Paul Lambert

limpid

But the majority of those were under the old hoofball system. Under the new system, there could be untold wealth of goals if we just managed to get one....

IF!

The problem is I get the impression Lambert wants the team to defend as soon as we go in front rather than going for say a 2nd or a 3rd goal.

I don't see that changing whether we hoof it or pass it sideways.

IF! Yes.

Well all we have to go on is impressions. Because who knows what the plan is when we go ahead. IF we ever go ahead again. It is a very different game when you're one up. We still haven't seen what that game is. Maybe Gil will bring with him that elusive first goal. 

Edited by yillan

But the majority of those were under the old hoofball system. Under the new system, there could be untold wealth of goals if we just managed to get one....

or a 3rd goal.

Pah! And what is this '3rd goal' thing that you speak of?

The Aston Villa manager, Paul Lambert, has urged frustrated fans to call off a planned protest at the start of Saturday’s match at home to Liverpool.

Three unofficial fans’ websites – The Villa Blog, My Old Man Said and A Villa Fan – have called on their fellow supporters to boycott the opening eight minutes of the Premier League game via an open letter. They claim that each minute represents a year for the eight that the club’s owner, Randy Lerner, has been in charge and they are fed up at the way the club is being run.

To rub salt into the wounds of the Villa fans, they have so far seen their side score only 11 league goals this season in 21 games, easily the worst record in the top flight. Following Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Leicester the patience of the fans snapped and they turned on Lambert, calling for him to be sacked.

One local newspaper has this week conducted a poll asking whether the Scot should be dismissed or given more time, with 67% demanding that he go.

“I understand the frustration and nobody is more frustrated than myself,” said Lambert. “Everybody involved with Aston Villa is frustrated at what has happened over the last five or six years since Martin O’Neill left and the team was in the top six.

“Martin had this club buzzing at that time, vying for Europe, going great, and what’s happened has happened. But I don’t think you can look at the chairman and say it’s one guy’s fault. It’s unfair. He has the club’s interest at heart. I understand the fans’ frustrations but we’ll have a better chance of winning a game of football if they don’t protest, if they stick with the lads, no matter how hard it gets at times.

“When the stadium is behind the players it’s a great place to play football and we’ve a better chance of winning if they don’t do it. Whoever has planned it, I hope the guy next to them tries to keep them on their seat. I don’t want Aston Villa fans to come to Villa Park – or even away from home – and not see the team win or not be entertained.”

Lambert insists that he can weather the storm of abuse from the fans as he is determined to instead shield his players. Asked as to how he felt about calls for him to be sacked, he replied: “It’s not great. I’m human, like everybody else, but I’m also big enough and strong enough mentally to handle it. But what I don’t want it to do is affect the players.

“The fans have been great with me up until late and I guess now they are waiting for something to go wrong. All I would say to them is stay behind the side. We need their support when times are tough.”

Lambert has also made it clear he will not quit, saying: “I want to make a success of this. I’m obviously not happy with the way things are going, with what’s happening in the last third of the pitch. But anybody that knows me knows I’m not one for downing tools and walking away. I’ve never done that in my football career, and I don’t intend to do it now.”

From the Gruadani, here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/15/aston-villa-paul-lambert-fans-protest#comment-46202071

Sorry, but that is a very impressive, nuanced interview that says exactly what needs to be said without wasting words. I really like this bloke. I pray we start scoring goals soon, because we can to a LOT worse than have him in charge.

• Like 2

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards, in the long run we'll be better for the passing game we're trying play, as long as we're brave and stick to it.

Did Dortmund start their journey to the Champions League by playing absolute shite possession football with no penetration?

I'm actually asking. I hope the answer is yes

That's the thing people just want us to play in the fashion that's the current fad, so now Germany and Bayern are all the rage. A couple of years ago everyone wanted us to play the passing game because at the time Barelona and Spain were doing so well. What we're trying to do now is an whole lot better than hoof ball we'd previously been playing.

That's the political answer. How about an answer to the question he posed?

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards, in the long run we'll be better for the passing game we're trying play, as long as we're brave and stick to it.

