Paul Lambert

limpid

It wouldn't hurt for him to say he is feeling the pressure, comes across he ain't to bothered, an either way his job is safe.

The unfortunate reality is that he probably isn't feeling much. Why would you when you are rewarded with a new four-year contract on the back of a 38 point season?

Edited by Isa

Why are we completely shit and lose to Sheffield Utd, Leyton Orient, Millwall, Bradford over two legs and struggle against the likes of Blackpool if it's all down to Budget? 

We also struggled to beat and even lost to lower placed teams under the great Ron Saunders and other "Better" managers - so nothing new there - that is typical Aston Villa regardless of Chairman and Manager. IMO

• Like 1

Would we be a better side for having them in our team under Lambert? I would strongly argue the answer would be yes.

Players make the biggest difference, coaching and tactics are a distant second

Good post, agree with most points, not so much with the last.

However, don't we already have better players on paper than most teams in the bottom half? Think about which other team's squad would you take over Aston Villa's, let's say top 15 or top 18 players. Same for last season's squad. Our players aren't world beaters and some of them are highly overrated on here, but they're plenty good not to be circling around 40 points per season.

You are spot on there and that's where I firmly agree with those that want him out. He should, without question, be doing better than he is with the players he has. No argument.

What I don't agree with is some assessments of his performance and those who think we should be doing MATERIALLY better than we are.

I look at the table and think, we should be about where Stoke and Newcastle currently are. That for me is realistically where I think we should be, taking everything into account. So in my view, 6/7 points more and he would be doing a 'good' job. Therefore I'm not prepared the call the guy a complete word removed and say he's the worst manager ever, mainly because he isn't.

To put my argument about coaching vs cash another way;

If Lerner came on here now and started a thread with a poll and opened with the following line;

"I'm not going to sack the manager, but I am prepared to either a) employ a brilliant, proven coach to assist Lambert or B) give Lambert £30m + plus an increase in wage budget this month.

Whichever you vote for I will do. "

Which would have the bigger impact on the standard of the team and which would you vote for?

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

I dont think Lambert should be sacked and I sont think he will be and the reason for both is linked

I do not think there is a manager we have had in the last thirty years who could have worked under these circumstances and basically done as well in the transfer market and retain our status.  The squad of players we have is good,  will get better for our future and if sold will earn us more money. 

He will not be sacked as the club is in limbo,  we will not attract anyone better or more able,  someone else will want to bring their own players in which will mean dismantling this and starting again,  ie transition and transition at this point will mean relegation

Lerner does not want to spend the money to sack him,  either sack him money or transfer money it is the same money.  This is why Lerner is worse than Ellis

The situation we are in as a club we would never have been like this under Ellis

Correct in this respect. Ellis would have sacked Lambert long ago.

I dont think Lambert should be sacked and I sont think he will be and the reason for both is linked

I do not think there is a manager we have had in the last thirty years who could have worked under these circumstances and basically done as well in the transfer market and retain our status.  The squad of players we have is good,  will get better for our future and if sold will earn us more money. 

He will not be sacked as the club is in limbo,  we will not attract anyone better or more able,  someone else will want to bring their own players in which will mean dismantling this and starting again,  ie transition and transition at this point will mean relegation

Lerner does not want to spend the money to sack him,  either sack him money or transfer money it is the same money.  This is why Lerner is worse than Ellis

The situation we are in as a club we would never have been like this under Ellis

Yep. Ellis tended to provide a budget that a top 8 side would expect, so he would definitely sack a manager whose side did as badly as Lambert's budget battlers are doing.

• Like 1

Briny that is not saying its a good thing that we are scoring few goals or that scoring more would be a bad thing. I'd love us to score 5 or 6 each game and dominate.

What it is saying is we aren't going to be doing that right now so i'd rather keep it tight and sneak a goal or so, we will need to scrape some wins right now.

I'd love the latter right now, only we are doing neither Richard and haven't been for quite a while. So at what point, for you, is enough enough and it's time to take a gamble for our safety's sake?

Old Briny, he say, as soon as a manager starts telling us he can "handle the pressure", the end is not far off.

