Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

So if the paper stories are to be believed it went pretty much like, he spent a whole day at bodymoor heath deliberating whether or not to sign for Villa.  Everton came in with a deal and he was on the first bus down there, man-u were too busy pissing about and the (permanent?) Everton deal wasn't done before the window closed.  So then Villa went cup in hand to the premier league saying "well we already had the deal in place before the window shut" and then with no other option, he agreed to come along after the premier league ratified it.

Someone remind me what's actually the shocking part of this story, it just about sums up the typical footballer and club affair of today.  I'm just waiting for the "Villa are a massive club who deserve to be up there with the top with their history, as soon as the deal was on the table I made no hesitation to sign and I look forward to taking Villa back to where they deserve to be" quotes.

It's a funny old game.

You need dots to connect, you're now just making up what you like to have a go at Cleverly for pretty much nothing. 

Warning points a coming if I don't leave this thread. I really struggle with a lot of the things some people post on here. 

From Ciggies & AVFC website :

" The manager told me the way that he'd like me to play and it all sat perfectly for me. I'm very happy to be coming down to play for Villa."

The  awkward way that Cleverly describes   the loan hints that he thinks it is a  "come  down"  to be at B6 .  Truth is that it is when you look at the way things have been for us over the last  4 years compared   with Old Trafford.

Firstly, you're reading way too much into it. Birmingham is south of Manchester, so describing it as 'coming down to play for Villa' is just a colloquial expression referring to the geography.

Even though I don't believe he's saying it, however, Manchester United to Villa is a step down, but it's been that way for a lot longer than four years. 

No point reading into that quote at all. This is the only opportunity he'll get to play this season (for now) so he'll do his best due to his professionalism (hopefully) and the fact that the better he plays the more options he'll have when the next window comes around. 

This whole 'footballers are mercenaries' schtick really annoys me. Of course they are. This is their job. If you had two companies sniffing around you and you had options then surely you'd hold out to see what the best choice was too? It's all a bit hypocritical if you ask me. It's business to footballers in the same way that normal jobs are to normal people. The only differences are the scale and the fact that their job grants them celebrity statis which opens them up to more adoration but, more commonly, more abuse.

Edited by Ginko

So if the paper stories are to be believed it went pretty much like, he spent a whole day at bodymoor heath deliberating whether or not to sign for Villa.  Everton came in with a deal and he was on the first bus down there, man-u were too busy pissing about and the (permanent?) Everton deal wasn't done before the window closed.  So then Villa went cup in hand to the premier league saying "well we already had the deal in place before the window shut" and then with no other option, he agreed to come along after the premier league ratified it.

Someone remind me what's actually the shocking part of this story, it just about sums up the typical footballer and club affair of today.  I'm just waiting for the "Villa are a massive club who deserve to be up there with the top with their history, as soon as the deal was on the table I made no hesitation to sign and I look forward to taking Villa back to where they deserve to be" quotes.

It's a funny old game.

You need dots to connect, you're now just making up what you like to have a go at Cleverly for pretty much nothing. 

Warning points a coming if I don't leave this thread. I really struggle with a lot of the things some people post on here. 

Not sure where you read that as a post for having a go at Cleverly, maybe your dots are over ovulating.

It started with "if the papers were to be believed" sauce : http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9453183/transfer-news-tom-cleverley-joins-aston-villa-on-season-long-loan-from-manchester-united

It's a funny old game.

I really don't like this post. Most of it I can accept as a valid opinion, what really grinds my gears is the assertion that we went "cup in hand" begging the premier league to let us have the player we wanted, that the player then had "no other option" than to join lowly little homeless Aston Villa. 

The club did what it took to get the player that they wanted. They should be applauded rather than ridiculed simply because it didn't quite happen how we (all) would have liked. They got the job done, well done Lambert. 

To be fair I think Villa have done well. 

He has every incentive to play out of his skin if he wants the 'big bucks' or a move to a bigger club. Even on the off chance he does just that we have the first option to convince him that he is best served staying here, 

• Like 2

Why will Cleverley go ahead of Joe Cole? He ain't an attacking mid, or if he is I have failed to see it in my time watching him, am open to correction but his assists stats are atrocious for someone in that area if that's what some on here are actually saying, this lad is gonna have to work damn hard to get into this side, a united flop does not automatically walk into our side, maybe last season but not now, good luck Tom you need to prove your worth now.

It's a funny old game.

Not sure where you read that as a post for having a go at Cleverly, maybe your dots are over ovulating.

It started with "if the papers were to be believed" sauce : http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9453183/transfer-news-tom-cleverley-joins-aston-villa-on-season-long-loan-from-manchester-united

It's your hyperbole to spin your agenda, like " he spent a whole day at bodymoor heath deliberating whether or not to sign for Villa.  Everton came in with a deal and he was on the first bus down there" making it sound like he left Bodymoor Heath and dashed off to Everton, even though he was at BMH on the 1st and Everton yesterday.

He met with one potential employer, heard a better one was potentially interested a day later managed by a former boss of his, in the area that he and his family currently live in, and met with them too. As it transpires that fell through, so he took the Villa option and I'm sure will give his all for the cause. 

We'd all do it if it was our own careers so I don't see what he's done wrong.

• Like 2

I wouldn't get too emotional about it, footballers are all the same (mercenary) and so are the clubs and most of us would look after ourselves. He's played a blinder - got himself into the shop window while he improves his earning ability (in 12 months time) at Man Utd's expense.

In fairness we need him more than he needs us. Who knows, it may have a happy ending but I think we have come up trumps too, and after all, we may be after bigger fish next summer?

It's a funny old game.

I really don't like this post. Most of it I can accept as a valid opinion, what really grinds my gears is the assertion that we went "cup in hand" begging the premier league to let us have the player we wanted, that the player then had "no other option" than to join lowly little homeless Aston Villa. 

The club did what it took to get the player that they wanted. They should be applauded rather than ridiculed simply because it didn't quite happen how we (all) would have liked. They got the job done, well done Lambert. 

You don't like the post? That is most unfortunate.

However, the stories the papers are selling is that as soon as Everton came in he was off down to Merseyside having spent a day at bodymoor heath.  The only reason the Everton deal didn't go through was due to missing the deadline, assuming then this is the 1st choice deal the player wanted.  As there was no other time, faced with the prospect of sitting on the bench or playing for a team...he went for plan B which was only on the cards through Villa appealing to the premier league.

Believe what story you want, my post opened with "if the papers are to be believed" and that's how I interpret their story.  Personally I couldn't give two shits about how the player arrived and under what circumstances, if he puts a good shift in he will be welcomed with loving open arms.

Only uproar is from people who still believe in some kind of player loyalty, as if this situation wasn't typical of most footballers.  More fool them really, I personally care little for players providing they put the shift in on the pitch.

It's your hyperbole to spin your agenda, like " he spent a whole day at bodymoor heath deliberating whether or not to sign for Villa.  Everton came in with a deal and he was on the first bus down there" making it sound like he left Bodymoor Heath and dashed off to Everton, even though he was at BMH on the 1st and Everton yesterday.

He met with one potential employer, heard a better one was potentially interested a day later managed by a former boss of his, in the area that he and his family currently live in, and met with them too. As it transpires that fell through, so he took the Villa option and I'm sure will give his all for the cause. 

We'd all do it if it was our own careers so I don't see what he's done wrong.

Hyperbole like putting words that aren't there?  I didn't say, or hint, at any time that I thought what he was doing was wrong.  I also didn't put any "spin" or suggestions as to where the bus originated from...but please do continue.

It's a funny old game.

exactly - the going got tough and we got our man....

Â