Did Dortmund start their journey to the Champions League by playing absolute shite possession football with no penetration?

I'm actually asking. I hope the answer is yes

That's the thing people just want us to play in the fashion that's the current fad, so now Germany and Bayern are all the rage. A couple of years ago everyone wanted us to play the passing game because at the time Barelona and Spain were doing so well. What we're trying to do now is an whole lot better than hoof ball we'd previously been playing.

That's the political answer. How about an answer to the question he posed?

Well first of all I didn't see much of Dortmund's journey to the Champion's League final but not really sure what it has to do with anything but if they got there in a way that didn't involve playing possesion football doesn't mean we have to try and emulate them, we need to find our own style and to stick with it. Dortmund are one example and look where they are now.

I'm pretty sure that most succesful teams through out history are so because they play the passing game to some extent. Our attempt at possesion football might not have much penetration but that's partly because it's new to the players. Hopefully as they get more used to it and we add a few additions the attack will improve.

"We can do a lot worse than have PL in charge" Oh dear me,11 League goals all Season,embarrassing record after embarrassing record being broke by the idiot in charge,and some are gushing over an article.My oh my,some people are VERY easily pleased...

Have we only scored 11 goals? Have we broken multiple bad records? You know what. That's the first time I've heard that! Outrageous!  ;)

The Aston Villa manager, Paul Lambert, has urged frustrated fans to call off a planned protest at the start of Saturday’s match at home to Liverpool.

Three unofficial fans’ websites – The Villa Blog, My Old Man Said and A Villa Fan – have called on their fellow supporters to boycott the opening eight minutes of the Premier League game via an open letter. They claim that each minute represents a year for the eight that the club’s owner, Randy Lerner, has been in charge and they are fed up at the way the club is being run.To rub salt into the wounds of the Villa fans, they have so far seen their side score only 11 league goals this season in 21 games, easily the worst record in the top flight. Following Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Leicester the patience of the fans snapped and they turned on Lambert, calling for him to be sacked.

One local newspaper has this week conducted a poll asking whether the Scot should be dismissed or given more time, with 67% demanding that he go.“I understand the frustration and nobody is more frustrated than myself,” said Lambert. “Everybody involved with Aston Villa is frustrated at what has happened over the last five or six years since Martin O’Neill left and the team was in the top six.

“Martin had this club buzzing at that time, vying for Europe, going great, and what’s happened has happened. But I don’t think you can look at the chairman and say it’s one guy’s fault. It’s unfair. He has the club’s interest at heart. I understand the fans’ frustrations but we’ll have a better chance of winning a game of football if they don’t protest, if they stick with the lads, no matter how hard it gets at times.“When the stadium is behind the players it’s a great place to play football and we’ve a better chance of winning if they don’t do it. Whoever has planned it, I hope the guy next to them tries to keep them on their seat. I don’t want Aston Villa fans to come to Villa Park – or even away from home – and not see the team win or not be entertained.”

Lambert insists that he can weather the storm of abuse from the fans as he is determined to instead shield his players. Asked as to how he felt about calls for him to be sacked, he replied: “It’s not great. I’m human, like everybody else, but I’m also big enough and strong enough mentally to handle it. But what I don’t want it to do is affect the players.“The fans have been great with me up until late and I guess now they are waiting for something to go wrong. All I would say to them is stay behind the side. We need their support when times are tough.”

Lambert has also made it clear he will not quit, saying: “I want to make a success of this. I’m obviously not happy with the way things are going, with what’s happening in the last third of the pitch. But anybody that knows me knows I’m not one for downing tools and walking away. I’ve never done that in my football career, and I don’t intend to do it now.”

From the Gruadani, here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/15/aston-villa-paul-lambert-fans-protest#comment-46202071

Sorry, but that is a very impressive, nuanced interview that says exactly what needs to be said without wasting words. I really like this bloke. I pray we start scoring goals soon, because we can to a LOT worse than have him in charge.

I don't think we could do much worse than Lambert, let alone a lot worse.

I thought the interview was that of a desperate man who for the first time is under pressure from the fans and national media.

