Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Not too sure what to think of this:

On one hand I have never seen much in him to suggest he will be a good player. Also the alleged way he worked last night doesn't sit well.

However, on the other hand he probably is slightly better than what we have and provides competition for places.

I hope he shoves my skepticism down my throat and proves me wrong.

I've just posted the link so you can have a listen for yourself a few posts above.

That's Jonathan Hope (**** all to do with Cleverley).

Irish Villan cleared this up but nobody seems to have taken any notice.

Jonathan Hope was the agent who made the middle of the road comment, he works for JSH Sports agency. The agency Cleverley uses is Ungeklart i.e. Jonathan Hope has nothing to do with Tom Cleverley and his views are not representative of Cleverley's  :)

Edited by ArteSuave
  • Like 2

He doesn't want to be here for longer than necessary and that concerns me.

He was horrendous for United last season, and has stood out very few times I've watched him.

Hopefully he'll be able to improve here before he signs for someone else next summer.

Yep. I so agree. And to clarify: "horrendous" with a fairly horrendous squad, and that takes some doing, I would think.

I think it's great to be polite and welcoming, etc., but I hate feeling like there's something wrong if you acknowledge the obvious fact that the man has a fairly well-developed negative rep that precedes him. That's a fact. Maybe it's not deserved. Maybe it is. But what's wrong with owning that fact? He's just going to have to prove himself on the pitch if want to earn real respect. He could be a wonderful surprise, but if he performs anything beyond middling, it will be a surprise. 

I've just posted the link so you can have a listen for yourself a few posts above.

Jonathan Hope was the agent who made the middle of the road comment, he works for JSH Sports agency. The agency Cleverley uses is Ungeklart i.e. Jonathan Hope has nothing to do with Tom Cleverley and his views are not representative of Cleverley's  :)

Fair enough, I hadn't seen that post.

Boo his first touch, cheer his second. Get it out our systems, and let him get on with it. If he gives us 100% and helps put the ball in the back of their net, and out of ours, I'll back him to the hilt. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

I just don't like loans. Unless I'm missing something here, we aren't guaranteed to buy him even if he sets the world on fire.

He plays pathetically and we return to sender in January/ season end (no great loss)
He plays ok but turns down permanent move and stays til January/ season end (minimal impact)
He plays ok but we don't want him permanently (minimal impact - other than fans complaining we can't buy anyone)
He plays well, the likes of Everton/ higher placed clubs return and take him cheaply as only 6 months max left on contract and he snaps their hands off as he doesn't really want to be here. (we did all the risk taking for other teams and the disillusioned player who got bumped for him has to try and get back in the swing of things)

I can't see any situation where this becomes permanent. If he plays well enough to interest us the he'll interest others and be off like a shot!

I can't think of a single loan we've had that has worked out positively. Best case scenario we get an amazing player for 12 months but that's it.

You cannot expect people to read other peoples posts !!! IF a guy says something on TalkSport or if it's written on a sports website or newspaper it is true until proven untrue. 

Thems the rules. But it does make the deadline day and the mass hysteria and emotion a great deal of fun. 

You cannot expect people to read other peoples posts !!! IF a guy says something on TalkSport or if it's written on a sports website or newspaper it is true until proven untrue. 

Thems the rules. But it does make the deadline day and the mass hysteria and emotion a great deal of fun. 

Yep, don't read people's posts. I just linked to the exact part where the guy said it on the Talksport show. The guy is a football agent and he does talk about Tom Cleverley. You can see why people would think that it was his agent.

As has been pointed out he isn't his agent so obviously its irrelevant but you can surely see why people would make that mistake?

One side observation on this transfer. With Welbeck going to Arsenal, there's all kinds of fuss and falderal about Man U "betraying" its own and "breaking" with its true identity since Welbeck came through the academy.

Cleverley also came through Utd's academy, did he not, and in all the articles I've seen on this theme in the last 24 hours -- and there are others mentioned besides Welbeck -- no one's bemoaning his departure and tying it to this trend. 

His position was spectacularly untenable at Utd, it seems to me.

It must sometimes be hard to be Tom Cleverley. He gets so much stick, even in the way he gets ignored!

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

Villa complete loan signing of Man Utd midfielder Cleverley

New Aston Villa midfielder Tom Cleverley has hailed the influence of Champions League winning midfielders Paul Lambert and Roy Keane in his decision to join the club on a season-long loan deal from Manchester United, with an option to make the move permanent.

"The prospect of working under the manager and Roy, who were both fantastic midfielders in their playing careers, made the decision to come to Villa an easy one," explained the 25-year-old England international.

"I'm looking forward to working with them but also the other really good midfield players that the club have, like Fabian Delph, Ashley Westwood and other new lads like Kieran Richardson, Joe Cole and Carlos Sanchez."

Cleverley has been impressed with Villa's start to the season and with the positive, energetic style of play they have shown while winning seven out of a possible nine points so far this term.

"I've been watching Villa games this year and it's been a really good start and, with the upcoming fixtures all big games, hopefully I can bring a bit of big game experience and add to the squad and help us to win some games.

