Paul Lambert

limpid

Interesting article from 2012...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2248366/Paul-Lambert-thinks-Aston-Villa-Europe-years.html

Lambert believes Villa can be challenging for Europe if they follow his three year plan

Not going well is it Paul? 

"....You have to progress, you can’t stand still. You have to keep going."

If only Lerner had the same values.

• Like 1

I'm not one to take much stock in what he says to the media because I know that it's probably a lot different to what is said behind closed doors but his whole "You have to" schtick really gets on my nerves.

Its starting to worry me what he is saying behind closed doors. I mean he certainly isn't saying he wants a performance from Gabby is he.

NEWS ALERT!!!!!

According to reports on the web Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert was found by his wife in bed in a compromising position with four Aston Villa players last night!!  The players have been named as Tom Cleverley, Gabby Agbonlahore, Fabian Delph and Keiran Richardson!!  It was also reported by an eye witness that Fabian Delph was very upset as he is on the verge of going to Liverpool FC and that Brendan Rodgers no longer has a nose for him now its been up Mr Lamberts bum!!!!!

Ive got a friend who works for Blues and he speaks so highly of Gary Rowett. The team does shooting practice at the end of training with losers donating to charity, he watches youth games and brings them into the first team training sessions. Gives them loads of days off for performing. Hes created a massive reward culture and togetherness not tolerating poor performance or bad effort. Now its a much more high pressure environment here but you just do not hear stories about Lambert acting in that way and it shows on the pitch. 

Now in the "OUT" camp, get fresh blood in, Lamberts signings have been good on the whole when hes had money to spend, but its the scouting department that finds these players, not worth keeping for the potential damage to our Premier League status.   

• Like 1

I really have admiration for Lambert's ability to have confidence that he's doing the right thing and to stick with it despite early setbacks. This is one of the things that makes a great manager.

Of course it's even more important that what the manager thinks is the right thing IS the right thing, and that's where he's maybe failing :)

But our main problem is psychological at the moment. It might not be our only problem, but I don't think anyone can say we're not worth a lot more goals than we're getting.

I've little doubt that a new manager would get us scoring goals in the short term, because of the psychology of it, but form is temporary and class is permanent.

The best scenario for me is that Lambert makes a very shrewd selection for his assistant: At the very least someone with experience, whose coaching and reading of team selection, tactics and formations offers Lambert an alternative to his own thinking. That way we get the best of all worlds.

Next assistant?! What like the 2 previous assistants? I think your pissing in the wind. I think also your comment about Lambert sticking with what he's doing despite early setbacks is a little stupid to be honest. Not sure if you have realised but this isn't early in his managerial position at the villa, were over 2 years down the line with no improvement. Your admiration for Lambert is baffling, for a start, a great manager he is not!

Just about every one of the shortcomings Lambert has or is accused of having would disappear if he had the right kind of assistant.

Maybe a better manager wouldn't need this, but seeing as Lerner doesn't want to sack him it might be the best and most realistic way to get Aston Villa winning games again, which SHOULD be what we want above all.

If you think I've called him a great manager you either haven't read properly or haven't been able to follow the logic of what I did say.

Realistic to find an assistant manager happy to come and do Lambert's job for him? If we need someone to come in and pick the team, tactics and coach the player surely that should be a a manager.

Ive got a friend who works for Blues and he speaks so highly of Gary Rowett. The team does shooting practice at the end of training with losers donating to charity, he watches youth games and brings them into the first team training sessions. Gives them loads of days off for performing. Hes created a massive reward culture and togetherness not tolerating poor performance or bad effort. Now its a much more high pressure environment here but you just do not hear stories about Lambert acting in that way and it shows on the pitch.

Now in the "OUT" camp, get fresh blood in, Lamberts signings have been good on the whole when hes had money to spend, but its the scouting department that finds these players, not worth keeping for the potential damage to our Premier League status.

I've been saying it for weeks. Actually jealous that a joke of an outfit like blues demanded better while we accept it.

• Like 1

I really have admiration for Lambert's ability to have confidence that he's doing the right thing and to stick with it despite early setbacks. This is one of the things that makes a great manager.

Of course it's even more important that what the manager thinks is the right thing IS the right thing, and that's where he's maybe failing :)

But our main problem is psychological at the moment. It might not be our only problem, but I don't think anyone can say we're not worth a lot more goals than we're getting.

I've little doubt that a new manager would get us scoring goals in the short term, because of the psychology of it, but form is temporary and class is permanent.

