Paul Lambert

limpid

if we don't finish higher than 15th again this season I think the manager has to go in the summer regardless.

I think that, even if we do finish higher than 15th, he needs to go unless the style of play actually starts to resemble something that'll move us forward. We've had 4 years of going nowhere now, that can't continue. Houllier at least was working on something long term, since then it's been a case of stay up this season, and worry about next season next season. That's no way to run a football club

if we don't finish higher than 15th again this season I think the manager has to go in the summer regardless.

I think that, even if we do finish higher than 15th, he needs to go unless the style of play actually starts to resemble something that'll move us forward. We've had 4 years of going nowhere now, that can't continue. Houllier at least was working on something long term, since then it's been a case of stay up this season, and worry about next season next season. That's no way to run a football club

Yep, fair enough.

As for methods and ideas, if we replace the manager now we need a pragmatist, not a philosopher. Different story in the summer. BTW if we don't finish higher than 15th again this season I think the manager has to go in the summer regardless.

Good point and I'd agree but even a pragmatist will need to differ from the tried and failed approach of the incumbent (which is the big problem) and therefore will benefit from having more time with the team. Which is why I said 'ideally'.

Yeah I was in the upper Holte and it looked full to me.

Lambert for me has 4/5 games including Bournemouth to prove he can stop the rot. If we lose all of those it's going to be pretty difficult for him to continue, though I'm at a total loss as to who we could bring in. Lerner must continue to back the manager this month though - I hope he can see the danger we could be in.

It'll be to late chap. As far as I can see the team is looking better than its ever been. More signings, unless world class won't make much difference. Lambert now has to consentrate on getting 100% out of the players we have got.

Paul Lambert 28 December:

"Things have gone against us in the last third, there’s been good goalkeeping. But if the lads keep creating chances they will go in."

No. of league goals since 28 December:

Paul Lambert 17 January:

"If we keep doing what we’re doing the goals will come."

:bang:  :bang:

So what you're saying is that we need to stop creating chances to score goals?   :detect:

Err, Nah...

More that Lambert has  no clue how to get us scoring goals again but seems to hope that, if he promises it will happen often enough, it will come true.

• Like 1

The manager has to go regardless of what happens for the rest of the season, he just simply has to go. 

Think like McLeish he will probably see it till the end of the season and should part ways.

I thought that last season, when he achieved the same amount of points as McLeish when he was sacked.

I'm 100% with you. Zero improvement from him so really should go. He would have to perform miracles the next 16 games to make me change my mind.

This season it's taken around 20 games for the fan base to be completely divided, if he stays the first bad run next year will be the same.

IMO nothing good can come from keeping him.

• Like 1

Keeping his head? Its really helping isn't it.

Feels more like denial and delusion
Exactly.....

After all we dominated the game yesterday according to Lambert. I was there and we categorically did not dominate

I was there too and thought we dominated the second period after the changes. He is on borrowed time so has nothing to lose, cut the crap and get on the offensive!

We are Aston Villa!

I'm telling you now, he won't do what you want. It has been 3 seasons and he has not taken the shackles off for a sustained period of time once. Not once. It's not in his repertoire.

Dominating for 10 minutes once every few games is as good as it gets. It will be a miracle if we stay up this time.

We did dominate for 20 minutes max yeah, but then Rogers reacted and changed it round a bit, which nullified our attack and helped them score that 2nd goal. Lambert looked baffled as to why that happened. I saw it coming.

The goal came against the run of play, at a time we were dominant and it knocked the stuffing out of us. You make it sound like Rogers tactically outsmarted Lambert in some way. I think Lambert was brought on to simply give them an out ball as we kept coming at Liverpool and the goal was well taken but somewhat fortunate, but I dont blame Lambert for everything that goes on, all the time, whether he is culpable or not.

• Like 1

I genuinely don't think Lambert is the problem, we all know it's Lerner.

I think it's possible that they're both different problems.

Two incompetent persons at the same club? That can't be possible  ;)

• Like 1

Some of the comments here are utterly ridiculous

Richard you may know something which would put a different view on things but I think it is fair to say that he is losing support rapidly because we can't score goals. We go on long runs of not getting results because of it. There isn't a chance he will see out his 4 year contract because if he does then Villa Park will be half empty.

