Paul Lambert

limpid

Your point in quoting those stats was to portray McLeish as at least Lambert's equal in terms of managerial performance. My question then if you're proposing that we would be better off with McLeish is which manager would you prefer to have with us going into the last 17 games of the season. One with a win % of 26% or one of 18%.

The stats are clear in that they are numbers. If I had two oranges and you gave me two oranges, I would have four oranges. That's pretty clear. What isn't clear is what I'm going to do with the oranges. How many oranges I had earlier on. Where you got the oranges. Why you're giving them to me. If I have to give them back. Things like that. Don't be made complacent by the simplicity of two plus two.

My point was to show that McLeish was sacked for being awful and Lambert, this season, has worse stats overall than Mcleish had at the same stage of the season. Lambert also had the luxury of spending a net approx. £50m as well.

I would prefer neither manager in the last 17 games of the season - they are both awful! Points are probably a better indicator than win % regardless.

After 21 games with Alex McLeish:

7 defeats, 23 goals scored, -4 goal difference, 24 points, 12th place in the league.

Fast forward 3 years:

After 21 games with Paul Lambert this season:

9 defeats, 11 goals scored, -12 goal difference, 22 points, 13th place in the league.

Worse than McLeish after a net approx. £50m spent! :rolleyes:

So lvg has the same points as Moyes did at this stage of the season after splashing £150 million, does that mean he is worse than Moyes considering what he's spent?

• Like 1

The link between fans and manager has well and truly broken and I don't want to keep watching Villa in a toxic atmosphere.  If Doug was still in charge Lambert would have had the walk in the garden by now. The plummeting gates would have done it for him alone- now it doesn't really matter. The Bournemouth game could well have less than 10,000 home fans in. Lerner should be getting as equal blame but he can't be changed by fan action so Lambert is getting it both barrels. As soon as we go a goal down tomorrow, the atmosphere is going to be horrible. The man has run out of ideas and has his hands tied behind his back. I can't see a turn around myself sadly.

Totally agree with that post. Personally I won't be protesting and I won't be turning up 8 minutes late and I don't boo and I won't chant anything anti Lambert. I want him gone asap but I don't think any of that is productive or helpful to the team. The simple sad truth is the fans are already voting with their feet / wallets. I shudder to think what season ticket sales will be like next season whatever league we are in.

I've got two season tickets for my son and I and we will be there tomorrow but as I said in an earlier post I don't look forward to the games anymore. Dread was the word I think I used and I think it could get very ugly.

Lambert, sadly given it started with so much promise, is a dead man walking.

• Like 4

After 21 games with Alex McLeish:

7 defeats, 23 goals scored, -4 goal difference, 24 points, 12th place in the league.

Fast forward 3 years:

After 21 games with Paul Lambert this season:

9 defeats, 11 goals scored, -12 goal difference, 22 points, 13th place in the league.

Worse than McLeish after a net approx. £50m spent! :rolleyes:

So lvg has the same points as Moyes did at this stage of the season after splashing £150 million, does that mean he is worse than Moyes considering what he's spent?

No, I wouldn't say so.

He has proven it at the top level.

His team are 4th (Moyes was 7th).

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Lambert just has to go, there can't be any reason not to sack him.

There's plenty of reasons.

Like he is a nice fellow an treats players with respect like saying Grant Holt is a proper man

With the subtle difference that Holt is a player and Lambert is a manager.

As sad as it is.....This manager's reign is not going to end up with a happy ending, the signs are clear to me and some eminent people in the game that there is no leadership at The Training ground or on the pitch on match day, particularly if Ron Vlaar is not playing.

Paul's time is up in my opinion.....it just simply hasn't worked.....and that is sad.

Neither you or your eminent friends have any idea what's going on at the training ground. From the communications of support from the players, most recently Guzan, the only "signs" are that they are a cohesive unit, working hard to sort out current problems.

Under current ownership, when 10th place is the zenith of possible achievement, no manager will be able to deliver your "happy ending"

Rubbish. 

Thanks for the well argued response.  In my opinion 10th place is the best that could be achieved with the current financial model - what finish do you think is possible ?

• Like 1

Under current ownership, when 10th place is the zenith of possible achievement, no manager will be able to deliver your "happy ending"

Firstly 10th isn't the zenith of possible achievement.

Secondly, I find it hard to believe most managers would do worse than Lambert. It doesn't need to be a "happy ending" but it does need to be a hell of a lot better than the current tripe served up.

How confident are we for Lambert to break another club record tomorrow?

Firstly, under the current financial situation what do you consider possible?

Secondly, no-one is sayinh that most managers would do worse than Lambert? however, in my personal view there are few realistic possibilities that could do much better given the financial situation, which is a totally different point

I do think that most managers would do a worse job than Lambert, otherwise I'd want him gone without delay.

Even people who wish he'd never been hired must admit that we're in an even worse position for attracting a good replacement than we were before he arrived. Whether you blame Lambert for this isn't so much the point. The point is: would we be better off without him? I think we can afford to wait until at least February before taking the plunge and deciding we would.

Not that the decision is ours anyway.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 1

I do think that most managers would do a worse job than Lambert, otherwise I'd want him gone without delay.

I believe Lambert has assembled a decent squad of players. Given that then I also believe you would have to be going some to find a manager that would do worse than having taken 12 points from the last 51 available, have had two win less streaks of 9 games and 6 games respectively with in that streak and to overseen a team that had scored 12 goals in 23 league and cup games with two of those games being agaisnt lower league opposition at home.

Anyway I am now off to Villa Park to hopefully see us finally score a goal and get a positive result.

• Like 1

Â