Paul Lambert

limpid

The way I see it :

1) the financial constraints will not improve while Lerner is in charge

2) we can all pretty much agree that despite one of the lowest transfer budgets in the league, Lambert has built a team that should be capable of say, 10th-12th

3) he consistently cannot get the most out of those players and we seem to end up nearer relegation places (15th)

4) while a new manager may well be capable of getting this squad of players up to about 10th, it's unlikely that he will also have Lamberts eye for a player - managers that can pick up bargain players and get them to consistently over perform won't come to Villa, and if they do it won't be for long as every team would love a manager like this

5) if another manager doesn't have as good a transfer history as Lambert, our squad will gradually become weaker the longer they stay with us

6) a weaker squad will eventually get relegated, regardless of who's in charge

Ask yourselves what you would rather, someone who can take the 18th best transfer budget, and buy players capable of getting 10th underperforming in 15th - or someone who will take the 18th best transfer budget, gradually turn our team into one that can only achieve 18th and inevitably get relegated?

Now obviously it's not as simple as that, but I do worry if we sack Lambert. Yes on the field he's getting it wrong, but him getting it right off the field is what's saving us at the moment. To improve we would need to get a manager who is every bit as good in the transfer market as Lambert AND can consistently get the best out of players, and those managers are hard to find - given Lerners history of employing managers, how anyone trusts him to find that candidate is a mystery and IMO extremely unlikely. It's far more likely we would get some short term improvements before slipping further downwards. Again, nothing is certain, but I'd say that was a more likely scenario given Randy Lerners poor track record and the general difficulty in finding managers that can do that (see Ole Gunnar S... for an example of how easy it is to get wrong)

We are underachieving based on the team we have, but based on the money we've spent we're probably about bang on. The best long term we could realistically expect to happen from signing a new manager (unless by some stroke of pure luck they turn out to be the next Fergie) is short term gain, followed by a gradual decline as our bargain, better quality players get replaced by players that aren't as good. End result being worse players getting largely the same results. That's realistic, worst case we go down, best case we get mid table. Is it worth the risk when the most realistic scenario sees us being the same as we are now but with worse players?

I also find it ridiculous that people suggested Pulis, a true short term manager so desperate to keep his 'never been relegated' USP that he bails the second things don't go his own way or he's told he can't sign a first choice player - which would be as soon as a transfer window opens for us leaving us back at square one.

I hate to say it with the boring football of late, but given the state of our club, Lambert and Villa are a good fit. The transfer budget and wage structure from the club should see us flirting with relegation, and that's exactly what we're doing. Changes can only come from the top and filter down, otherwise it's meaningless.

.....I could'nt disagree with you more.

Which part do you disagree with?

The further and more deep rooted this problem is :

lets just say Lambert is sacked on Monday morning.....it should have happened months ago.

so where does this leave this ill run outfit....hey it hasn't even happened yet which makes it even more laughable.

The way I see it :

2) we can all pretty much agree that despite one of the lowest transfer budgets in the league, Lambert has built a team that should be capable of say, 10th-12th

3) he consistently cannot get the most out of those players and we seem to end up nearer relegation places (15th)

4) while a new manager may well be capable of getting this squad of players up to about 10th, it's unlikely that he will also have Lamberts eye for a player - managers that can pick up bargain players and get them to consistently over perform won't come to Villa, and if they do it won't be for long as every team would love a manager like this

5) if another manager doesn't have as good a transfer history as Lambert, our squad will gradually become weaker the longer they stay with us

Ask yourselves what you would rather, someone who can take the 18th best transfer budget, and buy players capable of getting 10th underperforming in 15th - or someone who will take the 18th best transfer budget, gradually turn our team into one that can only achieve 18th and inevitably get relegated?

Now obviously it's not as simple as that, but I do worry if we sack Lambert. Yes on the field he's getting it wrong, but him getting it right off the field is what's saving us at the moment. To improve we would need to get a manager who is every bit as good in the transfer market as Lambert AND can consistently get the best out of players, and those managers are hard to find - given Lerners history of employing managers, how anyone trusts him to find that candidate is a mystery and IMO extremely unlikely. It's far more likely we would get some short term improvements before slipping further downwards. Again, nothing is certain, but I'd say that was a more likely scenario given Randy Lerners poor track record and the general difficulty in finding managers that can do that (see Ole Gunnar S... for an example of how easy it is to get wrong)

We are underachieving based on the team we have, but based on the money we've spent we're probably about bang on. The best long term we could realistically expect to happen from signing a new manager (unless by some stroke of pure luck they turn out to be the next Fergie) is short term gain, followed by a gradual decline as our bargain, better quality players get replaced by players that aren't as good. End result being worse players getting largely the same results. That's realistic, worst case we go down, best case we get mid table. Is it worth the risk when the most realistic scenario sees us being the same as we are now but with worse players?

I also find it ridiculous that people suggested Pulis, a true short term manager so desperate to keep his 'never been relegated' USP that he bails the second things don't go his own way or he's told he can't sign a first choice player - which would be as soon as a transfer window opens for us leaving us back at square one.

I hate to say it with the boring football of late, but given the state of our club, Lambert and Villa are a good fit. The transfer budget and wage structure from the club should see us flirting with relegation, and that's exactly what we're doing. Changes can only come from the top and filter down, otherwise it's meaningless.

most of it, particularly in relating to the mitigation you apportion to the manager.

it is not to be denied that he has not had an easy time with finances.

How many men have had wives who have spent recklessly and has cost them their marraiges?

