Cowans take charge and let him blood some youngsters instead of allowing Lambert more money to spend on his already unbalanced squad.

I was a huge fan of Sid as a player but from what I know of the youth teams he has coached, he is not on the path to become a great manager sadly.....talk of being better off with Cowans in charge is extreme wishful thinking. 

Secondly, I'm not sure we have a load of youngsters ready for the first team....apart from Robinson and Grealish who are now beginning to be integrated, who have you seen that you think should be "blooded"?

• Like 2

Shocking u-turn by Lambert to let Bent and Hutton back in. Shows how far backswards we are moving.

Bent was a quality player and I was annoyed when he was first dropped, but he showed at Fulham what his worth is. Hutton is a awful defender, just as bad as what we have already but need him off the wage bill, but nobody will take him on those wages.

Shocking u-turn by Lambert to let Bent and Hutton back in. Shows how far backswards we are moving.

Bent was a quality player and I was annoyed when he was first dropped, but he showed at Fulham what his worth is. Hutton is a awful defender, just as bad as what we have already but need him off the wage bill, but nobody will take him on those wages.

It's not that shocking, that u-turn started in January when Lambert started talking about experienced players, instead of the young and hungry mantra we've been fed for 2 years. Either he, himself has realized he couldn't cut it this way, or someone above him has had enough of it and enough of paying the bomb squad to stay away. Either way, it doesn't reflect nicely on Lambert. 

Being told which players he can and can't keep? Not sure that's true. Don't think he ever really fancied albrighton. After all it's not like he was awesome for a ages. gave it a go when he realised his deal was up and unlikely to get a new one, unless he pulled his finger out. 3 weeks of good form shouldn't put him in a position of power (in terms of negotiating a new deal) see ya. Bent... If there's any chance he looked like he would smash in goals I'm sure he'd be used or would've had a successful loan and attracted suitors. He hasn't and bent without goals is like a screwball with out the bubble gum ball at the end, just dosent't bring enough to the team.

He's stuck with these players right now. If P.L's here when bent contract is up, huttons, they'll be gone.

Yea I'm in the support Lambert group. Whatever happens this season is not going to be his fault, and the blame will fall entirely on Lerner. I am expecting disappointment. If that does not happen and we manage to surprise a few people then that would just be exceptional work on Lamberts part.

Things are a mess at the moment, and if a takeover doesn't happen quickly...I think we are done for.

• Like 2

Yea I'm in the support Lambert group. Whatever happens this season is not going to be his fault, and the blame will fall entirely on Lerner. I am expecting disappointment. If that does not happen and we manage to surprise a few people then that would just be exceptional work on Lamberts part.

Things are a mess at the moment, and if a takeover doesn't happen quickly...I think we are done for.

These type of comments really do make my blood boil.

Did Lerner choose the policy of buying younger inexperienced players? No he didn't because the Chief Executive has already stated that Lambert was given a budget and it was up to him how he spent that. He has brought in the region of 18 players the majority of whom being a miss rather than a hit.

Did Lerner have any tactical input into choosing how we played over the past two seasons? I don't think Lambert would have stayed if that was the case so the answer to that question would also be no.

Was it Lerner's idea to form the Bomb Squad thereby devaluing every player within it? Lerner wanted the outlay on wages to come down but did he advocate a no returns policy on those players? Certainly not.

If reports are correct then Lerner has told Lambert to start using members of the Bomb Squad which Lambert has previously bombed out. Now we can blame Lerner for wanting out and not investing but should Lerner be blamed for not trying to use some of those players in the first place when budget constraints were tough?

Lambert has got it so badly wrong in his two years here that he become nothing more than the puppet for the puppet master while awaiting his pay off and having to endure the ultimate embarrassment of his failed plan being ripped to pieces while also having one of those members of the bomb squad as a coach.

Lerner must however take some of the blame for the choice of manager and in Lambert he has made the worst choice of all whose transfer policy, tactical awareness and choice of coaching staff has been the catalyst for this awful mess.

