Paul Lambert

limpid

I don't think many if any journos know what is going on with the sale.   Villa are being extra extra careful not to let anything out about the sale.  It is my slight glimmer of hope that a sale is closer than is being reported on in the media.  Slight glimmer.

Or alternatively, there isn't much happening.

But that is for another thread. :)

Why do you always have to give us the bad news eh?  One day your ITK will be positive.

Btw I've devised a new ITK list.  Not based on accuracy but a ranking system that takes in to account lots of factors.  Handling (ridicule on VT by posters who hate ITK's) skills is one of those factors. 

That was more hunch than anything mate. I would though personally argue, all things considered, that telling people Lambert wasn't going despite claims otherwise was positive but I know some won't agree.

I agree on Lambert.  As I said on another thread, he has gone up in my estimation as he is the only one showing a bit of strength at a pretty rubbish time for Villa.  Plus him leaving in our current state would be catastrophic for us as I can't imagine we would be able to attract anyone decent to the role and would almost definitely get relegated next season.

Regarding Kendrick, would we all rather brown-nosers like James Nursey who just apologises for any manager here (including McLeish) in order to retain his privileges? No point in even having independent journalists if they will never divert from some sort of club approved script.

This is all true but Kendrick never wrote articles about McLeish, I think this is more to do with that he actually doesn't like him rather than it being related it to Villa. Pretty sure if Lambert sucked up and gave hima  few cakes on press conferences, he'd love the guy, but think after the Millwall think MK has been waiting to stick the boot in which looks like it will backfire.

• Like 2

Sid did say that Lambert spent £10m last season, I was there. He also commented that it could be argued the he spent it on who he wanted. He then said Lambert has done well under the circumstances.

Lambert is our best hope while were in limbo, we couldn't attract another decent manager or afford to pay off Lambert's contract, we are skint, Lambert's hands are tied.

As fans we can either accept the facts as we know or ignore them and pile unnecessary pressure on the team ( another point tha Sid made) that's trying to keep us afloat, if we go down the scenario looks very  bad, no quite Leeds but very close IMO.

Just out of interest, why do you think Lambert has stayed?

No other jobs available that he could get?

Big financial gain if he sticks with us till we're sold?

A promise that he'll be in charge when a new owner comes in (written into the sale agreement as part of lerners terms)?

Loyalty to Lerner?

With such uncertainty surrounding his job and fans wanting him to go anyway, you couldn't blame him for resigning.

So, why has he stayed?

Aston Villa fans should be thanking manager Paul Lambert, not calling for his head by James Nursey

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-fans-should-thanking-3580253#.U3x5__KvkVw.facebook

Is he for real? Only thing his doing is taking us down

Dunno, there's at least one thing Nursey has right...

at this rate next season is inevitably going to be an even grimmer struggle for survival.

What's happened? Seems to be a few more supporters of Paul Lambert on here than at the end of the season. Did he say/do something these past few days?

I'm not so sure there are, perhaps they just aren't being shouted down so much.

If there are though, perhaps that is due to a great appreciation for the wider issues at the club or the fact he is sticking around to try and see us through a very difficult time when he could, oh I don't know, for instance walk out on the club 5 days before the start of a season and claim constructive dismissal.

There's still no guarantee he won't do that, of course.

Wasn't the transfer fee numbers proven true by the latest accounts? We certainly spent more than 10 million, and I doubt we got 7 million for Makoun and Bent's loan.

The latest accounts don't show last summers activity and there is no way on earth we got 7 million in on those two.

What's happened? Seems to be a few more supporters of Paul Lambert on here than at the end of the season. Did he say/do something these past few days?

If there are though, perhaps that is due to a great appreciation for the wider issues at the club or the fact he is sticking around to try and see us through a very difficult time when he could, oh I don't know, for instance walk out on the club 5 days before the start of a season and claim constructive dismissal.

There's still no guarantee he won't do that, of course.

No, that is fair comment. I can't see it though personally and not even VT would get on Lambert's back for what he theoretically might do... would it... ;)

Regarding Kendrick, would we all rather brown-nosers like James Nursey who just apologises for any manager here (including McLeish) in order to retain his privileges? No point in even having independent journalists if they will never divert from some sort of club approved script.

This is all true but Kendrick never wrote articles about McLeish, I think this is more to do with that he actually doesn't like him rather than it being related it to Villa. Pretty sure if Lambert sucked up and gave hima  few cakes on press conferences, he'd love the guy, but think after the Millwall think MK has been waiting to stick the boot in which looks like it will backfire.