Randy Lerner trusted his managers to spend well.....they didn't and he rained the spending in( eventually)......Had they of spent well, he would have been pushing money in to their hands.....I am amazed at how many fans struggle to comprehend that FACT.

He has had his fingers burnt and this manager is at the brunt of the failings of their predessors.

Having said all of that, we still have a situation where most of our signings temporary or perminent have had form regress as opposed to progress.

The problem is one of multiple contribution and there is no sign of the end of it yet.

I genuinely don't think Lambert is the problem, we all know it's Lerner.

I think it's possible that they're both different problems.

Well when all said and done it is Lerner, because he's almost accepted mundane, boring football because and he hasn't done anything about it. The lack of improvement between season 1 and 2 should have been the catalyst for change. But Lerner doesn't care as long as the club floats around 15th until we're sold.

So although we have a poor manager at the helm, the fact the owner has no foresight to sack the loser is why we sit here with another relegation fight with a team that has scored 11 goals in 22 game is the problem.

• Like 1

Some managers just don't fit some clubs. Moyes had the experience to manage man U he just didn't fit in to what they needed. Unfortunately im begining to think its the same with Lambert. He has never really achieved anything here and I don't think he will. I don't think anyone can disagree, (apart from maybe 1) that any other club in the premiership would have sacked him at the end of the second season, an that being generous, limited funds or not. For me personally I think his best option is to resign, or have 'that' meeting with Lerner and try another club while he still has his reputation.

The way I see it :

most of it, particularly in relating to the mitigation you apportion to the manager.

it is not to be denied that he has not had an easy time with finances.

How many men have had wives who have spent recklessly and has cost them their marraiges?

Randy Lerner trusted his managers to spend well.....they didn't and he rained the spending in( eventually)......Had they of spent well, he would have been pushing money in to their hands.....I am amazed at how many fans struggle to comprehend that FACT.

He has had his fingers burnt and this manager is at the brunt of the failings of their predessors.

Having said all of that, we still have a situation where most of our signings temporary or perminent have had form regress as opposed to progress.

The problem is one of multiple contribution and there is no sign of the end of it yet.

Ok, but I agree with that? The point of my post wasn't "Randy Lerner has never done anything for us and he only ever wanted to ruin us but Lambert is amazing and we're lucky to have him", if it was then I would have said it.

I wasn't debating the reasons for Lerner withdrawing his funding, and I agree had MON spent it wisely we would be nowhere near this mess, but he didn't and the rest is history, I was simply stating he has withdrawn it, leaving us with a meagre transfer budget and wage cap and this shows no sign of changing.

My argument (and I hate to think of myself as "pro Lambert" because like anyone else I'm bored at the football on display and not happy with results) is that given the constraints that we have and will continue to have it will take a very shrewd managerial appointment to improve us long term. I don't see the point in replacing Lambert for a short term gain, then be left well and truly without a paddle, we may as well stick with what we've got until we are prepared to change from top to bottom.

My local pub has been through a dozen landlords in the last ten years all with big new ideas and plans to make it great, every single time there was a short term boost with loads of people going for it before it just dwindled again as it was the same pub, the same prices, the same everything just with a different person there. The brewery have since come in and done a £500,000 renovation, they employed the most rude and unlikeable manager that I've ever seen but the place is booming now - now obviously a football club is a different proposition from a pub but the principle is the same - changes HAVE to come from the top or else nothing really changes, it'll just be a different wrapper for the same old crap

Do I think we should stick with Lambert forever? God no. But until we are ready to change the way the club is run I don't see any point, anything we do is short term and I can't see it benefiting us. Once things change, either by Randy selling, or by him fully committing, then yes we should sack Lambert and get a new man for a new era and a fresh start. Until then I can only see the same old drivel we're getting now, and (touch wood) at least Lamberts drivel has kept us in the league so far, someone else's drivel may not have

• Like 3

Some managers just don't fit some clubs. Moyes had the experience to manage man U he just didn't fit in to what they needed. Unfortunately im begining to think its the same with Lambert. He has never really achieved anything here and I don't think he will. I don't think anyone can disagree, (apart from maybe 1) that any other club in the premiership would have sacked him at the end of the second season, an that being generous, limited funds or not. For me personally I think his best option is to resign, or have 'that' meeting with Lerner and try another club while he still has his reputation.

We don't play in the premiership

Just for you "Premier league." Is my grammer ok for you too!

• Like 1

Why was it felt needed to nitpick this? Everyone on earth knows what he means.
Pet hate of mine.

It hasn't been the premiership for almost a decade.

Edited by Stevo985

Well now that you mention it, no not really. Although I'm unsure whether you were asking me or not...
  • Like 3

Well now that you mention it, no not really. Although I'm unsure whether you were asking me or not...

Just let it go. Your post was uncalled for.

Why was it felt needed to nitpick this? Everyone on earth knows what he means. 

Even the cannibalistic Biami tribe of Papua New Guinea? I think not.

Pfft

• Like 3

It was a joke.

Sorry I didn't put the obligatory smiley.

I know villa are shit at the moment but lighten up for **** sake!

In reality, almost all posts on here are "uncalled for". That's what makes it so interesting, is it not?

Sorry if that's also a rather nitpicking point.  :) 

Some of the comments here are utterly ridiculous

They are. How anyone can defend Lambert defies belief. Utterly ridiculous in the extreme.

no I was thinking more of the comments that either intentionally or not seek to drive a wedge between fans and basically bully some fans into supporting an opinion
  • Like 3

Â