"It's a team that plays the style of football that I like. They play with high energy, they pass and move and there are a lot of good young players. The manager told me the way that he'd like me to play and it all sat perfectly for me. I'm very happy to be coming down to play for Villa."

Cleverley is also determined to make an impact at Villa Park and boost his chances of adding to his 13 England caps.

"First and foremost I have got to get back playing and hopefully as a by-product of that I can get back in the England team. The thing I am concentrating on though is trying to come in and hit the ground running so I can help Aston Villa. Playing football is what matters most to me and I'm looking forward to getting back to what I know I can do. This is the kind of club where I can do that.

"Villa Park is one of those grounds that I always look forward to playing at. The pitch is always fantastic, the atmosphere is always good and it's one of those historic grounds that you always remember. It's had FA Cup semi-finals and even England games when Wembley was being renovated so it's a very historic ground and it's somewhere I'm really looking forward to playing my club football."

Paul Lambert said: "Tom brings big game experience to the club, he's played international football for England and he still has great potential to kick on in his career.

"There's a lot of good football ahead of him if he performs the way we think he can perform and we're delighted to have been able to bring him in to join the group.

"Allied to the players we had brought in already during the window as well as the strong start we've made to the season, this is another good step forward and we want to continue to build on our progress into the season."

Basingstoke-born Cleverley started his youth career at Bradford City before moving to Manchester United in 2000 as an 11-year-old.

He came through the ranks at United, playing for the youth and reserve teams before moving to Leicester City on loan in January 2009.

He played 15 times for the East Midlands club and scored twice as they won promotion from League One.

He moved to Watford the following year on a season-long loan and played 33 times, scoring 11 goals and winning player of the year as the Hornets finished 11th.

He impressed during preseason with Manchester United in summer 2010, eventually joining Wigan Athletic on loan for the season. He played 25 times for the Latics and was one of the stand out performers as they finished 16th and retained their Premier League status. He scored three goals and assisted two more during his time at the DW Stadium.

He returned to Manchester United in 2011 and made his competitive debut for the club in the Community Shield victory against Manchester City in August. He endured several injuries but played a further 14 times in his first season with the team as they lost out to their city rivals on goal difference for the title.

In 2012-13 he played 22 Premier League matches for United, as well as five times in the Champions League and five more in domestic cups, proving a key figure for United as they won the Premier League title in Sir Alex Ferguson's last season at the club.

Last season he played 22 Premier League games, four in the Champions League and four in domestic cups. During his time with the first team, he has won a Premier League trophy and two Community Shields.

Cleverley has played 13 times for England, making his debut in England's first match after Euro 2012, against Italy at the Stade de Suisse in Bern.

He played a large part in England's qualification for the 2014 World Cup, playing in seven of the ten group H games. He also played five times for Great Britain during the 2012 Olympic Games.

I can only assume those getting in a lather over the intricacies of this move are our younger brethren.

Do you have any idea of the shenanigans that sent on in the seventies over transfers ?!

Had we had rolling news and the internet we could easily have discovered we were not peter withes first choice, for example.....would that have mattered ?

Get over yourselves !

Welcome aboard to a decent player with his best years ahead of him.

All this made laugh, like a heckling old man with his walking stick.  The 70s !! nobody gave 2 flying shits because it was pennies people were talking about back then, footballers were thugs and football was played in essentially a large shed and not televised. Going to games was dangerous due to the hooligans. The sport was inaccessible to many due to all that.

These days it's a mega bucks industry, people go to games in no fear of being attacked by scum and thanks to technology it means you can follow a club from wherever you want in the world. 

Footballers were thugs? George Best, Dennis Law, Bobby Charlton, Alan Ball, Eddie Gray, Andy Gray, Brian Little, Gordon Cowans, Trevor Francis? All great British footballers. I started going to games home and away in the seventies and the only time I thought I was in any danger was the Rangers friendly at home.The sport was inaccessible to many? Jesus, what planet are you on. The majority of fans were under 35 now it's over 40 years old.

• Like 3

Villa complete loan signing of Man Utd midfielder Cleverley

"It's a team that plays the style of football that I like. They play with high energy, they pass and move and there are a lot of good young players. The manager told me the way that he'd like me to play and it all sat perfectly for me. I'm very happy to be coming down to play for Villa."

This is the bit that stood out to me, partly because it suggests to me, reading between the lines, that PL is actually going to try to pull something out of Cleverley he hasn't always been able or willing to show at United. Cleverley isn't known as "high energy," but he apparently aspires to it, and that seems good.

But "coming down" is strictly geographic in this case, Tom!

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

made the decision to come to Villa an easy one

Sounds legit.

To be fair, as much as I think it's obvious he wanted to go to Everton, I think once he knew that was a non starter, it probably was. Even if we were his only option (other than playing for Manure's reserves), and our meagre showing in the past few seasons, I'd still think a lot of professional footballers would jump at the chance of playing for a club like Aston Villa.  

Â