Paul Lambert

limpid

Keeping his head? Its really helping isn't it.

Feels more like denial and delusion

Exactly.....

After all we dominated the game yesterday according to Lambert. I was there and we categorically did not dominate

• Like 1

Keeping his head? Its really helping isn't it.

Feels more like denial and delusion

Exactly.....

After all we dominated the game yesterday according to Lambert. I was there and we categorically did not dominate

indeed

we dominated for 15-20mins, that seems to be the ceiling with us.

Edited by VillanousOne

All this tension around the club isn't helping. Lambert isn't going to be sacked I think we call all agree so is it not more beneficial for us to try and get behind the team as best we can?

Everyone is low at the moment but as some have eluded to previously, if we go down we could well be another in the long list of big clubs that fail to return, and right now we all need to pull together and fight for our Premier League lives as it were. We need to get through to the end of the season and hope that Lerner actually wakes up and does one of three things. Either sell up, Back Lambert properly or replace him with another manager and properly back them. Even he cannot think that this is sustainable in the long term and I hope he has a plan.

Until then we need to get behind the team.

:flag:

• Like 3

To be fair apart from a few games over his time here the fans have been supportive of the team. One way to guarantee full support till the end of the season is to sack Lambert. It looks unlikely but we still haven't appointed an assistant manager and we haven't been on a run like this before for so long.

If he doesn't sack him soon he has to in the summer. Forget backing him, for one he's shown buying better players has no effect on results and performances and secondly, the first bad spell would result in the fans being divided again.

Lerner has to sack him in the summer if he fails to do so before.

It feels strange, we used to score goals but couldn't defend for toffee and provided no protection in midfield.

No we have a solid defence (when fit or not suspended) and a strong midfield backbone. 

But now we can't score.

The signing of Gil seems inspired if long overdue

The limited involvement of Bacuna, Grealish and Robinson is criminal.

The failure of Zog, Benteke, Weimann and Gabby is killing us, whether that is coaching, form, training who knows.

Kozak isn't returning anytime soon, so we either need a new manager who can get some form out our attackers or we need a new striker and winger!

All this tension around the club isn't helping. Lambert isn't going to be sacked I think we call all agree so is it not more beneficial for us to try and get behind the team as best we can?

We need to get through to the end of the season and hope that Lerner actually wakes up and does one of three things. Either sell up, Back Lambert properly or replace him with another manager and properly back them. Even he cannot think that this is sustainable in the long term and I hope he has a plan.

Whilst I agree Lambert hasn't received great backing from Lerner the backing he has received he has done pretty well with and built a decent squad of players. The reason we are struggling this season isn't down to funding or a poor squad of players it is down to a manger who cannot get anything approaching the best out of the players he has. With that in mind I don't think giving Lambert better funds improves things dramatically for us. The problem isn't finding and acquiring decent players the problem is getting the best out of them players individually and as part of a team.

As for your first point around supporters getting behind the team as best they can I think they have done and will continue to do so. In the most recent away game both in terms of numbers and vocally the support was tremendous and the anti Lambert chants came very late in the game when in all fairness the way we performed we could have been 4 down. Yesterday again the support was excellent. I think some, perhaps especially those unable to attend very often, think the negative feeling on here and other online forums transmits/reflects the support at the games. Trust me, as someone who doesn't miss a home game and goes to a fair few away, it doesn't. Internet messages boards are a great place to let off steam but almost everyone who has been bothered to take the time and money to go to a game is desperate for their team to win and is their to get behind them.

I wasn't questioning the fans at all but instead trying to highlight the reality of the situation which is that Lambert isn't getting sacked. So the question is what do we do in that situation?  It was not a "Support Lambert" regardless point, It is a support Villa point. When you know that the manager isn't going and that your opinions of him are falling on deaf ears what do you do?

But that's happening. The atmosphere yesterday was very good and the fans got right behind the team.

Again, not disputing that but are you telling me that there isn't even a wiff of negativity? He isn't getting sacked, he just isn't, so booing or jeering are not going to change anything except create a negative atmosphere that is detrimental to the club in the long run. The fans pay good money and have every right to express their views but we've done that and who has actually listened over these past few seasons?

This thread is a microcosm of what Villa are about at the moment but we can have a massive impact on turning things around. When Lerner isn't going to do it and Lambert seems incapable of doing it the one remaining factor that can do it is us and the players so why not forgo any negativity, baring in mind its not helping and is not even being listened to, and try to make as positive an impact as possible?

