Paul Lambert

limpid

I really have admiration for Lambert's ability to have confidence that he's doing the right thing and to stick with it despite early setbacks. This is one of the things that makes a great manager.

Of course it's even more important that what the manager thinks is the right thing IS the right thing, and that's where he's maybe failing :)

But our main problem is psychological at the moment. It might not be our only problem, but I don't think anyone can say we're not worth a lot more goals than we're getting.

I've little doubt that a new manager would get us scoring goals in the short term, because of the psychology of it, but form is temporary and class is permanent.

The best scenario for me is that Lambert makes a very shrewd selection for his assistant: At the very least someone with experience, whose coaching and reading of team selection, tactics and formations offers Lambert an alternative to his own thinking. That way we get the best of all worlds.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 2

If you attended the game and chose not to protest, yet are still screaming for Lambert to go, you don't really have grounds to complain.

You turned up and did what was asked, you stood by the players and manager and supported them again...look where it got us. Another defeat, another goalless game, another performance riddled with errors and another terrible performance (in the main part).

There were a few positives that will paper over the cracks in the eyes of the club...they don't need to take any action, why should they, the majority of people still turned up to support, so they can't be that bothered.

When/if we do finally get a win, it will set the 'Lambert Pressure Guage' back to zero, which will just be putting off the inevitable as we will probably have another awful run a few games later.

The club is dying, Lambert will take us down.

LambertOut! But it won't happen, not now, not before the end of the season, probably not even then...regardless of the league we end up in.

• Like 1

I really have admiration for Lambert's ability to have confidence that he's doing the right thing and to stick with it despite early setbacks. This is one of the things that makes a great manager.

Of course it's even more important that what the manager thinks is the right thing IS the right thing, and that's where he's maybe failing :)

But our main problem is psychological at the moment. It might not be our only problem, but I don't think anyone can say we're not worth a lot more goals than we're getting.

I've little doubt that a new manager would get us scoring goals in the short term, because of the psychology of it, but form is temporary and class is permanent.

The best scenario for me is that Lambert makes a very shrewd selection for his assistant: At the very least someone with experience, whose coaching and reading of team selection, tactics and formations offers Lambert an alternative to his own thinking. That way we get the best of all worlds.

Have you spent the weekend with Walter White?

Do you mean signing young and hungry players? Or playing long ball football to benteke? Or is he a great manager because we've tried to pass the ball for 10 games?

I don't get this at all. Are you saying our squad and players are so poor that this is how they'd eventually play under anyone? If it is, I think that's absolute garbage with nothing to back it up.

Haha so basically you want an assistant to come in and do lamberts job for him. Then why keep Lambert?

• Like 3

If you attended the game and chose not to protest, yet are still screaming for Lambert to go, you don't really have grounds to complain.

You turned up and did what was asked, you stood by the players and manager and supported them again...look where it got us. Another defeat, another goalless game, another performance riddled with errors and another terrible performance (in the main part).

There were a few positives that will paper over the cracks in the eyes of the club...they don't need to take any action, why should they, the majority of people still turned up to support, so they can't be that bothered.

When/if we do finally get a win, it will set the 'Lambert Pressure Guage' back to zero, which will just be putting off the inevitable as we will probably have another awful run a few games later.

The club is dying, Lambert will take us down.

LambertOut! But it won't happen, not now, not before the end of the season, probably not even then...regardless of the league we end up in.

The planned protest was against Lerner yesterday, not Lambert, wasn't it? So what are you talking about?

Also, supporting the eleven players on the pitch (hoping to inspire them to win, or even score) is different to supporting the manager.

No doubt you were at the game yesterday? And no doubt you were one of the fans getting on the players' and manager's back, during the game, when we still had a chance to get an equaliser.

• Like 3

Do you mean signing young and hungry players? Or playing long ball football to benteke? Or is he a great manager because we've tried to pass the ball for 10 games?

I don't get this at all. Are you saying our squad and players are so poor that this is how they'd eventually play under anyone? If it is, I think that's absolute garbage with nothing to back it up.

Haha so basically you want an assistant to come in and do lamberts job for him. Then why keep Lambert?

- Because to be a great manager you need to hold your nerve when you think you've made the right decision about something. Whatever you think of his decisions, Lambert has this attribute - often to his cost. Don't be churlish and accuse me of calling him a great manager, because that isn't what I said, is it?

- No, my point was that Lambert has some class, and if we win our first three games under Harry Redknapp that doesn't necessarily make him the better manager.

- Advising the manager on tactics, team selection and coaching is a perfectly ordinary part of an assistant manager's job. It's also something that could potentially transform our performances (and most of Lambert's critics seem to think those are his weaknesses), without Lerner having to cough up 4 million or scrape around for a replacement.

• Like 1

I swear people deliberately look for the negatives.  We really weren't that bad against Liverpool!

First half was certainly a mix of us being poor and Liverpool's movement being very good up top but, after the break, the tables got pretty much turned upside down.  It doesn't mean that Lambert should be afforded any more time - I'm not saying that - but not every single defeat is a case of "we were terrible".  Against Leicester, sure.  Against Liverpool?  I thought that second half, and especially the introduction of Gil, were very promising.

Before the break: Liverpool scored one.

After the break: Liverpool scored one.

Which tables are you referring to?

As for me - I am done with "promising". Especially when "promising" dismisses the fact that we went 60 minutes with 8 defensive players on the pitch. At home. Against a poor defensive side and an awful keeper.

• Like 1

- No, my point was that Lambert has some class, and if we win our first three games under Harry Redknapp that doesn't necessarily make him the better manager.

You seem to say this with a level of certainly Crackpot, but we COULD end up getting a new manager that not only gives us a boost in the short term, but ends up doing a good job in the long term too.

Lerner has his faults, but in my opinion 2 of his 3 managerial appointments were decent. Houllier underperformed, but was trying to get us to play the way Southampton and Swansea now do, and without his health problems, he might have pushed on in his second season. Lambert, at the time, seemed like a great choice and the majority favourite amongst the fans. McLeish was the worst choice ever, simply because of where he came from. But I don't think he's done terribly in this aspect of owning the club.

Let's not forget he went for Martinez and McLaren, both with their faults, but also both are decent managers.

What a strange post.  Firstly, what has lambert showed to claim he has some class? And secondly again you seem to be suggesting that eventually the team would go back to playing as bad as they are now.  You said form is temporary when referring to an improvement in our performances and results.  You seem to be worried about a new manager showing lambert how its done.

- Advising the manager on tactics, team selection and coaching is a perfectly ordinary part of an assistant manager's job. It's also something that could potentially transform our performances (and most of Lambert's critics seem to think those are his weaknesses), without Lerner having to cough up 4 million or scrape around for a replacement.

If he needs an assistant to not pick 4 cm players or try and play some width then I don't know why you seem to rate him so highly.

Â