Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

If he did want to come here, which I doubt but you never know, then I hope he sacks his agent for allowing the deal to collapse. He's lucky we went back in for him, another year at Utd would have seen him slip into obscurity and I doubt he'd get any Premiership offers, even on a free.

He's now got a chance to prove himself, alongside Delph they can make a good claim for being in England's considerations. 

I said before that he could be a pretty good signing for us.

However given he rates himself as an £80k a week player, I expect nothing but top quality from him week in and week out. I expect him to show that he's head and shoulders above the rest of the team as a footballer. 

He has set the bar high through his actions so he better deliver. 

I said before that he could be a pretty good signing for us.

However given he rates himself as an £80k a week player, I expect nothing but top quality from him week in and week out. I expect him to show that he's head and shoulders above the rest of the team as a footballer. 

He has set the bar high through his actions so he better deliver. 

For the love of Christ !!!!!  :wacko:

Time to leave this thread now. 

If I get on radio and say he wanted 100k a week then it's widespread fact until someone proves Tom never told me that directly :D   :ph34r:

• Like 1

I think you have to take with a pinch of salt some of the stories abound on transfer day.Did he really ask for £80k per week, and what if he did, we will only pay him what we believe he is worth.,

As for the player, he has a lot to prove, and that is good for us.He will come in to a winning team, and i think his energy and positivity will improve us.I actually think Richardsons energy has mad a massive difference this season, and its no coincidence that Delph and Westwood have looked better players because of it.

For me the midfield last season lacked strength, power and penetration.I think the signings of Sanchez and Cleverley have rectified some of them deficiences.

When you see McArthur going for £7m, Rodwell for £10m, and Borini valued at £13/4m, then the value of Cleverley isn't too bad imho.

Its a loan with a view to buy as far as i understand.

I can only assume those getting in a lather over the intricacies of this move are our younger brethren.

Do you have any idea of the shenanigans that sent on in the seventies over transfers ?!

Had we had rolling news and the internet we could easily have discovered we were not peter withes first choice, for example.....would that have mattered ?

Get over yourselves !

Welcome aboard to a decent player with his best years ahead of him.

All this made laugh, like a heckling old man with his walking stick.  The 70s !! nobody gave 2 flying shits because it was pennies people were talking about back then, footballers were thugs and football was played in essentially a large shed and not televised. Going to games was dangerous due to the hooligans. The sport was inaccessible to many due to all that.

These days it's a mega bucks industry, people go to games in no fear of being attacked by scum and thanks to technology it means you can follow a club from wherever you want in the world. 

Footballers were thugs? George Best, Dennis Law, Bobby Charlton, Alan Ball, Eddie Gray, Andy Gray, Brian Little, Gordon Cowans, Trevor Francis? All great British footballers. I started going to games home and away in the seventies and the only time I thought I was in any danger was the Rangers friendly at home.The sport was inaccessible to many? Jesus, what planet are you on. The majority of fans were under 35 now it's over 40 years old.

Have to agree with you. There were some great players in the 1970's and I went to VP every week as a teenager on my own and never had any bother. Admission prices were cheap and players played for the love of the game not for the astronomical wages they get now and average crowds were much better (our average gate when we were in the 3rd division was a damn site better than it is now).

He doesn't want to be here for longer than necessary and that concerns me.

He was horrendous for United last season, and has stood out very few times I've watched him.

Hopefully he'll be able to improve here before he signs for someone else next summer.

Yep. I so agree. And to clarify: "horrendous" with a fairly horrendous squad, and that takes some doing, I would think.

I think it's great to be polite and welcoming, etc., but I hate feeling like there's something wrong if you acknowledge the obvious fact that the man has a fairly well-developed negative rep that precedes him. That's a fact. Maybe it's not deserved. Maybe it is. But what's wrong with owning that fact? He's just going to have to prove himself on the pitch if want to earn real respect. He could be a wonderful surprise, but if he performs anything beyond middling, it will be a surprise. 

Well there is horrendous in coming 7th, and horrendous in coming 15th, 2 years in a row. There is a reason why United want to get rid of him, and there is also a reason why Everton where/are interested in him. Potentially a decent player in him, lets hope a year at Villa will make him realise we are the right club for him, and vice-versa.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Having a lovely argument on Facebook, a Southampton fan saying Long is better value than Cleverley.

I'm not a fan of Cleverley, but I'm defending him on this one!

12m v's potentially nowt!.. Tough call.

I have read the last few pages and I'm still confused about the £5m bid that the Guardian claim that Everton had refused.

Maybe I'm just being thick, and apologies if its already been answered, but why would UTD decline such a bid only to send him out on loan given he is in the final year of his contract?

Got to laugh at that interview.

Why, what were you expecting? A grilling from Jon Snow? He said the right things, leave him alone. On that note, I'll be pretty disappointed if people boo him on his home debut because of rumours that they've half-understood about what happened on deadline day. He's a Villa player, he's saying the right things, get behind him. 

Aston Villa FC ‏@AVFCOfficial 23m

Tom Cleverley: "It’s a team that plays the style of football that I like." #AVFC

Wait till Benteke or Kozak is back and you have to watch the ball sail over your head with long balls from Vlaar/Senderos/Guzan

This is a bit unfair, for two reasons, firstly that we've clearly tried to improve our style of play over the summer, and secondly that Vlaar in particular has always been good about bringing the ball out of defence on the floor. 

• Like 1

I have read the last few pages and I'm still confused about the £5m bid that the Guardian claim that Everton had refused.

Maybe I'm just being thick, and apologies if its already been answered, but why would UTD decline such a bid only to send him out on loan given he is in the final year of his contract?

I don't think that anyone really knew what was going on.  We heard Villa were disappointed at his 'messing us about' but he must have been in negotiations with us at the time inorder to get the loan deal through just before the deadline.

Â