Neither Lerner nor Lambert are going anywhere soon, and I suspect Lerner is not bothered enough to be moved by any protests.

Falling attendances may have some impact on Lerner, but apart from that I am not sure what else can be done.

It really is a dire situation, and we can only hope that we can avoid relegation year on year until a change of ownership.

• Like 1

I wasn't questioning the fans at all but instead trying to highlight the reality of the situation which is that Lambert isn't getting sacked. So the question is what do we do in that situation?  It was not a "Support Lambert" regardless point, It is a support Villa point. When you know that the manager isn't going and that your opinions of him are falling on deaf ears what do you do?

I can only speak for myself I guess. I will therefore continue to go to the games and continue to give my backing to the team. If we continue to struggle I will also state to anyone interested and on here that I believe the manager should be sacked. What do you think I should be doing?

I also don't believe it is a given that he won't get booted. A line will need to be drawn eventually as clearly if things go on as they have we will be relegated. This isn't a poor run of say half a dozen games or even ten games. This is now a run of 18 games, 12 points and two win less steaks with in that 18 games of nine games and the current one of seven. Whilst I believe Lerner is incompetent I don't believe he is a total fool and I am sure Tom Fox much wondering what the hell is going on. Personally speaking it will not be a surprise to me if/when he gets sacked as if things carry on as they are then be it today, next week or next month he will get sacked eventually.

Edited by markavfc40

I can only speak for myself I guess. I will therefore continue to go to the games and continue to give my backing to the team. If we continue to struggle I will also state to anyone interested and on here that I believe the manager should be sacked. What do you think I should be doing?

I also don't believe it is a given that he won't get booted. A line will need to be drawn eventually as clearly if things go on as they have we will be relegated. This isn't a poor run of say half a dozen games or even ten games. This is now a run of 18 games, 12 points and two win less steaks with in that 18 games of nine games and the current one of seven. Whilst I believe Lerner is incompetent I don't believe he is a total fool and I am sure Tom Fox much wondering what the hell is going on. Personally speaking it will not be a surprise to me if/when he gets sacked as if things carry on as they are then be it today, next week or next month he will get sacked eventually.

I think you've taken what was supposed to be a positive post from me and seen it as negative. Maybe I didn't write it properly or maybe it was misunderstood but there isn't much point in me discussing this further because its gone down a road that was never intended by me. Apologises if you saw it as a dig at the fans but in reality it was meant to be the complete opposite.

• Like 1

I think what confuses me the most about Lambert is that he's got a decent striker in Benteke. But we don't play to his strengths whatsoever. Could you imagine if Big Sam was our manager, we'd play with loads of width to stretch the game, working the ball out wide and getting as many balls in the box as possible. With the game being stretched, it will give space for Gabby to run into too. There was a time where I would have turned my nose up at Big Sam, he would be such a massive improvement on Lambert. 

• Like 4

Apologises if you saw it as a dig at the fans but in reality it was meant to be the complete opposite.

Fair enough mate :thumb: . I do just worry sometimes that it is easy to say to supporters just get behind the team. Football is an emotional game, people invest a lot of time in it not just the 90 minutes on a match day but hours/days either side. I have spent many, many nights lying awake in bed worrying about us. As I said any supporter taking the time and spending the money to go to a game is there to get behind the team and want to see them win. Of course though when things go wrong, or worse still go wrong game, after game, after game etc, then emotions are going to boil over on occasion. Aston Villa fans though for me, and of course I am biased :D , have been very patient especially during Lamberts time.

I have many worry's about this club going forward but the supporters isn't one of them. When the chips are down we will back the team as we always have done. You look at recent times in Lamberts first season we needed results against Sunderland and QPR at home and we got big crowds and the vocal support was tremendous. Last season against Hull at home we needed a result and the home end was sold out and the support again was excellent. In our two most recent home and away games the support in terms of numbers and vocally was excellent. Whilst our support is not full of saints, and emotions have and will continue to boil over during games, when positive backing has been needed the supporters have never been found wanting.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

NEWS ALERT!!!!!

According to reports on the web Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert was found by his wife in bed in a compromising position with four Aston Villa players last night!!  The players have been named as Tom Cleverley, Gabby Agbonlahore, Fabian Delph and Keiran Richardson!!  It was also reported by an eye witness that Fabian Delph was very upset as he is on the verge of going to Liverpool FC and that Brendan Rodgers no longer has a nose for him now its been up Mr Lamberts bum!!!!!

Is this meant to be funny? :/

Ermmm Yes I'm attempting to add some humor to what is otherwise a very soul destroying situation! 

Â