The chairman has our best interests at heart? Haven't seen much evidence of that. And if the fans support did have an impact on the team we wouldn't have picked up the amount of points we have in the last 17 games.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

"We can do a lot worse than have PL in charge" Oh dear me,11 League goals all Season,embarrassing record after embarrassing record being broke by the idiot in charge,and some are gushing over an article.My oh my,some people are VERY easily pleased...

Have we only scored 11 goals? Have we broken multiple bad records? You know what. That's the first time I've heard that! Outrageous!  ;)

Fact for the day: Bournemouth have scored as many goals in Birmingham this season as Aston Villa, thanks to having humped the scum.

• Like 1

Three unofficial fans’ websites – The Villa Blog, My Old Man Said and A Villa Fan – have called on their fellow supporters to boycott the opening eight minutes of the Premier League game via an open letter. They claim that each minute represents a year for the eight that the club’s owner, Randy Lerner, has been in charge and they are fed up at the way the club is being run.

To rub salt into the wounds of the Villa fans, they have so far seen their side score only 11 league goals this season in 21 games, easily the worst record in the top flight. Following Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Leicester the patience of the fans snapped and they turned on Lambert, calling for him to be sacked.

One local newspaper has this week conducted a poll asking whether the Scot should be dismissed or given more time, with 67% demanding that he go.

“I understand the frustration and nobody is more frustrated than myself,” said Lambert. “Everybody involved with Aston Villa is frustrated at what has happened over the last five or six years since Martin O’Neill left and the team was in the top six.

“Martin had this club buzzing at that time, vying for Europe, going great, and what’s happened has happened. But I don’t think you can look at the chairman and say it’s one guy’s fault. It’s unfair. He has the club’s interest at heart. I understand the fans’ frustrations but we’ll have a better chance of winning a game of football if they don’t protest, if they stick with the lads, no matter how hard it gets at times.

“When the stadium is behind the players it’s a great place to play football and we’ve a better chance of winning if they don’t do it. Whoever has planned it, I hope the guy next to them tries to keep them on their seat. I don’t want Aston Villa fans to come to Villa Park – or even away from home – and not see the team win or not be entertained.”

Lambert insists that he can weather the storm of abuse from the fans as he is determined to instead shield his players. Asked as to how he felt about calls for him to be sacked, he replied: “It’s not great. I’m human, like everybody else, but I’m also big enough and strong enough mentally to handle it. But what I don’t want it to do is affect the players.

“The fans have been great with me up until late and I guess now they are waiting for something to go wrong. All I would say to them is stay behind the side. We need their support when times are tough.”

I like him too but he is still a piss poor manager who is leading this club, along with Lerner, into oblivion

The chairman has our best interests at heart? Haven't seen much evidence of that.

It's a meaningless statement intended to take pressure off his employer, but it is a fact. How could it not be a fact? You think he wants us relegated? Very strange.

No I think he wants his investment to survive in the premier league without him spending much money. I think he's got his interests at heart, not us.

• Like 3

I like him too but he is still a piss poor manager who is leading this club, along with Lerner, into oblivion

I don't think any of us has any evidence that he's a piss poor manager.

What we do have is evidence that his football team isn't playing very well. There's a big difference.

If you like him, as you say, try a bit harder and I think you'll be able to find a few reasons why he hasn't had a fair crack of it so far.

• Like 1

if you like him, as you say, try a bit harder and I think you'll be able to find a few reasons why he hasn't had a fair crack of it so far.

Yet you've just told us the owner has our best interests at heart.

True, if you ignore results, performances, points, league finishes and pretty much every meaningful statistic, then yes there's not much evidence.

• Like 2

"We need their support when times are tough.”

Exactly.

They've had it, for 2 and a half years.

I'd reply with...

"We need to see improvements to enjoy watching Villa again, actually, just a few goals would be nice"

• Like 1

True, if you ignore results, performances, points, league finishes and pretty much every meaningful statistic, then yes there's not much evidence.

Yes, of course, all of those things are determined only by who the manager is. It's so simple. If only I'd realised.

Â