The best scenario for me is that Lambert makes a very shrewd selection for his assistant: At the very least someone with experience, whose coaching and reading of team selection, tactics and formations offers Lambert an alternative to his own thinking. That way we get the best of all worlds.

Next assistant?! What like the 2 previous assistants? I think your pissing in the wind. I think also your comment about Lambert sticking with what he's doing despite early setbacks is a little stupid to be honest. Not sure if you have realised but this isn't early in his managerial position at the villa, were over 2 years down the line with no improvement. Your admiration for Lambert is baffling, for a start, a great manager he is not!

Just about every one of the shortcomings Lambert has or is accused of having would disappear if he had the right kind of assistant.

Maybe a better manager wouldn't need this, but seeing as Lerner doesn't want to sack him it might be the best and most realistic way to get Aston Villa winning games again, which SHOULD be what we want above all.

If you think I've called him a great manager you either haven't read properly or haven't been able to follow the logic of what I did say.

I followed what you said perfectly. I think you were indicating lambert had the qualities of a great manager. My response, was my response. I don't think much of your defence of lambert is that logical anyway. As I said in my previous comments, what about the 2 previous assistants? I don't have any faith that lambert can bring in the right assistance based on  previous experience. As you also alluded to with the 'sticking' comment, which in my opinion is just him being stubborn. What actually leads you to believe he is capable of bringing in an assistant and completely change his tactical way of thinking? On one hand you admire him for sticking yet claim all his shortcomings would disappear if he listened to a new assistant and changed his ways. You contradict your own logic mate.

• Like 2

BBC poll: 

Which Premier League manager do you think is under the most pressure?
This vote is now closed. Here are the results:

Steve Bruce
7.0%

Paul Lambert
40.4%

Roberto Martinez
15.4%

Nigel Pearson
6.7%

Gus Poyet
2.6%

Harry Redknapp
23.1%

Other
4.7%
Edited by bose

Sounds great but we have literally no idea how training is conducted at Bodymoor Heath and what Lambert does for morale and team togetherness. It's all assumptions. Also that sort of stuff is lauded when results are going your way and slated when they're not. See it all the time.

• Like 2

I followed what you said perfectly. I think you were indicating lambert had the qualities of a great manager. My response, was my response. I don't think much of your defence of lambert is that logical anyway. As I said in my previous comments, what about the 2 previous assistants? I don't have any faith that lambert can bring in the right assistance based on  previous experience. As you also alluded to with the 'sticking' comment, which in my opinion is just him being stubborn. What actually leads you to believe he is capable of bringing in an assistant and completely change his tactical way of thinking? On one hand you admire him for sticking yet claim all his shortcomings would disappear if he listened to a new assistant and changed his ways. You contradict your own logic mate.

What have the two previous assistants got to do with anything?

He doesn't have an assistant at the moment, and is being criticised for his tactics, etc. A big part of an assistant manager's job is as a sounding board and provider of ideas. If Lambert is indeed taking bad decisions then the right assistant would solve the problem overnight, by definition. He doesn't even need to be the one who chooses the assistant, all he has to do is be able to work with him. What I said about him having confidence in his decisions doesn't necessarily have much bearing on this unless you're determined to believe the worst about the guy.

Jesus, can I not use the words "great" and "manager" in the same sentence without someone going "Ooh, look, he's called Lambert a great manager"? I said that Lambert has one of the attributes of a great manager: Keeping his head when all about him are losing theirs. I'm well aware that this can be a good thing and a bad thing, as the next part of my post suggested.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 2

NEWS ALERT!!!!!

According to reports on the web Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert was found by his wife in bed in a compromising position with four Aston Villa players last night!!  The players have been named as Tom Cleverley, Gabby Agbonlahore, Fabian Delph and Keiran Richardson!!  It was also reported by an eye witness that Fabian Delph was very upset as he is on the verge of going to Liverpool FC and that Brendan Rodgers no longer has a nose for him now its been up Mr Lamberts bum!!!!!

:rolleyes:

I'm surprised that he got so many votes. He's definitely under pressure right now but if you look at him and Redknapp who is the more likely to be sacked? Redknapp without a doubt.

Well no, but only because QPR's chairmen is still invested and gives a crap

I said that Lambert has one of the attributes of a great manager: Keeping his head when all about him are losing theirs. I'm well aware that this can be a good thing and a bad thing, as the next part of my post suggested.

An exceedingly good point.

Â