Paul Lambert

limpid

Lamberts first season was progression of a sort, second season was regression from a spirited start.....that the main reason for the down beat feeling from supporters, whatever the reasons of mitigation.

Spot on for me.

I often find myself 'onside' with the views of Mantis but I have to take issue with his optimistic appraisal of last season. 

There is no doubt our awful form began in December and the points tally from the 'last' (!) 24 games from December 8th  - so more than half a season -  was 19, with a negative GD of 21....... it wasn't just a 'traditional Winter blip' (and anyway what is that ! they are still games ) and a 'bad last 9' it was a huge huge downward plummet, interrupted by the odd good result (and I would say there were one or two good perfromances that didn't yield what they perhaps should).

And it was not just CB missing, he played in a lot of those actually.

It is the nature of that huge slide, compared to what I view as moderate progress in the previous 12 mionths, that concerns me, and is responsible for the poor mood - if even people who felt we were doing 'ok' before are trouble by that run, what chance the 'others' being happy ?

In my view though it offers hope as well as despair.  To my mind we are still on a knife edge - if PL can somehow identify and correct whatever caused that huge slump, and revert to the form of the previous 14 games of last year and about the same of the year before, I actually think we can do quite well (minority of one maybe)...I dont think our Team is as bad as many seem to, I think they are all Prem quality players, and if Kozak and CB get fit we have goals, add in Okore who looked promising, and who knows PL may even rejuvenate Cole (I must admit I think the odds are against, but stranger things have happened).

I dont think the Club being for sale matters a lot, and I also dont necessarily think the lack of transfers will matter as much as some  - except right at the top level most transfer activity is really just shuffling the same players around different teams to appease fans desires for new signings.

I think it all depends on PL - identify and fix what went so badly wrong (maybe it was Karsa and Culver ?) relative to previously, and get your tactics right more often.

Costa Rica aren't ;) Holland  actually play it as well

Holland do indeed - but not well.

Australia - a team full of championship (or lesser) quality - played 4-3-3 and bossed the first half against Holland when they used that formation. Holland turned it around when Van Gaal changed tactics at halftime.

They also tried it first half vs Mexico and were outplayed till Van Gaal again changed tactics.

Simple fact is that having half your outfield team behind the ball makes it more difficult going forward and overworks your fullbacks.

Costa Rica aren't ;) Holland  actually play it as well

Holland do indeed - but not well.

Australia - a team full of championship (or lesser) quality - played 4-3-3 and bossed the first half against Holland when they used that formation. Holland turned it around when Van Gaal changed tactics at halftime.

They also tried it first half vs Mexico and were outplayed till Van Gaal again changed tactics.

Simple fact is that having half your outfield team behind the ball makes it more difficult going forward and overworks your fullbacks.

Holland smashed Spain with 3 CBs.

4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-5-1 or whatever flavour of 4 at the back you care for also has more of your team behind the ball than half of it. You won't find any team in modern football playing in any formation that play with half of their team ahead of the ball. Unless you mean while in possession? In which case it depends who has the ball :P

I don't get why playing with 3 CBs should be a problem, loads of teams have done it well and do it well. It's not necessarily negative and it's not necessarily an inferior shape to 4 at the back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think Lambert is thinking the following..:

---------------------------Guzan-----------------------

------------Senderos---Vlaar----Okore------------

---N'Zogbia----Westwood----Delph----Grealish

---------------------------Cole--------------------------

------------------Benteke-----Weimann-------------

Subs - Cole for Carruthers, Bacuna for N'Zogbia and Benteke/Weimann for Bendtner if it happens, El Ahmadi for Westwood and other mix and match options.

Edited by Tayls

Subs - Cole for Carruthers, Bacuna for N'Zogbia and Benteke/Weimann for Bendtner if it happens, El Ahmadi for Westwood and other mix and match options.

Not at all with those wing backs. Probably will see 3 cbs though

No Gabby?

Wow that would be one of the most attacking sides I've ever seen

No Gabby?

Exactly no Gabby he should be gone from Villa, biggest waste of money ever!!!!!

Can we stop panning his transfers a little bit?

Yes he's signed some duds but Benteke and Vlaar for 10m for me gives him a pass in that department.

Spot on. Hairy Hands said when he was posting last summer and in January 2013 I think that Lambert was having to go for his 4th or 5th transfer target options as he wasn't being given the funds to go for even his 2nd choice options, that's why we never got players like Cresswell and ended up with Bennett and Luna. I would really like to see what lambert could do properly backed.

• Like 1

Maybe its the sunny weather and the increasing amount of time I last saw Villa but I am trying to give Lambert the benefit of the doubt. At least he has realised his optimistic, and probably naive, tactic of just buying cheap young players has not worked He is adapting to bring in proven players of premier league worth, albeit average players on their way down. It is the best he can do given the lack of funds and total failure at the top of the organisation to support the manager. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Maybe its the sunny weather and the increasing amount of time I last saw Villa but I am trying to give Lambert the benefit of the doubt. At least he has realised his optimistic, and probably naive, tactic of just buying cheap young players has not worked He is adapting to bring in proven players of premier league worth, albeit average players on their way down. It is the best he can do given the lack of funds and total failure at the top of the organisation to support the manager. 

to be honest with you, it could actually work out quite well for us, we do have some young talent in the squad who will be much better from the experience over the next two years. The blend of youth and experience should certainly see us alot more comfortable!

• Like 1

So does the attitude towards the manager change this year? Has the failed sale of the club taken the blame away from him?

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of Lambert but this year it's hard to really blame him if we struggle. I don't think he did great the previous two but the situation we're in now means I've got a lot more patience with him if we have a tough season.

Do people think villa park will have changed their attitude towards him as well?

So does the attitude towards the manager change this year? Has the failed sale of the club taken the blame away from him?

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of Lambert but this year it's hard to really blame him if we struggle. I don't think he did great the previous two but the situation we're in now means I've got a lot more patience with him if we have a tough season.

Do people think villa park will have changed their attitude towards him as well?

I hope so, because going after him isn't going to help anyone.

• Like 2

Lambert's in a win win career wise this season. We get relegated and it's because he was working with his hands tied etc etc, we stay up even by the skin of or teeth and he's a magician for managing it under our circumstances. Nothing he does this season can harm his career, and he can go a long way to getting his reputation back on track. I hope he manages it!

like a lot of our players he's learning on the job. There's been some progress and some regress, and it's not got easier with the limited resources. I'm happy to see him carry on learning for the time being. We might well be better off with a change in manager someone more experienced, but there's no significant change to our prospects until the ownership is altered so I'd rather get behind a manager and hope he's learnt tactics wise. 

Â