Paul Lambert

limpid

Why did anyone expect the suspension of Culverhouse and Karsa to result in some sort of upturn in performance and ability? I said at the time it wouldn't but it's as if some blind force was at work weaving a magic spell over people's sense of logic.

I didn't though. We've been palying shite all season, why would we suddenly start to play good? Culverhouse and Karsa have never been the main problem, our manager has.

Or maybe, somewhere in that mythical realm of 'Middle Ground', Culverhouse and Karsa leaving would have some effect, but obviously not a total overhaul.

Thats naive to think. The reason we lie in the position we are in at the moment, is because thats how poor our squad is. The table isn't lying, Lambert have focused on quantity, and we are now paying the price for that.

Your reply has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

I think a certain David Moyes would beg to differ on Villa being the hardest job to figure out!

Yeah taking over a team that won the league at a canter and having splashed £70 mil on 2 players, really tough.
Having looked at how he's performed it would appear it was yes.

He's made a right hash of it, spent money on the wrong players, doesn't make it tough though.

Have you ever seen shark's in a feeding frenzy? I never have...... except on these boards.

I have no doubt that the desire (for most - minus an occasional troll) is to make the club better, thanks, but I still disagree that being vehemently critical is the best way to help.

Can't say I can find any text on human behavior written in the past 60 years that would disagree with me.

It's doubly bothersome when the feeding frenzy overcomes intellectual honesty. If you think Lambert has been terrible in the player market, and is terrible at coaching and motivating players, then his tactics yesterday had to be brilliant ! He got a point off a team "miles better than us" with poor talent, championship players, right? There's just no intellectual integrity in saying he does nothing good ever. If he were as bad as the feeding frenzy claims, we would be in the bottom of the championship already.

Of course there's problems. The tactics have sometimes baffled me. Some of the purchases have baffled me... (Although to be honest, Kozak baffled me, but I quite liked him in action). But the vehement criticism of everything, constantly, is getting old, at least for me.

I'm not asking for "blind faith." I'm not suggesting that we "paper over the cracks". I'm suggesting support, balanced with honest critique, and that the opposite of papering over the cracks is not burning the house down, so it can be built right.

• Like 2

Ha, Moyes is having the worst of times... He has completely messed up the team and Liverpool are winning the league. Lambert can perform shit results and still keep his job easily... If we are taken over he will never keep his job though, it eill surely go to someone else

Come on guys, we need to stick with Lambo and the team for the remaining games. This is the toughest job in England.

It is a tough job and I don't doubt that Lambert is doing his very best. I also feel he has been dealt a very poor hand in terms of finances. However much the same as McLeish who was also dealt a poor hand in terms of finances and I also didn't doubt was doing his best unfortunately Lamberts best is not good enough.

Whilst acknowledging that Lerner is extremely culpable in where we find ourselves just as I couldn't put up an argument for McLeish to stay I can't put up an argument for Lambert. He has assembled the worst squad of players I have seen since we were last relegated, he has overseen some of the poorest results and worst runs of form in our entire history. He has had us playing some terrible football not only lacking in any kind of technical ability but lacking organization, direction and lately effort and desire.

I wanted Lambert and continued backing him totally until mid way through this season. I was desperate for him to succeed. He needs to see out this season as a sacking now could do more harm than good but come the end of the season he sadly needs to go. For the remaining time he is here though at least until we are safe we all need to continue to give our full support to the team and hope that unlike recently they show the determination and all out effort required to see us safe.

I don't often disagree with you Mark - my only concern is given the state of the current squad - and the finances available - who is going to come in ? - Your talking Nigel Adkins, Malky Mackay , Di Matteo - to my mind we struggle who ever the manager is, whilst Lerner holds the purse strings........things look worse now because of the injury's to Kozak and Benteke - either of those two fit and I feel we would have a few more points on the board....

That's the worrying thing for me. If Lerner stays it really doesnt matter who we bring in, we're going to be bad. If Lerner stays I'd rather Lambert stays too and purchases 3 quality players. We will be no where near relegation then. Another worrying thing is the football would still be rubbish but I guess that's where we are as a club under Lerner, just a desire to stay clear from relegation. However, if we get taken over then Lambert can go. 

I still maintain that with 3 quality signings we will have a pretty damn good first 11 providing everyone can stay fit. 

Guzan

Lowton - Okore - Vlaar - Bertrand

New DM - Delph

Gabby* - New AMC -  New Winger

Benteke

*Swap Gabby for either Weimann or Tonev or Albrighton. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Come on guys, we need to stick with Lambo and the team for the remaining games. This is the toughest job in England.

It is a tough job and I don't doubt that Lambert is doing his very best. I also feel he has been dealt a very poor hand in terms of finances. However much the same as McLeish who was also dealt a poor hand in terms of finances and I also didn't doubt was doing his best unfortunately Lamberts best is not good enough.

Whilst acknowledging that Lerner is extremely culpable in where we find ourselves just as I couldn't put up an argument for McLeish to stay I can't put up an argument for Lambert. He has assembled the worst squad of players I have seen since we were last relegated, he has overseen some of the poorest results and worst runs of form in our entire history. He has had us playing some terrible football not only lacking in any kind of technical ability but lacking organization, direction and lately effort and desire.

I wanted Lambert and continued backing him totally until mid way through this season. I was desperate for him to succeed. He needs to see out this season as a sacking now could do more harm than good but come the end of the season he sadly needs to go. For the remaining time he is here though at least until we are safe we all need to continue to give our full support to the team and hope that unlike recently they show the determination and all out effort required to see us safe.

