Paul Lambert

limpid

We're the new Wigan... scraping survival every year.

At least they played decent football and won a cup.  There was no disgrace in a club Wigan's size going down, in some ways it's amazing they stayed up as long as they did.

I agree. If we're going to get relegated at least let's do it with all guns blazing not trying to get 0-0 draws!

We started slowly today and that was very upsetting.

The confidence throughout the side is so low.

That's what you get after kicking the ball long all season, so many of them are scared or not comfortable on the ball, grim viewing.

Any chance of telling them stop floating corners please Paul? Just the four games left.

I have a feeling we'll be playing for 4 more draws this season. 4 more points would put us on 39 points, and unless Fulham or Cardiff win all 3 games and they positively change their GD by 29(F)/21(C ), it's practically impossible for us to finish below those two, and Sunderland would be required to win their last 4. So I think 39 points would guarantee survival, especially when you consider that WBA and Norwich would need 6 and 7 points respectively also to finish above us.

IF the takeover rumours are true, then Lambert's remit will almost certainly be to get us over the line so the takeover can go ahead. Sure, winning against Swansea or Hull would almost certainly secure safety, but getting 4 draws will probably be the "safer" way to get over the line.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

Keep it real guys & try to understand what the bloke has done for our club

Presided over some of the worst results in our history, broken several unwanted records and had his team playing some of the worst football I have seen at Villa Park.

Paul Lambert, take a bow son!

Keep it real guys & try to understand what the bloke has done for our club

Presided over some of the worst results in our history, broken several unwanted records and had his team playing some of the worst football I have seen at Villa Park.

Paul Lambert, take a bow son!

And he's not finished yet. He could also oversee our first relegation from the Premier League.

I was thinking today, that the takeover rumour was planted by the club, trying to convince us that if we stay up then we'll turn into a Liverpool/Man Citeh type, basically to make us try and roar the team over the line... Would be a crazy ass plan!

Only 4 more games we have to put up with this dire football

fingers crossed

And only 4 more games we have to read dire posts.
What ever happens we'll still have the kind of posts with no evidence to support them. They're midly entertaining I guess Edited by Big_John_10

I have a feeling we'll be playing for 4 more draws this season. 4 more points would put us on 39 points, and unless Fulham or Cardiff win all 3 games and they positively change their GD by 29(F)/21(C ), it's practically impossible for us to finish below those two, and Sunderland would be required to win their last 4. So I think 39 points would guarantee survival, especially when you consider that WBA and Norwich would need 6 and 7 points respectively also to finish above us.

IF the takeover rumours are true, then Lambert's remit will almost certainly be to get us over the line so the takeover can go ahead. Sure, winning against Swansea or Hull would almost certainly secure safety, but getting 4 draws will probably be the "safer" way to get over the line.

We won't get 4 draws - Man City will beat us and we'll probably lose to Spurs. Our chance of surviving is based on the next 2 games. I think 2 points should be enough in a worse case scenario but would love 3 or 4 to be certain. 

If we go out with the attitude to draw against Swansea and Hull then we almost deserve to go down. We should be playing to win those games. 

• Like 2

Thats also a real concern. Lambert were supposed to build the team from scratch and improve our squad and get out the "bomb" squad. But our current squad is on the same level or worse than what we had

Edited by villalad21

Stating that a player who has played poorly was "excellent" is something to legitimately criticise the manager about. I'm not sure why we must remain silent when he spouts utter bollocks after every game.

Of course it isn't. What a ridiculous thing to say. You have no idea of Gabby's frame of mind, level of confidence, whatever. If you genuinely believe he is talking to anyone else apart from his players in those press conferences there is no helping you.

Every single manager in the league does it. Mourinho spouts bollocks every time he opens his mouth and is generally regarded and am excellent man manager. Why? Because it takes attention off the squad and their performance.

Its quite simple really.

• Like 2

Two things massively concerned me yesterday. Firstly that was arguably our best 11 currently. Between now and the end of the season that is as good as it gets in terms of personnel. Secondly the lack of determination and drive throughout the side. I went to Villa Park yesterday expecting at the very least for us to come out all guns blazing. The opposite happened. We started the game slowly and lackluster and you'd have thought for the first 30 minutes that it was us and not Southampton who had little to play for.

Just to add to the fact that was probably our best 11 currently on show yesterday. We aren't ravaged by injuries or suspensions. We have three players out. NZogbia isn't included as we all know he was out the door anyway and heading down the same path as Bent, Given, Ireland and Hutton. Of the three players one didn't start the season as first choice for us and another is a back up striker. It is the most damning evidence of how far this great club has fallen when you look at our squad. It is dire.

I am not sure how Lambert plays it from now on in. He can tweak the starting line up but you are replacing inadequate players lacking confidence and form with other inadequate players.  What we lack in quality I thought we could make up for in effort and desire. Based on yesterday and the last month or so it doesn't even seem the manager can instill that into the players. Which given the severity of the situation this great club finds itself is in is unforgivable.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Two things massively concerned me yesterday. Firstly that was arguably our best 11 currently. Between now and the end of the season that is as good as it gets in terms of personnel. Secondly the lack of determination and drive throughout the side. I went to Villa Park yesterday expecting at the very least for us to come out all guns blazing. The opposite happened. We started the game slowly and lackluster and you'd have thought for the first 30 minutes that it was us and not Southampton who had little to play for.

Just to add to the fact that was probably our best 11 currently on show yesterday. We aren't ravaged by injuries or suspensions. We have three players out. NZogbia isn't included as we all know he was out the door anyway and heading down the same path as Bent, Given, Ireland and Hutton. Of the three players one didn't start the season as first choice for us and another is a back up striker. It is the most damning evidence of how far this great club has fallen when you look at our squad. It is dire.

I am not sure how Lambert plays it from now on in. He can tweak the starting line up but you are replacing inadequate players lacking confidence and form with other inadequate players. What we lack in quality I thought we could make up for in effort and desire. Based on yesterday and the last month or so it doesn't even seem the manager can can instill that into the players. Which given the severity of the situation this great club finds itself is in is unforgivable.

Yes 3 players out but 2 of them would of made a massive difference and the 3rd a useful option. Particularly with benteke to challenge their centre backs as gabby didn't do this.

I think its worth noting that after 30 mins, Lambert called Westwood over and pushed the midfield higher. This was vital and after that we grew I to the game more.

Why wasn't the midfield pushed higher after 0 minutes? A third of the game had already gone!

That's a bit of a ridiculous thing to say. He'd get criticised for not changing tactics during games.
  • Like 1

Â