Paul Lambert

limpid

There is more than one way to show we aren't happy with the way the club is going. Any negative form of protest to me is senseless as we need points. We need to support the team. Singing We want Lambert out or youndont know what you're doing will,only have a negative effect. I understand the need to vent our frustrations but I think we need a positive way. A way that supports the team yet gets our point across. The whole ground singing Big Fat Rons Claret and Blue Army or something along those lines would for me have a better effect.

So chanting the name of an ex manager won't affect the team but chanting 'we want Lambert out' or 'you don't know what you're doing' will affect the team!

Mind boggling logic.

• Like 1

Just watched the Madrid derby. So jealous of how Atletico play. That is all. 

p.s Please score a goal soon.  :(

who is their owner?

but i bet we all know who the manager is.

• Like 2

Jealous of how Atletico play? They sit back for 90 minutes kicking the shit out of the opposition and score set pieces. They win games though so its miles better than what we serve up every week.

No they don't. They do against Barcelona and Real Madrid. Wouldn't you?

There is more than one way to show we aren't happy with the way the club is going. Any negative form of protest to me is senseless as we need points. We need to support the team. Singing We want Lambert out or youndont know what you're doing will,only have a negative effect. I understand the need to vent our frustrations but I think we need a positive way. A way that supports the team yet gets our point across. The whole ground singing Big Fat Rons Claret and Blue Army or something along those lines would for me have a better effect.

And the majority of the players will have no idea who you are singing about!

They already look confused on the pitch, no need to make it worse! :P

The thing with how we're playing is that if we did manage to score a goal we might do alright. The trouble is that we haven't. If the team wasn't so low on confidence and off form then we may have put a chance or two away. It would be interesting to see the system if we took a 30th minute lead, which we could easily have done if Benteke was a little more in form. As the other team started to press our possession football higher up the pitch, we could hypothetically break with our speed. I think that's what Lambert is trying to do, rather than a gameplan entirely based upon passing sideways. I think we've been unlucky. 

That was horribly written. What I mean is that we've only seen the bad part of the system. The teething. If we had taken an early lead against Blackpool and then invited them on to us, but with us frustrating them by holding onto the ball, we could have seen the system bear fruit. Us playing around with the ball at 0-0 is very annoying for fans, but if we were doing the same at 1-0 it would be annoying for the opposition. It's just we haven't scored that goal. And that's down to bad decision making in front of goal and an absence of luck. The question marks are over whether or not we would be able to hold onto the ball as the opposition start to press us more for it. We need a goal desperately.

• Like 1

Jealous of how Atletico play? They sit back for 90 minutes kicking the shit out of the opposition and score set pieces. They win games though so its miles better than what we serve up every week.

No they don't. They do against Barcelona and Real Madrid. Wouldn't you?

They don't all the time. They won the ball off Real really high up the pitch loads tonight.

A joy to watch, and a team for fans to be proud of.

• Like 1

Back to Paul Lambert

There has been a couple of articles in tonights Birmingham Mail for the sports writers Gregg Evans ( pro Lambert) & Mat Kendrick ( Anti- Lambert) in my view Mat Kendrick forms the more formidable argument.

It can be said of some managers in all walks of life...." They can talk the talk" but can't " walk the walk".

for me Paul can't even " talk the talk"....He doesn't form any cohesive or articulate argument either before or after a match...his comments are nebulous and his decisions are indecisive. the crowd say " you don't know what you're doing....I can't say that because i am not privvy to his workings at close quarters, but his persona leaves me to think they could be right.

I have rarely heard him speak of a game where i have agreed with his assessment, but then I thought that of O'Neill.....and one of my heroes said nothing.

I once had the priviledge to spend an hour with Tony Barton in a Hotel on the Hagley Rd.....the mans in depth knowledge of the game left me simply aghast....plausible, intellectual, knowlegable ,perceptive,articulate, he was impressive....no wonder Ron had him on his team....everything he said made sense and was feasible, I chuckled at some of his references to the idiosynchrasies of his players.....said respectfully about them of course.

He was in the zone.....I don't pick that up at all with Paul.

• Like 1

The thing with how we're playing is that if we did manage to score a goal we might do alright. The trouble is that we haven't. If the team wasn't so low on confidence and off form then we may have put a chance or two away. It would be interesting to see the system if we took a 30th minute lead, which we could easily have done if Benteke was a little more in form. As the other team started to press our possession football higher up the pitch, we could hypothetically break with our speed. I think that's what Lambert is trying to do, rather than a gameplan entirely based upon passing sideways. I think we've been unlucky. 

That was horribly written. What I mean is that we've only seen the bad part of the system. The teething. If we had taken an early lead against Blackpool and then invited them on to us, but with us frustrating them by holding onto the ball, we could have seen the system bear fruit. Us playing around with the ball at 0-0 is very annoying for fans, but if we were doing the same at 1-0 it would be annoying for the opposition. It's just we haven't scored that goal. And that's down to bad decision making in front of goal and an absence of luck. The question marks are over whether or not we would be able to hold onto the ball as the opposition start to press us more for it. We need a goal desperately.

Barcelona play the good system, unfortunately for us we play the shit system. If we went 1-0 up, the opposing team will just start to press fprward and probably and force a goal.

Barcelona play the good system, unfortunately for us we play the shit system. If we went 1-0 up, the opposing team will just start to press fprward and probably and force a goal.

