Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Sooo the beeb says united have the option of taking him back in January or we could buy him. What does that mean?

Exactly what it says, although it doesn't give the 3rd option which is 'no purchase, no recall, stay at Villa on loan until May then go somewhere on a Bosman'. 

Why, what were you expecting? A grilling from Jon Snow? He said the right things, leave him alone. On that note, I'll be pretty disappointed if people boo him on his home debut because of rumours that they've half-understood about what happened on deadline day. He's a Villa player, he's saying the right things, get behind him. 

Um, OK, but who besides you is talking about booing him? Not going to happen. And surely there's a middle-ground between acknowledging a raft of legit concerns and excoriating a player unfairly?

I can only assume those getting in a lather over the intricacies of this move are our younger brethren.

Do you have any idea of the shenanigans that sent on in the seventies over transfers ?!

Had we had rolling news and the internet we could easily have discovered we were not peter withes first choice, for example.....would that have mattered ?

Get over yourselves !

Welcome aboard to a decent player with his best years ahead of him.

All this made laugh, like a heckling old man with his walking stick.  The 70s !! nobody gave 2 flying shits because it was pennies people were talking about back then, footballers were thugs and football was played in essentially a large shed and not televised. Going to games was dangerous due to the hooligans. The sport was inaccessible to many due to all that.

These days it's a mega bucks industry, people go to games in no fear of being attacked by scum and thanks to technology it means you can follow a club from wherever you want in the world. 

Footballers were thugs? George Best, Dennis Law, Bobby Charlton, Alan Ball, Eddie Gray, Andy Gray, Brian Little, Gordon Cowans, Trevor Francis? All great British footballers. I started going to games home and away in the seventies and the only time I thought I was in any danger was the Rangers friendly at home.The sport was inaccessible to many? Jesus, what planet are you on. The majority of fans were under 35 now it's over 40 years old.

Off topic but I'd also add that football was way more accessible in terms of average working wage and season ticket/gate price. I only first went down Villa Park mid eighties as a child when it was still terraces. Same goes though, anyone who had a job could go to the football without it being a massive sacrifice. Football was a much more physical game it's true but as mentioned above there were some great great British players in the 70s, we were kings of Europe unitl Heysel, beating the great european sides on a regular basis. 

It may be much posher and more sanitised now, but it sure as shit isn't more accessible for the majority of people. It's more visible, it's everywhere and rammed down everyones throats, but it's not more accessible.

• Like 1

Two of our biggest problems last season were defending and possession.

Both look like they'll be a lot better this year. Usher in Benteke and this could be a damn exciting season.

• Like 3

Don't mean to nag but people really need to stop talking about him going to Everton in January or us signing permanently for £7.5mil in Jan/end of season.

We have him for the season and his contract is up at the end of it, we'll be paying Man Utd nothing in January in our current state.

He's going to have played for 2 clubs and he can't play for 3 in 1 season so if he goes to Everton he'll be forced to play for the under 21s till next august which he wouldn't agree to imo

So we've got him for the year for sure, then let's see how he performs and where we are in terms of ownership next summer and decide what we do with him then. Until that time we've got much needed competition in the midfield and I feel very confident about our squad as it stands.

He is, like every other signing, a player who has become a bit of a joke in the footballing world and has a lot of critics to shut up. Let's hope he does it, and Cissokho, Senderos and Richardson continue to do it

• Like 1

I can only assume those getting in a lather over the intricacies of this move are our younger brethren.

Do you have any idea of the shenanigans that sent on in the seventies over transfers ?!

Had we had rolling news and the internet we could easily have discovered we were not peter withes first choice, for example.....would that have mattered ?

Get over yourselves !

Welcome aboard to a decent player with his best years ahead of him.

All this made laugh, like a heckling old man with his walking stick.  The 70s !! nobody gave 2 flying shits because it was pennies people were talking about back then, footballers were thugs and football was played in essentially a large shed and not televised. Going to games was dangerous due to the hooligans. The sport was inaccessible to many due to all that.

These days it's a mega bucks industry, people go to games in no fear of being attacked by scum and thanks to technology it means you can follow a club from wherever you want in the world. 

Footballers were thugs? George Best, Dennis Law, Bobby Charlton, Alan Ball, Eddie Gray, Andy Gray, Brian Little, Gordon Cowans, Trevor Francis? All great British footballers. I started going to games home and away in the seventies and the only time I thought I was in any danger was the Rangers friendly at home.The sport was inaccessible to many? Jesus, what planet are you on. The majority of fans were under 35 now it's over 40 years old.