I think the lack of goals we cost us our premiership status with a team which is probably as strong as the manager has had during his tenure.

The FA cup game could be a game he cannot afford to lose.

• Like 1

Over two and a half years there have been too many false dawns with Lambert. A couple of good performances and results in a season are seen by some as 'we are turning the corner' but time and time again these couple of good performances and results have been followed by longer periods of very poor performances and results.

We should not be having a thread dedicated to the manager that is now 1370 pages long after only 1 year with the vast majority of those pages discussing his failures and poor performances (whatever your personal stance on Lambert).

After all this time these pages should be dedicated to more positive debate and perhaps the odd moan as to why we narrowly lost to Chelsea or Man City and failed to break into the top eight because of it.

Instead, with each passing game, week and month we are lamenting the latest failure against a team in the relegation zone or the fact that we have scored less goals in the last few months than a bunch of fans in a Soccer AM shootout.

Some of us have been saying for a long time that Lambert needs to go while others have recently come to this conclusion and a few still, for whatever reason, back him. However, the facts don't lie and the performances are there for all to see and it is becoming so increasingly frustrating to expect not to score a goal in any game we go into let alone actually win one once in a while.

Every day I check the sports news to see if Lambert has been sacked because that is the only positive thing I have left to look forward to with regard to AVFC.

• Like 3

The way I see it :

1) the financial constraints will not improve while Lerner is in charge

2) we can all pretty much agree that despite one of the lowest transfer budgets in the league, Lambert has built a team that should be capable of say, 10th-12th

3) he consistently cannot get the most out of those players and we seem to end up nearer relegation places (15th)

4) while a new manager may well be capable of getting this squad of players up to about 10th, it's unlikely that he will also have Lamberts eye for a player - managers that can pick up bargain players and get them to consistently over perform won't come to Villa, and if they do it won't be for long as every team would love a manager like this

5) if another manager doesn't have as good a transfer history as Lambert, our squad will gradually become weaker the longer they stay with us

6) a weaker squad will eventually get relegated, regardless of who's in charge

Ask yourselves what you would rather, someone who can take the 18th best transfer budget, and buy players capable of getting 10th underperforming in 15th - or someone who will take the 18th best transfer budget, gradually turn our team into one that can only achieve 18th and inevitably get relegated?

Now obviously it's not as simple as that, but I do worry if we sack Lambert. Yes on the field he's getting it wrong, but him getting it right off the field is what's saving us at the moment. To improve we would need to get a manager who is every bit as good in the transfer market as Lambert AND can consistently get the best out of players, and those managers are hard to find - given Lerners history of employing managers, how anyone trusts him to find that candidate is a mystery and IMO extremely unlikely. It's far more likely we would get some short term improvements before slipping further downwards. Again, nothing is certain, but I'd say that was a more likely scenario given Randy Lerners poor track record and the general difficulty in finding managers that can do that (see Ole Gunnar S... for an example of how easy it is to get wrong)

We are underachieving based on the team we have, but based on the money we've spent we're probably about bang on. The best long term we could realistically expect to happen from signing a new manager (unless by some stroke of pure luck they turn out to be the next Fergie) is short term gain, followed by a gradual decline as our bargain, better quality players get replaced by players that aren't as good. End result being worse players getting largely the same results. That's realistic, worst case we go down, best case we get mid table. Is it worth the risk when the most realistic scenario sees us being the same as we are now but with worse players?

I also find it ridiculous that people suggested Pulis, a true short term manager so desperate to keep his 'never been relegated' USP that he bails the second things don't go his own way or he's told he can't sign a first choice player - which would be as soon as a transfer window opens for us leaving us back at square one.

I hate to say it with the boring football of late, but given the state of our club, Lambert and Villa are a good fit. The transfer budget and wage structure from the club should see us flirting with relegation, and that's exactly what we're doing. Changes can only come from the top and filter down, otherwise it's meaningless.

.....I could'nt disagree with you more.

Â