• Like 2

These type of comments really do make my blood boil.

Did Lerner choose the policy of buying younger inexperienced players? No he didn't because the Chief Executive has already stated that Lambert was given a budget and it was up to him how he spent that. He has brought in the region of 18 players the majority of whom being a miss rather than a hit.

Did Lerner have any tactical input into choosing how we played over the past two seasons? I don't think Lambert would have stayed if that was the case so the answer to that question would also be no.

Was it Lerner's idea to form the Bomb Squad thereby devaluing every player within it? Lerner wanted the outlay on wages to come down but did he advocate a no returns policy on those players? Certainly not.

If reports are correct then Lerner has told Lambert to start using members of the Bomb Squad which Lambert has previously bombed out. Now we can blame Lerner for wanting out and not investing but should Lerner be blamed for not trying to use some of those players in the first place when budget constraints were tough?

Lambert has got it so badly wrong in his two years here that he become nothing more than the puppet for the puppet master while awaiting his pay off and having to endure the ultimate embarrassment of his failed plan being ripped to pieces while also having one of those members of the bomb squad as a coach.

Lerner must however take some of the blame for the choice of manager and in Lambert he has made the worst choice of all whose transfer policy, tactical awareness and choice of coaching staff has been the catalyst for this awful mess.

Also the bomb squad, didn't they de-value themselves, if they actually put in a decent performance once in a while then just maybe the manager would give them a run. We all slate Lambert and say he lost to Bradford, lets not forget who missed a sitter from two yards then lied down injured due to the embarrassment. Both Hutton and Bent have been on loan and both have failed miserably to actually impress and get themselves new clubs. On N'Zogbia, when your players go away you tell them stay fit and most important try and not get injured, what does N'Zogbia alledgedly do, he goes running in Miami and gets crocked. Yeh all Lamberts fault for devaluing the players. When if we are honest, they did that themselves.

Being told which players he can and can't keep? Not sure that's true. Don't think he ever really fancied albrighton. After all it's not like he was awesome for a ages. gave it a go when he realised his deal was up and unlikely to get a new one, unless he pulled his finger out. 3 weeks of good form shouldn't put him in a position of power (in terms of negotiating a new deal) see ya. Bent... If there's any chance he looked like he would smash in goals I'm sure he'd be used or would've had a successful loan and attracted suitors. He hasn't and bent without goals is like a screwball with out the bubble gum ball at the end, just dosent't bring enough to the team.

He's stuck with these players right now. If P.L's here when bent contract is up, huttons, they'll be gone.

Actually 5 months, and before that he was injured, but who's splitting hairs here . . . 

On the broader point, nobody is saying that Lambert has suddenly rediscovered a love for Bent and Hutton, and it's clear they won't get offered new contracts when they expire. However, I think it is safe to say that Lambert has been told there's no money for replacements and that he needs to use all that's currently available first. Albrighton proves that the club are more than happy to use people frequently all the way up to their contract expiries and then just let them go, I expect to see the same for Bent and Hutton. 

From what I can gather he hasn't said much other than that there's a level playing field for all. He's not even mentioned either of those players by name.

Am I missing something?

Mat Kendrick, with a noted disdain for Lambert, is using his media platform to stir up trouble.

From what I can gather he hasn't said much other than that there's a level playing field for all. He's not even mentioned either of those players by name.

Am I missing something?

Mat Kendrick, with a noted disdain for Lambert, is using his media platform to stir up trouble.

Quell surprise.

In other words no, I'm not missing anything. Another tsunami in the VT tea cup.

• Like 1

Am I missing something?

I think Mat Kendrick is desperate for Lambert to go on account of the fact his own job is going to be extremely difficult if he stays. I'd argue he has a vested interest in Lambert going.

Oh totally. I can't take him seriously any more. We don't need hacks with an agenda.

Â