Have to agree with you. There were some great players in the 1970's and I went to VP every week as a teenager on my own and never had any bother. Admission prices were cheap and players played for the love of the game not for the astronomical wages they get now and average crowds were much better (our average gate when we were in the 3rd division was a damn site better than it is now).

Of course there were great players but football is less physical and those horrific challenges are being eradicated, there is far more slick passing game now as you can't simply fly in and hurt the opponents.

Attendances are lower because of safety, it's all seated now and no terraces. This is a vast improvement. 

The sport is more accessable now due to the safety, the removal of the hooligans and the racism, the ability to watch and immerse yourself in football away from a football ground at first. It used to be almost an entirely working class game, going to a match was not much different than going out to play in the streets of your housing estate. So people grew up with it that way they didn't fear for safety. 

The game is not without its problems, but it has come a huge way for the better in the past 30 years. Discussion of football on social media is all part of the experience now, fantasy football, betting everything. 

Also, everyone alive always believes the times back when they were young were better than current times. This happens for all people. 

It may be much posher and more sanitised now, but it sure as shit isn't more accessible for the majority of people. It's more visible, it's everywhere and rammed down everyones throats, but it's not more accessible.

You are talking about going to games, financially the cost of a ticket. I'm talking about people being exposed to the best football all around the world. More people on this planet watch the game now due to TV. More people discuss it online, watch football shows, read about football than ever before. In that way it's far more accessible. 

Also as far as going to a game, yes prices have gone up. That's the way of things supply and demand. But the amount of people who feel like they can go to a game has improved a huge amount from the 70s. Racisim, hooligans etc.. would keep people away due to fear etc..

So discussing transfers and all this drama of deadline day is part of the game now. 

Don't mean to nag but people really need to stop talking about him going to Everton in January or us signing permanently for £7.5mil in Jan/end of season.

We have him for the season and his contract is up at the end of it, we'll be paying Man Utd nothing in January in our current state.

He's going to have played for 2 clubs and he can't play for 3 in 1 season so if he goes to Everton he'll be forced to play for the under 21s till next august which he wouldn't agree to imo

So we've got him for the year for sure, then let's see how he performs and where we are in terms of ownership next summer and decide what we do with him then. Until that time we've got much needed competition in the midfield and I feel very confident about our squad as it stands.

He is, like every other signing, a player who has become a bit of a joke in the footballing world and has a lot of critics to shut up. Let's hope he does it, and Cissokho, Senderos and Richardson continue to do it

Do loans count? Tom Lawrence played for 3 clubs in the 13/14 season.

Sooo the beeb says united have the option of taking him back in January or we could buy him. What does that mean?

Its a strange one as he could aogn a pretty contract with anyone in Jan to move for free in July. Or we could offer a couple of mil that united would accept should he be successful.

Riiight.

Can't say I wanted him and can't say the circumstances of him arriving fill me with confidence. I'd imagine his press conference will be interesting, sure the journalists won't take long to ask him if he wanted to join Everton.

Still he's here now so I back him. Good thing it's a loan so we're not lumbered with him on a 4 year deal like Ireland or Sidwell. To get a move here or elsewhere he'll have to play well.

As I said I didn't want him. I didn't want Senderos either or Hutton reintegrated back into the line up. Both have been superb so far. I was delighted when Ireland and N'zogbia joined, that turned out less well.

New signings are always difficult to predict. Hopefully Cleverley has enough motivation to prove a few people wrong which will be to our benefit.

Edit: Was going to ask Mantis if it's o.k for Hodgson to call Cleverley up now he plays for us? ;)

Edited by VillaChris

I couldn't care if he wanted to join Everton or not.

If I was offered a job with a company and then last minute a more attractive position cane up closer to home at a better company then of course I'd be interested in that. If that company then changed their mind about me then I'd go back to the other one.

Edit: Was going to ask Mantis if it's o.k for Hodgson to call Cleverley up now he plays for us? ;)

**** hell people are obsessed.

No I don't think he should be called up to the England squad (at least not the moment) because he hasn't shown any kind of good form recently. Signing for Villa doesn't automatically change that.

Right. So since bloke who has absolutely nothing to do with Cleverley called us middle of the road (pretty accurate) and Pat Murphy made up some rubbish about him wanting £80k a week and now he's potentially the subject of boo boys?

I have one question. If he really wanted to go to Everton and Everton really wanted him, why is he not there on loan instead?

• Like 3

No I don't think he should be called up to the England squad (at least not the moment) because he hasn't shown any kind of good form recently. Signing for Villa doesn't automatically change that.

Well... It did change him from shit to a good signing when the bid went in.

• Like 1

Well... It did change him from shit to a good signing when the bid went in.
even I'm bored of this so I can't imagine how Mantis feels
  • Like 4

Â