Paul Lambert

limpid

You're just being stupid-How can you always get it right from the start? What is the right way to play?

There is no right or wrong way to play and every system & formation has merits. It is helpful to be able to identify a problem & deal with it. This is the point that TLR is making

Yes 3 players out but 2 of them would of made a massive difference and the 3rd a useful option. Particularly with benteke to challenge their centre backs as gabby didn't do this.

Benteke would make a difference certainly. Okore I genuinely don't know. The lad is 21, came from a much inferior league and has just 70 odd games under his belt. It is fair to assume it would have taken him some time to adjust to the Premier League which I'd imagine is why he didn't start the season in the team and only found his way into it early on due to injuries. He looks a promising player but it is straw clutching for me to suggest he'd have made a massive difference.

Bottom line is you will do well to find a Premier League club without at least 2 or three injuries or suspensions at any given time. We seem to feel the effects more than most though as our squad is so poor with the majority of it simply not good enough at this level.

Lets also not kid ourselves and forget that even with Benteke in the side we were more often than not getting poor results serving up crap football. Injuries/suspensions don't help any club but our problems run way deeper. Lack of funds contributing to a dire squad overall, poor, and it now seems unprofessional coaching staff, and overwhelming evidence a manager not up to the job are the reasons why we are in such a mess.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Yes 3 players out but 2 of them would of made a massive difference and the 3rd a useful option. Particularly with benteke to challenge their centre backs as gabby didn't do this.

Benteke would make a difference certainly. Okore I genuinely don't know. The lad is 21, came from a much inferior league and has just 70 odd games under his belt. It is fair to assume it would have taken him some time to adjust to the Premier League which I'd imagine is why he didn't start the season in the team and only found his way into it early on due to injuries. He looks a promising player but it is straw clutching for me to suggest he'd have made a massive difference.

Bottom line is you will do well to find a Premier League club without at least 2 or three injuries or suspensions at any given time. We seem to feel the effects more than most though as our squad is so poor with the majority of it simply not good enough at this level.

Lets also not kid ourselves and forget that even with Benteke in the side we were more often than not getting poor results serving up crap football. Injuries/suspensions don't help any club but our problems run way deeper. Lack of funds contributing to a dire squad overall, poor, and it now seems unprofessional coaching staff, and overwhelming evidence a manager not up to the job are the reasons why we are in such a mess.

You'd also struggle to find a team with their first choice and back up striker out injured. Okore we don't know how good he is but he is a starting centre back.

Villa should have been higher up the pitch from the start and should have taken the game to Southampton due to our greater need for points and being home team.

As you have alluded to Lambert didn't do that and took a third of the game to change things that should have been in place from the start.

No wonder it took us an hour to get a shot on target. Lambert out.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Two things massively concerned me yesterday. Firstly that was arguably our best 11 currently. Between now and the end of the season that is as good as it gets in terms of personnel. Secondly the lack of determination and drive throughout the side. I went to Villa Park yesterday expecting at the very least for us to come out all guns blazing. The opposite happened. We started the game slowly and lackluster and you'd have thought for the first 30 minutes that it was us and not Southampton who had little to play for.

Just to add to the fact that was probably our best 11 currently on show yesterday. We aren't ravaged by injuries or suspensions. We have three players out. NZogbia isn't included as we all know he was out the door anyway and heading down the same path as Bent, Given, Ireland and Hutton. Of the three players one didn't start the season as first choice for us and another is a back up striker. It is the most damning evidence of how far this great club has fallen when you look at our squad. It is dire.

I am not sure how Lambert plays it from now on in. He can tweak the starting line up but you are replacing inadequate players lacking confidence and form with other inadequate players. What we lack in quality I thought we could make up for in effort and desire. Based on yesterday and the last month or so it doesn't even seem the manager can can instill that into the players. Which given the severity of the situation this great club finds itself is in is unforgivable.

Fully agree. Yet at times most of these players have looked like world beaters. I think they've flattered to deceive and have been very inconsistent. This is probably due to them being inexperienced cheap players. So I suppose when all is said and done, you get what you pay for.

And we'd of probably been 2-0 down after half an hour then. Conceding an early goal would of killed us yesterday and perhaps Lambert knew this. They had a lot of possession in the first half an hour but didn't do much with it. Maybe the tactic was to get to half an hour and then push up?

I love how we have some tactical genius' on this site.

• Like 2

Villa should have been higher up the pitch from the start and should have taken the game to Southampton due to our greater need for points and being home team.

As you have alluded to Lambert didn't do that and took a third of the game to change things that should have been in place from the start.

And then you'd have been moaning that the defence had no cover when Saints ripped us apart 4-0.

The team had no confidence on the back of 5 straight defeats...some cavalier change to a style we haven't used all season was never going to work was it?

Not losing yesterday is absolutely fine in my eyes.

And then you'd have been moaning that the defence had no cover when Saints ripped us apart 4-0.

The team had no confidence on the back of 5 straight defeats...some cavalier change to a style we haven't used all season was never going to work was it?

Correction - we'd actually lost 4 on the bounce not 5.

Would there not have been a possibility we could have scored in the opening half hour if we got the tactics right from the start?

Fully agree. Yet at times most of these players have looked like world beaters. I think they've flattered to deceive and have been very inconsistent. This is probably due to them being inexperienced cheap players. So I suppose when all is said and done, you get what you pay for.

Aren't we paying Lambert approximately £2m a year.  Doesn't sound like value for money to me!

Correction - we'd actually lost 4 on the bounce not 5.

Would there not have been a possibility we could have scored in the opening half hour if we got the tactics right from the start?

Pot-ay-toh. Pot-ar-toh.

No. We create **** all not because we weren't higher up the pitch but because we have no creativity in the side. By all means beat Lambert up about his failure to address that but not over a 0-0 draw with a better team than us.

Pot-ay-toh. Pot-ar-toh.

No. We create **** all not because we weren't higher up the pitch but because we have no creativity in the side. By all means beat Lambert up about his failure to address that but not over a 0-0 draw with a better team than us.

If you press high up the pitch and close people down naturally you have more men forward and you're closer to the opposition goal to get shots in.

60 minutes played zero shots on target yesterday. Just not good enough.

Pot-ay-toh. Pot-ar-toh.

If you press high up the pitch and close people down naturally you have more men forward and you're closer to the opposition goal to get shots in.

And leave space behind for players like... Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana to run in behind. Judging by the fact they did get in behind a few times we were pushed up plenty enough I think.

Pot-ay-toh. Pot-ar-toh.

And leave space behind for players like... Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana to run in behind. Judging by the fact they did get in behind a few times we were pushed up plenty enough I think.

By that logic you would sit back the whole game. Sometimes you need to be brave to win a game.

Pot-ay-toh. Pot-ar-toh.

By that logic you would sit back the whole game. Sometimes you need to be brave to win a game.
Would that have worked better against Southampton last time we played them?

Pot-ay-toh. Pot-ar-toh.

You also leave massive gaping holes behind your midfield for the infinitely better opponents to run in behind you and rape your defence.

No shots on target can't solely be blamed on Lambert can it? Gabby and Weimann had that job.....

Â