Paul Lambert

limpid

Maybe, maybe not, but no manager in the last 30 years has had to manage the club with a budget more suited to relegation candidates.

This keeps coming up as the mitigating factor for Lambert. I just don't buy it.

Yes, we are not going to walk into Champions League with our budget and, as such, fans expectation is sufficiently lowered....

... and Lambert is failing to meet even those lowly standards. I see nothing to convince me that throwing money at the problem will help us any more than it would have under McLeish's stewardship.

Can anyone look at our squad and honestly say 12 points from 18 games is the absolute best they could achieve?

If the answer is yes then I assume you're related to lambert.

Its quite clear its not so I think at the moment its pretty pointless to keep banging on about financial restrictions and his working conditions.

Why ask the question if you are going to tell people the answer that you expect?

To prove a theory?

And what theory might that be then?

I dont think Lambert should be sacked and I sont think he will be and the reason for both is linked

I do not think there is a manager we have had in the last thirty years who could have worked under these circumstances and basically done as well in the transfer market and retain our status.  The squad of players we have is good,  will get better for our future and if sold will earn us more money. 

He will not be sacked as the club is in limbo,  we will not attract anyone better or more able,  someone else will want to bring their own players in which will mean dismantling this and starting again,  ie transition and transition at this point will mean relegation

Lerner does not want to spend the money to sack him,  either sack him money or transfer money it is the same money.  This is why Lerner is worse than Ellis

The situation we are in as a club we would never have been like this under Ellis

It just feels like will we will walk the tight rope of relegation until a buyer comes along or Lerner changes his mind. Unfortunately I think relegation will come first.

I know what you are saying and yes that is a fear for us at the minute,  it's where we are as a club right now (I digress but for me a lot of the feelings amongst some of the fan base are because people still feel we are a club competing or should be competing top 6 top 8) but I just feel we have more chance of being relegated if we get a new manager than sticking with Paul who has proven he can keep us in this league.

I know things are bad right now,  they really are and he has made mistakes .  BUT every manager makes mistakes with Paul he doesnt have the flexibility or leeway to be able to make many mistakes,  it is a near impossible job right now.  Consider this as his brief

Keep the team in the division first and foremost

Budget for transfer fees is bottom 5

Budget for wages is less than that

Make more progress each year

Try and recruit another new assistant manager

Oh and by the way you cant make many mistakes in what you do so every decision has to be close to perfect

Not sure I'd want that role to be fair.

Could things have gone better yes they could and he would acknowledge that himself. But right now for us I'd bet he'll keep us in the league

See as a club who is in our position we are going to have these results,  we are going to be competing in the bottom 7 clubs in the league this is what it means.  It does not mean that we have great results all season then drop into the bottom 7 during the last month.  We are in an around the bottom 7 now.

That does not mean that we wouldnt score since before Adam was a lad or should expect or accept that,  and I know Lambert doesnt either.  Yes thats pretty bad.  But it's not goals we need really it's points on the board.  I know that sounds silly but consider the last few results

Lost 2-0 to plop,  lost 1-0 to Leicester,  drew 0-0 with Palace drew 0-0 with blunderland

Awful really awful

BUT

Say we'd lost 3-2 to plop,  lost 2-1 to leicester,  drew 2-2 with palace and 3-3 with blunderland,  would you be happier? Still the same results.  I know goals scored is what people are focussing on right now and yes it's an important part of the game accepted.  For me i'd rather we didnt concede much and could sneak a goal to win it as to be honest we aren't a team who are going to dominate right now we'll need to scrape a result or two.  And yes some of that is down to the manager but there are other factors at this club some on the playing side and some not on the playing side which to me mean he gets my backing.

This is EXACTLY my viewpoint

The budget is an excuse for not winning games yeah, but it cannot be the excuse for not scoring goals.

But to win games you have to score goals. So how can it be a valid excuse for one but not for the other?

Teams below us are scoring goals but are still shite. Burnley, Hull Leicester. Its not the budget, its the manager!

Don't get me wrong its hard work with the constraints but there is just no excuses for the lack of goals. We were scoring goals last season with worst team. We were scoring begining of the season without Benteke, there is just no defence.

I see nothing to convince me that throwing money at the problem will help us any more than it would have under McLeish's stewardship.