When put like that, fair enough.

How true is this? That manager walked for much much less.

• Like 1

Well we haven't had to watch a Paul Lambert team play football for awhile so that helps. In terms of him staying, I'm not sure it's as noble as people make out. He would struggle to get another prem job and I seriously can't see him giving up a pay off to try and get money from the club through the courts. From his point of view to stay at the club right now is the smart move, not sure its worthy of praise.

• Like 1

Yea I'm in the support Lambert group. Whatever happens this season is not going to be his fault, and the blame will fall entirely on Lerner. I am expecting disappointment. If that does not happen and we manage to surprise a few people then that would just be exceptional work on Lamberts part.

Things are a mess at the moment, and if a takeover doesn't happen quickly...I think we are done for.

These type of comments really do make my blood boil.

Did Lerner choose the policy of buying younger inexperienced players? No he didn't because the Chief Executive has already stated that Lambert was given a budget and it was up to him how he spent that. He has brought in the region of 18 players the majority of whom being a miss rather than a hit.

Did Lerner have any tactical input into choosing how we played over the past two seasons? I don't think Lambert would have stayed if that was the case so the answer to that question would also be no.

Was it Lerner's idea to form the Bomb Squad thereby devaluing every player within it? Lerner wanted the outlay on wages to come down but did he advocate a no returns policy on those players? Certainly not.

If reports are correct then Lerner has told Lambert to start using members of the Bomb Squad which Lambert has previously bombed out. Now we can blame Lerner for wanting out and not investing but should Lerner be blamed for not trying to use some of those players in the first place when budget constraints were tough?

Lambert has got it so badly wrong in his two years here that he become nothing more than the puppet for the puppet master while awaiting his pay off and having to endure the ultimate embarrassment of his failed plan being ripped to pieces while also having one of those members of the bomb squad as a coach.

Lerner must however take some of the blame for the choice of manager and in Lambert he has made the worst choice of all whose transfer policy, tactical awareness and choice of coaching staff has been the catalyst for this awful mess.

Yes as he only gave him the money to go down that road. If you group the fees for tonev and the like together you still coudln't afford one player, and one player doesn't make a team.

Yes he wanted them off the books.

Lerner has done a 360. If he can't sell he won't provide extra funds, so Lambert has no option but to use the players left at the club. If you think any of them will make a difference anyway I find that baffling.

Lambert deserves some blame yes, but not to the extreme you are suggesting. The damage was done at villa, and lambert never had a chance form the start.

The same could be said about Pulis but he made a massive difference when he went to Palace.

I don't think many if any journos know what is going on with the sale.   Villa are being extra extra careful not to let anything out about the sale.  It is my slight glimmer of hope that a sale is closer than is being reported on in the media.  Slight glimmer.

Or alternatively, there isn't much happening.

But that is for another thread. :)

Why do you always have to give us the bad news eh?  One day your ITK will be positive.

Btw I've devised a new ITK list.  Not based on accuracy but a ranking system that takes in to account lots of factors.  Handling (ridicule on VT by posters who hate ITK's) skills is one of those factors. 

That was more hunch than anything mate. I would though personally argue, all things considered, that telling people Lambert wasn't going despite claims otherwise was positive but I know some won't agree.

I agree on Lambert.  As I said on another thread, he has gone up in my estimation as he is the only one showing a bit of strength at a pretty rubbish time for Villa.  Plus him leaving in our current state would be catastrophic for us as I can't imagine we would be able to attract anyone decent to the role and would almost definitely get relegated next season.

I would agree with this if we had shown any improvement under Lambert or if the general results had been better.

Since those results were similar to Mcleish would you still state the same if circumstances were the same under Mcleish? 

The same could be said about Pulis but he made a massive difference when he went to Palace.

Measured statistically, Tony Pulis is one of the most effective managers in PL history, and if you measure by finishes compared to wage bill, which seems the best way of measuring achievement, he's really in an elite group with Ferguson, Wenger, and Moyes over the last 20 years. The knock on him is pretty much never underachievement (last year at Stoke aside), it's always style of play. 

Bottom line is he's in a different league to Lambert. In hindsight, we'd probably have done better sacking Lambert and appointing Pulis last summer, but it would hardly have been a popular appointment. 

Â