Not if we still have the football. If they press forward and we have the ball, we can break and get a second. That's the point. The question marks are over whether or not if we got a goal, we'd still be able to hold onto the ball. Because we haven't gotten that goal we don't know.

Edited by yillan

We need a goal desperately.

we all always do.....in every game

We are all making too many complicated assessments of our team

during the periods when we were doing well....Ron Saunders, Brian Little, John Gregory era's in relative terms

The depth of analysis simply wasn't there from forums like this in the same manner that it is today.

my view is we just simply concoct too many excuses and mitigating circumstances that are derived from static opinion.

There are simply too many things wrong, thats why we are in this mess....its not just team selection or tactics its much fundamental and deeper than that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Not if we still have the football. If they press forward and we have the ball, we can break and get a second. That's the point. The question marks are over whether or not if we got a goal, we'd still be able to hold onto the ball. Because we haven't gotten that goal we don't know.

Nice theory but the reality is we've scored more than 1 goal in a match on 2 occasions out of the 23 games we have played this season.

We make the game of football seem so difficult!

• Like 1

I feel we only keep the ball because the opposing team sit back. Most of the time when we go forward with the ball we either lose it or go for the hollywood strike. If Liverplop on Saturday have learnt anything about us, they will not use there usual attacking system and just sit back and grab a goal on the counter. If they come at us, we may have a slight chance, although I think Lambert will set us up ultra defensive.

Back to Paul Lambert

There has been a couple of articles in tonights Birmingham Mail for the sports writers Gregg Evans ( pro Lambert) & Mat Kendrick ( Anti- Lambert) in my view Mat Kendrick forms the more formidable argument.

It can be said of some managers in all walks of life...." They can talk the talk" but can't " walk the walk".

for me Paul can't even " talk the talk"....He doesn't form any cohesive or articulate argument either before or after a match...his comments are nebulous and his decisions are indecisive. the crowd say " you don't know what you're doing....I can't say that because i am not privvy to his workings at close quarters, but his persona leaves me to think they could be right.

I have rarely heard him speak of a game where i have agreed with his assessment, but then I thought that of O'Neill.....and one of my heroes said nothing.

I once had the priviledge to spend an hour with Tony Barton in a Hotel on the Hagley Rd.....the mans in depth knowledge of the game left me simply aghast....plausible, intellectual, knowlegable ,perceptive,articulate, he was impressive....no wonder Ron had him on his team....everything he said made sense and was feasible, I chuckled at some of his references to the idiosynchrasies of his players.....said respectfully about them of course.

He was in the zone.....I don't pick that up at all with Paul.

Talking the talk is not a prerequisite for walking the walk. The saying means that there are people who are impressive to listen to but who can't back it up with action. No element of the expression declares that in order to walk the walk you need to talk the talk.

Now that that's out of the way, I think Paul Lambert is a patsy. I think any manager we would have under Lerner would be a patsy.

He's wholly underwhelming in interviews. Seems as if when he's not on camera or wandering around the training ground pointing or whatever, he is left on a chair in Lerner's vacant office like a deflated sex doll, his mouth and eyes wide open waiting for the next game, or his next opportunity to say what he has been taught to say by the extensive Sports PR training courses Lerner has sent him on. 

I don't like him. I don't like anything about him. Other than the fact that he's on my team and wants Villa to win. Because I want Villa to win. And so because I don't think there is another option, whether through unwillingness of other managers or Lerner not having any desire to train up another monkey, I am going to hope that he doesn't spend his evenings in a catatonic stupor but pours over how to improve a system that he has used all his experience as a football man to come up with. Regardless of his failings as a man I'd like to sit across from in a cafe without a wealth of reading material between us, I remain hopeful under Lambert and the FFP, that we could turn into a decent football team, rather than just another failed mutation.

• Like 1

Nice theory but the reality is we've scored more than 1 goal in a match on 2 occasions out of the 23 games we have played this season.

We make the game of football seem so difficult!

But the majority of those were under the old hoofball system. Under the new system, there could be untold wealth of goals if we just managed to get one....

But the majority of those were under the old hoofball system. Under the new system, there could be untold wealth of goals if we just managed to get one....

IF!

The problem is I get the impression Lambert wants the team to defend as soon as we go in front rather than going for say a 2nd or a 3rd goal.

I don't see that changing whether we hoof it or pass it sideways.

We need a goal desperately.

There are simply too many things wrong, thats why we are in this mess....its not just team selection or tactics its much fundamental and deeper than that.

Well you could argue that the problems that are more fundamental and deeper are the problems with the game. The exclusive club of which we are not a member. If it was a level playing field whereby, at the start of the season, any club could be considered in with a chance of winning the league, then the blame for our floundering where we are unable to score could be placed entirely at the door of Lambert. 

But maybe under the constraints.... maybe Lambert has a master plan. Assemble a team of players that can pass the ball around a bit. Start playing the passing game. Possession football. Sure there'll be some teething problems early on but provided the fans don't immediately turn on the team (or the manager), and we get a bit of luck and the players show a bit of spark here and there, we can maybe get some good results together. Maybe once the system is up and running, we bring in a little creative midfielder to unlock defences. Not much point in having one of them if we're bypassing the midfield entirely. And let's hope we get a goal. And then once we get the system established, we can add more and more quality. Especially once we get rid of deadwood like Darren Bent and Shay Given.

Â