Paul Lambert

limpid

Agree with that completely, Remember, even though it was turgid football for the most part he still managed to keep us in the league and other teams will look at that. Especially newly promoted ones or teams who sack their manager.

We may know better, but I've said before in here that I think his stock will still be fairly high, especially with chairmen who have seen him keep us in the league whilst slashing the wage bill.

We all know it came at a cost. But other chairmen aren't villa fans.

We may know better, but I've said before in here that I think his stock will still be fairly high, especially with chairmen who have seen him keep us in the league whilst slashing the wage bill.

Other chairmen make bad decisions too so I agree this is a possibility. Though of they do have any sense they will look a little deeper and realise that we were going to be going down this season, unquestionably IMO, likely bottom as well. For about 4 months we were the worst team the league has ever seen. You only need a cursory glance at how we are doing now to know that was laughable.

If I were HIM I would drop down a division too. If his next job is in the top flight and he fails again it is career over time. He needs to be very careful.

• Like 1

Other chairmen make bad decisions too so I agree this is a possibility. Though of they do have any sense they will look a little deeper and realise that we were going to be going down this season, unquestionably IMO, likely bottom as well. For about 4 months we were the worst team the league has ever seen. You only need a cursory glance at how we are doing now to know that was laughable.

If I were HIM I would drop down a division too. If his next job is in the top flight and he fails again it is career over time. He needs to be very careful.

I see this a lot, and it's bollocks really, isn't it?

Derby are the worst team in the PL history with 11 points over 38 games, it took us 12 games to get to that ;)

After that.

2nd worst then. Maybe 3rd counting that Sunderland team. The difference being we are an established premier league team, supposedly, with a manager in his 3rd season having spent £40m (yes, I know that argument well) give or take and having a world class striker to fall upon whom he could not motivate. Players like Delph, Grealish, Clark in his best form, Cleverly, Gabby, Guzan. Gil. Players who are now in the main proving themselves to be very good quality players indeed. He got **** all from them, it was dreadful.

12 goals in 25 games. Certainly the worst team to watch, IMO.

• Like 1

Like I said, we all know that.

Opposition chairmen may not see it that way.

They'll see it as successfully fending off relegation for 3 seasons whilst working on a tight budget and cutting the wage bill.

Plus he's previously performed admirably with a newly promoted side.

Dig a little deeper and of course you find that his performances got consistently worse, and we were dreadful to watch. But will they dig deeper? Dunno, maybe. With the speed that managers are appointed these days I'm not so sure.

Will they care about how good we are to watch?

I just think we're blinded by the end of his tenure. There are plenty of managers who have performed poorly at a premier league team and then got a job at another premier league team *cough* McLeish *cough*

I don't think other people see him in nearly as bad a light as we villa fans do.

There's also the fact that people may (rightly or wrongly) think that his decline here was due to the tight budget. With increased budgets coming up maybe they'll think he'll do better with more money.

I don't think it's as clear cut as "well he was crap at Villa, he's never going to work in the league again and his career is over", which seems to be the opinion of a lot of Villa fans.

Edited by Stevo985

He's got a pretty solid record at both promoting teams and keeping them up on paper, and he's a Champions League winner. That'll definitely entice, at the very least, a relegated team or a Championship side looking at promotion next season. I can't imagine he'll not be in a job come August unless he's decided he wants to take a break for his own reasons

I feel sorry for the fans that get him next. Unless he can figure out what used to work for him, because he was useless for 90% of this time here and just got worse and worse as time went on.

That's not the sign of a manager who can be top class again.

• Like 1

He'd just taken too many beatings by the end. I think he did a good job achieving what he was asked to achieve, and he at least left us with something to work with, which couldn't really be said about what he took over. I hope he gets the Celtic job before long, if not there will be the likes of Forest that are always there or there abouts in the Championship that will like the look of his record.

• Like 1

The Celtic won't be available any time soon, unless Ronny Deila is poached by a bigger club.

I fancy Lambert to find a decent-ish club in the not too distant future though. And our recent upturn in form shouldn't reflect too poorly on him. That would be rather simplistic, in my opinion.

Like I said, we all know that.

Opposition chairmen may not see it that way.

They'll see it as successfully fending off relegation for 3 seasons whilst working on a tight budget and cutting the wage bill.

Plus he's previously performed admirably with a newly promoted side.

Dig a little deeper and of course you find that his performances got consistently worse, and we were dreadful to watch. But will they dig deeper? Dunno, maybe. With the speed that managers are appointed these days I'm not so sure.

Will they care about how good we are to watch?

I just think we're blinded by the end of his tenure. There are plenty of managers who have performed poorly at a premier league team and then got a job at another premier league team *cough* McLeish *cough*

I don't think other people see him in nearly as bad a light as we villa fans do.

There's also the fact that people may (rightly or wrongly) think that his decline here was due to the tight budget. With increased budgets coming up maybe they'll think he'll do better with more money.

I don't think it's as clear cut as "well he was crap at Villa, he's never going to work in the league again and his career is over", which seems to be the opinion of a lot of Villa fans.

He didn't fend off relegation for 3 seasons. Though I suspect that inadvertently proves your point - if we're basically glossing it as three seasons without relegation, and we witnessed it, then maybe chairmen will do likewise. 

In fact, we did him a massive favour by sacking him. His record looks far better with a sacking on it than it would if he'd relegated a Premier League ever-present. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â