Paul Lambert

limpid

Would we be a better side for having them in our team under Lambert? I would strongly argue the answer would be yes.

Players make the biggest difference, coaching and tactics are a distant second

Good post, agree with most points, not so much with the last.

However, don't we already have better players on paper than most teams in the bottom half? Think about which other team's squad would you take over Aston Villa's, let's say top 15 or top 18 players. Same for last season's squad. Our players aren't world beaters and some of them are highly overrated on here, but they're plenty good not to be circling around 40 points per season. 

Why?  He has said he is not feeling the pressure and I dont think he is. How is that coming across as if you were born yesterday?  It is him saying how he feels

Say we'd lost 3-2 to plop,  lost 2-1 to leicester,  drew 2-2 with palace and 3-3 with blunderland,  would you be happier? Still the same results.  I know goals scored is what people are focussing on right now and yes it's an important part of the game accepted.  For me i'd rather we didnt concede much and could sneak a goal to win it as to be honest we aren't a team who are going to dominate right now we'll need to scrape a result or two.  And yes some of that is down to the manager but there are other factors at this club some on the playing side and some not on the playing side which to me mean he gets my backing.

Yes, I'd be happier.  Not by much, but scoring goals at least gives you a chance of winning games and gives supporters something to cheer and that in itself might lift the team.   There's also the point that if a team finishes level on points and goal difference, then goals scored is the next determining factor, and it's very tight at the bottom this year.  I get your meaning though, and of course points are what counts, but to use an extreme example, I'd rather win 12 games 2-1 and lose the rest to get 36 points, than draw 36 games 0-0.

• Like 3

Trying to develop a theme that somehow it's a good thing we are scoring so few goals, and that scoring more would be a bad thing, seems particularly perverse, 

yes it would be.  good job that isnt what I have done at all then isnt it.

Why?  He has said he is not feeling the pressure and I dont think he is. How is that coming across as if you were born yesterday?  It is him saying how he feels

Of course he isn't feeling any pressure, he works for one of the most inept, disinterested owners in football who has just given him a four year new deal.  Lambert probably thinks it's still Christmas and his birthday rolled into one.  He'll probably be given a new Ferrari when he beats his own record for not scoring goals.

Trying to develop a theme that somehow it's a good thing we are scoring so few goals, and that scoring more would be a bad thing, seems particularly perverse, 

yes it would be.  good job that isnt what I have done at all then isnt it.

Quite right, you absolutely didn't say this

i'd rather we didnt concede much and could sneak a goal to win it as to be honest we aren't a team who are going to dominate right now we'll need to scrape a result or two.

;)

I always enjoy reading your posts, Richard, because they are very well-argued and logical.

Maybe in this case your logic took you to a place you didn't expect.

Briny that is not saying its a good thing that we are scoring few goals or that scoring more would be a bad thing. I'd love us to score 5 or 6 each game and dominate.

What it is saying is we aren't going to be doing that right now so i'd rather keep it tight and sneak a goal or so,  we will need to scrape some wins right now.

Old Briny, he say, as soon as a manager starts telling us he can "handle the pressure", the end is not far off.

I do wish he'd stop going on about the history of the club as though the fanbase is only annoyed because we're not in the Champions League. We ought to be performing better than we are - our current predicament is not just circumstantial, we (he) should be doing better and I wish he'd acknowledge it rather than talking about 1982. 

I liked your post Patrick and I agree.  Perhaps he feels he has to though.

Old Briny, he say, as soon as a manager starts telling us he can "handle the pressure", the end is not far off.

I do wish he'd stop going on about the history of the club as though the fanbase is only annoyed because we're not in the Champions League. We ought to be performing better than we are - our current predicament is not just circumstantial, we (he) should be doing better and I wish he'd acknowledge it rather than talking about 1982. 

I liked your post Patrick and I agree.  Perhaps he feels he has to though.

I don't think he does have to though, we all know about the glory years of the club. It's also irrelevant. Even if we were West Brom there would be pressure and unrest after a dismal run like we're on. 

He definitely has one of the safest jobs in football, atleast top level football anyway.