I don't often disagree with you Mark - my only concern is given the state of the current squad - and the finances available - who is going to come in ? - Your talking Nigel Adkins, Malky Mackay , Di Matteo - to my mind we struggle who ever the manager is, whilst Lerner holds the purse strings........things look worse now because of the injury's to Kozak and Benteke - either of those two fit and I feel we would have a few more points on the board....

This is actually really true. Who can we attract as a club? If those are the alternatives we might just stick with Lambert..

That's the worrying thing for me. If Lerner stays it really doesnt matter who we bring in, we're going to be bad. If Lerner stays I'd rather Lambert stays too and purchases 3 quality players. We will be no where near relegation then. Another worrying thing is the football would still be rubbish but I guess that's where we are as a club under Lerner, just a desire to stay clear from relegation. However, if we get taken over then Lambert can go. 

I still maintain that with 3 quality signings we will have a pretty damn good first 11 providing everyone can stay fit. 

Throw in Lerners record of choosing managers - and thats why despite agreeing with his critics - Id just give him another season..........thats of course assuming he wants it.

I don't doubt that the injury to Benteke has had an effect and that has been felt harder due to not having Kozak to step in. However that doesn't excuse the tripe that we regularly served up with Benteke and/or Kozak in the team. Benteke will have played 26 league games for us. Kozak wasn't injured until January.

As I have said injuries/suspensions and players simply out of form are part and parcel of the game. We though feel it more due to the lack of quality we have in our squad. It has been known for ages that with Vlaar out an already vulnerable defense crumbles, with Delph out a midfield that already struggles to influence a game becomes almost non existent and with Benteke out an already shot shy attack lacking goals becomes absolutely toothless.

Without finances then the overall quality of the individuals with in the squad won't be improved. However it is most definitely possible that another manager could have these lads better organized, playing with more purpose, getting the basics right and showing the high levels of effort and desire that should be a bare minimum when you pull on an Aston Villa shirt.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

This is actually really true. Who can we attract as a club? If those are the alternatives we might just stick with Lambert..

Sticking with a poor manager because you can't be sure the alternatives are any better? We might as well just get relegated now. Lambert may have had to work with financial restrictions but that doesn't excuse poor tactics, lack of a cohesive plan on the pitch, lack of desire and drive and poor organisation. The football served up now is awful.

Pulis and Allardyce would get more out of this squad than Lambert. They'd make us work harder, be more organised and have more of a gameplan. Sure, it might be agricultural but it wouldn't be as awful as the dross we are serving up now. 

Lambert has to go at the end of the season, takeover or not. If we don't get taken over then we need a manager who can organise us and squeeze more out of the limited squad we have and if we do get taken over, then we need a new top class manager. Either way, Lambert has to go. 

Sticking with a poor manager because you can't be sure the alternatives are any better? We might as well just get relegated now. Lambert may have had to work with financial restrictions but that doesn't excuse poor tactics, lack of a cohesive plan on the pitch, lack of desire and drive and poor organisation. The football served up now is awful.

Pulis and Allardyce would get more out of this squad than Lambert. They'd make us work harder, be more organised and have more of a gameplan. Sure, it might be agricultural but it wouldn't be as awful as the dross we are serving up now. 

Lambert has to go at the end of the season, takeover or not. If we don't get taken over then we need a manager who can organise us and squeeze more out of the limited squad we have and if we do get taken over, then we need a new top class manager. Either way, Lambert has to go. 

Pulis and Allardyce are anti football, I would be against them from day one. Where have our ambiton gone?

I love how we have some tactical genius' on this site

Loving these kinds of posts at the moment. I wonder if you ever posted this when people had a go at McLeish?
What's that got to do with anything?

The fact is you'll make a sarcastic comment like that for Lambert but I bet when people criticised McLeish you had no problem with it. And he was doing better at this point than Lambert now is.

Guzan

Lowton - Okore - Vlaar - Bertrand

New DM - Delph

Gabby* - New AMC -  New Winger

Benteke

*Swap Gabby for either Weimann or Tonev or Albrighton. 

I do agree that without a takeover, this is going to be our level but I also think a better manager can be the difference with us going down and staying up on our usual budget. 

We would have to make 4 signings there if you include Bertrand whom I'd be surprised now if he'd join, surely a better club would come in for him? It is also expected that Benteke will miss part of the season and with Kozak returning from his bad injury, I think it would be unfair to expect him to lead our line. Okore is another player we all have such high hopes for but he is unproven and coming back from a serious injury, next season he should be again, given some protection to adjust. Our current cover has proved to not be good enough. I'm not sure of Lowton's quality/attitude either. 

So for me, there is a lot more work to be done to improve us significantly and this can only happen with investment which I just can't see us getting without a takeover. I'd also like to see a number of our duds leave too. 

I love how we have some tactical genius' on this site

Loving these kinds of posts at the moment. I wonder if you ever posted this when people had a go at McLeish?
What's that got to do with anything?

The fact is you'll make a sarcastic comment like that for Lambert but I bet when people criticised McLeish you had no problem with it. And he was doing better at this point than Lambert now is.

Yeah but it's just another attempt to belittle those who want Lambert out, because obviously anyone who thinks he isn't doing good enough thinks they could do a better job themselves, better off just to ignore.

Â