UAwiK1H.gif

No way that isn't photoshopped/edited.

A villa midfielder, beating a man, laying it off and charging into the box for the return?

**** off, you must think I was born yesterday!

• Like 3

I dont think Lambert should be sacked and I sont think he will be and the reason for both is linked

I do not think there is a manager we have had in the last thirty years who could have worked under these circumstances and basically done as well in the transfer market and retain our status.  The squad of players we have is good,  will get better for our future and if sold will earn us more money. 

He will not be sacked as the club is in limbo,  we will not attract anyone better or more able,  someone else will want to bring their own players in which will mean dismantling this and starting again,  ie transition and transition at this point will mean relegation

Lerner does not want to spend the money to sack him,  either sack him money or transfer money it is the same money.  This is why Lerner is worse than Ellis

The situation we are in as a club we would never have been like this under Ellis

I also don't think Lambert should be sacked until the end of our last game of the season. 

However, there have been managers that worked in the same and even worse situations. We were in this same position under Doug, even a worse one, actually. Lerner is awful but he's not worse than Doug, He's the Lambert to Doug's Mcleish.

IMO. 

That does not mean that we wouldnt score since before Adam was a lad or should expect or accept that,  and I know Lambert doesnt either.  Yes thats pretty bad.  But it's not goals we need really it's points on the board.  I know that sounds silly but consider the last few results

Lost 2-0 to plop,  lost 1-0 to Leicester,  drew 0-0 with Palace drew 0-0 with blunderland

Awful really awful

BUT

Say we'd lost 3-2 to plop,  lost 2-1 to leicester,  drew 2-2 with palace and 3-3 with blunderland,  would you be happier? Still the same results.

If the bolded was the case there would be some hope of having something to work with

either concede less or score more

to simply NOT SCORE ANY GOALS means only a draw is possible as the best achievable result.

as soon as we concede its game over

• Like 1

Can anyone look at our squad and honestly say 12 points from 18 games is the absolute best they could achieve?

If the answer is yes then I assume you're related to lambert.

Its quite clear its not so I think at the moment its pretty pointless to keep banging on about financial restrictions and his working conditions.

Why ask the question if you are going to tell people the answer that you expect?

To prove a theory?

And what theory might that be then?

Well, I can't really answer for DC but since he doesn't tell people the answer he expects - he just states what his reaction to a certain answer will be - that point is moot. I just answered your question. Scientists work out a theory and then test to prove whether or not that theory is true, so they would ask a question having told people what the answer they expect is. Edited by Villanun

Say we'd lost 3-2 to plop,  lost 2-1 to leicester,  drew 2-2 with palace and 3-3 with blunderland,  would you be happier? Still the same results.  

Yes, actually - same number of points, more entertaining games. And eight occasions to celebrate a Villa goal!

Trying to develop a theme that somehow it's a good thing we are scoring so few goals, and that scoring more would be a bad thing, seems particularly perverse, and maybe the last desperate defence of a manager whose light is dimming.

If we had achieved those higher scoring results, I would be interested to know if anyone would have come on here arguing for a 0-2, 0-1, 0-0, 0-0 sequence in their place.

• Like 3

I see nothing to convince me that throwing money at the problem will help us any more than it would have under McLeish's stewardship.

I see what your saying Oz, but you are wrong. This is the Premier League and if there is one single thing that can help any team, then it's chucking money at it.

I'm not saying it would make Lambert a better coach or hide his tactical shortcomings, but more expensive ( or 'better') players on higher wages would help us NO END.

Take Mourhino as an example. Most would agree he is a world class coach and tactically astute no?

He wanted to win the league this year and realised he needed more goals and more consistent quality in midfield.

Did he get there by extensively coaching his already expensively assembled squad and overhauling his tactics?

Did he ****. He chucked a load of cash at signing Costa and Fabregas - job done!

Translate this to Villa and a couple of players who Lambert has admitted an interest in, before they signed for the current clubs; Coutinho and Sissoko.

He couldn't sign either due to budget (and there have no doubt been countless others).

Would Lambert be a better coach if we had those two in our side? No

Would we be a better side for having them in our team under Lambert? I would strongly argue the answer would be yes.

Players make the biggest difference, coaching and tactics are a distant second

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

Â