Yes he does unfortunatley, even when we get dumped out of the FA cup by Bournemouth he wont feel any pressure, well not from Lerner anyway.

It wouldn't hurt for him to say he is feeling the pressure, comes across he ain't to bothered, an either way his job is safe.

Anyway some people have very low expectations for a team which is much better than when Lambert took over, but now the results are worst than they have ever been.

It wouldn't hurt for him to say he is feeling the pressure, comes across he ain't to bothered, an either way his job is safe.

Anyway some people have very low expectations for a team which is much better than when Lambert took over, but now the results are worst than they have ever been.

Im not sure how much he gets paid a year, but I suppose it's a decent salary he gets. It must be nice to have that sort of money going into your bank account whilst being bloody useless at your job. Wish I could get a gig like Lamberts. Yeah I agree it has an element of "I dont care" about it, maybe he doesnt?

• Like 1

How can you say the team is "much better"?  What do you base this on?

Our defence is not much better in terms of goals conceded than it was at this point last season. We've shipped 25 goals this season, after 22 games last season we had shipped 29 goals from the first 22 games. However, goals for is a lot different. We had scored 22 goals at this point last season, compared to 11 this season. In terms of points there's not much difference as we only had 24 points after 22 games last season, 2 more than this season. However, we were 6 points above the bottom 3 at this time last season. This time around we are only 3 points above.

The final gap between us and the bottom 3 last season was 5 points, meaning we lost 1 point of our advantage that we had at the 22 game point. A similar return in this season's last 16 games would put us right down there in the midst of the teams in the dogfight and considering our final game is against Burnley it could be a battle of the Claret & Blues on the final day to see who goes down and who stays up.

Our last 4 away games are: Man Utd, Spurs, Man City & Southampton.

Our last 4 home games are: QPR, Everton, West Ham & Burnley.

How many points do you think Lambert could get this team to take out of those last 8 fixtures?

Our defence is not much better in terms of goals conceded than it was at this point last season. We've shipped 25 goals this season, after 22 games last season we had shipped 29 goals from the first 22 games. However, goals for is a lot different. We had scored 22 goals at this point last season, compared to 11 this season. In terms of points there's not much difference as we only had 24 points after 22 games last season, 2 more than this season. However, we were 6 points above the bottom 3 at this time last season. This time around we are only 3 points above.

The final gap between us and the bottom 3 last season was 5 points, meaning we lost 1 point of our advantage that we had at the 22 game point. A similar return in this season's last 16 games would put us right down there in the midst of the teams in the dogfight and considering our final game is against Burnley it could be a battle of the Claret & Blues on the final day to see who goes down and who stays up.

Our last 4 away games are: Man Utd, Spurs, Man City & Southampton.

Our last 4 home games are: QPR, Everton, West Ham & Burnley.

How many points do you think Lambert could get this team to take out of those last 8 fixtures?

Greetings all, new poster here with my view on the current situation. I'll keep this post quite brief as I've read a lot of this thread & don't want to repeat things that have already been mentioned hundreds of times. First off, I'll say that I'm done with Paul Lambert & have been for some time. It's my view that he's a major factor in the negativity around Villa right now & I don't believe he can successfuly (motivate the players and) turn this mess around.

Next, I haven't seen this mentioned so apologies if I've missed it. http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sir-doug-ellis-aston-villa-8450127. The biggest thing I took from this was the absense of Paul Lamberts name. I've read between the lines that Doug is saying that it's now time to ged rid. VIews?

Something else to consider that I've not seen before is Randy Lerners' take on all this. I think it's entirely possible that he's had enough himself (of Lambert) but that he doesn't trust himself to get the next appointment right. That might be way off of course, just thought I'd put it out there as it popped into my head!

Lastly - and like a lot of other posters - I'm completely fed up with Lamberts' evasive press conferences/interviews. I totally understand that you don't want to give the game away but as we've been served up sub-standard football for so long you can be forgiven for looking towards the media for a bit of understanding. HIs complete unwillingness to take any responsibility for anything has gone on for too long now and he's also come full circle with his excuses too. Lambert out, the sooner the better.

Â