I do wish he'd stop going on about the history of the club as though the fanbase is only annoyed because we're not in the Champions League. We ought to be performing better than we are - our current predicament is not just circumstantial, we (he) should be doing better and I wish he'd acknowledge it rather than talking about 1982. 

I liked your post Patrick and I agree.  Perhaps he feels he has to though.

I don't think he does have to though, we all know about the glory years of the club. It's also irrelevant. Even if we were West Brom there would be pressure and unrest after a dismal run like we're on. 

I know that we know.  Issue is sometimes a manager gets criticised  for "not knowing the glorious history of a club" (whichever the club).  I think he is just trying (perhaps a little too much or too often) to tell us he gets it

Yep. Ellis tended to provide a budget that a top 8 side would expect, so he would definitely sack a manager whose side did as badly as Lambert's budget battlers are doing.

If you want to believe that Ellis would not have sacked Lambert by this stage, I have to disagree.

Briny that is not saying its a good thing that we are scoring few goals or that scoring more would be a bad thing. I'd love us to score 5 or 6 each game and dominate.

What it is saying is we aren't going to be doing that right now so i'd rather keep it tight and sneak a goal or so, we will need to scrape some wins right now.

I'd love the latter right now, only we are doing neither Richard and haven't been for quite a while. So at what point, for you, is enough enough and it's time to take a gamble for our safety's sake?

who knows and why is it important if / when I change my mind?  Everyone on here has a different opinion,  some are similar some not.  Why does mine have to change?

If you want to believe that Ellis would not have sacked Lambert by this stage, I have to disagree.

?? I said he would have.

• Like 1

who knows and why is it important if / when I change my mind?  Everyone on here has a different opinion,  some are similar some not.  Why does mine have to change?

Your justification becomes even less valid when basically what you are saying is you are happy to support Lambert whatever the consequences.

• Like 1

?? I said he would have.

You had the proviso that I highlighted. Ellis sacked managers for poor performance even when he provided little funds.

We wouldn't be in this situation if Ellis was chairman? We wouldn't have had a crack at top four if he was! The only thing Ellis was better at was sacking managers. He knew how to keep the fans half onside. Lambert would've been gone over 12 months ago! I agreed with Lerner sticking with Lambert but even with a better squad we aren't improving. He needs to pull a couple of cracking signings out of somewhere to instill creativity. I just hope he doesn't coach any attacking intent out of them!!

• Like 2

He should be feeling the pressure. Thats a touch too close to "this is only Villa, I was in the big time once" for my liking tbh

Once a manager starts turning on the fans, the end is not far away (Old Briny sayings no.23)

• Like 1

He should be feeling the pressure. Thats a touch too close to "this is only Villa, I was in the big time once" for my liking tbh

Damned if he does damned if he doesnt.

On the one hand he is getting criticised for talking about how big we are and our history on the other a statement he makes is then interpreted as saying the club isnt big enough!!!

Plus if he were to say "the pressure is really tough to be honest" what would people say then?  Damned if he does damned if he doesnt

So as we have people telling me whatever happens I will back him,  so we have other fans that no matter what happens they wont back him perhaps?

Your justification becomes even less valid when basically what you are saying is you are happy to support Lambert whatever the consequences.

Why does my opinion become less valid? I support the manager and will continue to do so that is my opinion and my choice it is not less valid

If we have a good squad of players, then surely we should not be scrapping past the likes of Blackpool? If that's the case then the poor results must be down to bad management.

It can't be claimed that we have a good squad of players at the same time as using the budget to defend him.

Damned if he does damned if he doesnt.

On the one hand he is getting criticised for talking about how big we are and our history on the other a statement he makes is then interpreted as saying the club isnt big enough!!!

Plus if he were to say "the pressure is really tough to be honest" what would people say then? Damned if he does damned if he doesnt

So as we have people telling me whatever happens I will back him, so we have other fans that no matter what happens they wont back him perhaps?

Tbh, if he didn't have us playing the worst football I've seen in years, a lack goals and breaking many unwanted records, I doubt he would be damned at all.

• Like 2

Â