Tom Fox

Cracker1234

Fox is OK.

You won't like it but we are £8m better off than if Delph had walked out on the club. I think Delph was honourable in a crazy football mercenary way, and deep down don't blame him. His only crime was opening his mouth when he should have said nothing. If the football club was a better prospect and not run into the ground, Delph and Tekkers would still be here.

Stan is an outspoken fool at times, he wears his heart on his sleeve but means well. He's got this one wrong.

Exactly, in reality we are very lucky to have got 8m for him which should go a good way to replacing him.  

Looking at Bentake's clause, you'd have to think that was an excellent move to.  Liverpool seem the only seriously interested party, so on the open market with no clause I doubt we'd get more than 25m for him, plus it would a drawn out drama in the press.

We are a million miles away from being in a state where we can realistically retain that calibre of player when bigger clubs come knocking (i.e. offer regular european football, solid top 8 side etc), let's be honest.  But...  a year ago we were a billion miles away and going backwards....

Fox might not be perfect, he might not make the right decision every time, but by god he's already had a huge impact and is starting to clean up the mess left behind from Faulkner and MON.

Might be controversial but I don't like Fox. I didn't like him from the beginning.

Any particular reason or just instinct - have you met him in person or just watched interviews?

He's definitely got the American politician style smarmy-ness about him, but, ultimately that doesn't mean he can't get the job done.

Re: Delph's contract - it should never have been allowed to be run down so it only had 1 year left. Surely the blame for that goes to Lamberk + Falkner (and of course Lerner for being an absentee landlord.)

Fox can sweet talk you into quicksand...but that was pretty obvious straight away, the whole bullshit corporate thing.

That said, he's no Faulkner or Krulak. He deserves a chance.

Might be controversial but I don't like Fox. I didn't like him from the beginning.

Any particular reason or just instinct - have you met him in person or just watched interviews?

He's definitely got the American politician style smarmy-ness about him, but, ultimately that doesn't mean he can't get the job done.

Re: Delph's contract - it should never have been allowed to be run down so it only had 1 year left. Surely the blame for that goes to Lamberk + Falkner (and of course Lerner for being an absentee landlord.)

Nothing to do with Lambert, he wanted Vlaar and Delph's deals sorting a long time before they got down to 12 months, that is all on Faulkner and Lerner.

As for Fox, like Omarigy I'm not a fan personally but I suspect he is probably good at the job and is making improvements, still I kind of expect him to a Delph sooner or later and move on to another club.

I'd be more than happy to dislike Fox, Sherwood, and most the players if it means we have a hardness to us that has been missing since......?

Know what, I came to type that bit and had to struggle to think when.

It actually feels like we haven't had it since ( yes its a bit clichéd) Sir Ron Saunders was in charge.

It was interesting to hear Collymore's thoughts on the Delph deal. He was right in questioning the thought process whereby we accept a deal with a get out clause so low that the likes of West Ham or Everton could easily have met.

He goes on to say he offered to help the club out. Didn't hear whether they accepted or not.

I think he was right in saying we need more Villa men at the club.

• Like 1

Wants us to emulate Southampton apparently. I would have hoped for a bit more ambition.

Ooooh! So we find gems, train them up for a season or 2 and sell to the bigger clubs. Great move Tom.

Doing the same as 15 other prem clubs then

• Like 1

It was interesting to hear Collymore's thoughts on the Delph deal. He was right in questioning the thought process whereby we accept a deal with a get out clause so low that the likes of West Ham or Everton could easily have met.

But the thought process was crystal clear. Delph held all the cards and insisted on the clause. The alternative was losing him on a bosman. Why is this so difficult for the likes of Collymore to register?

• Like 2

But the thought process was crystal clear. Delph held all the cards and insisted on the clause. The alternative was losing him on a bosman. Why is this so difficult for the likes of Collymore to register?

Collymore was pissed that Delph said he was staying, more than once, not the fact he actually left.

Exactly.

I suppose Collymore's genius suggestion would be to have insisted on a bigger buy out clause. I wonder whether anyone at the club thought of that because it is so amazingly insightful! I mean, wow! I doubt it, though, because it required a true Villa man and real football expert to think of such an idea.

[/sarcasm]

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

isnt the clause reported to being 8mil but only to top 4 clubs? and the club had no choice in this delph wouldve refused to sign a new contract otherwise

this contract crap is nothing to do with fox its lerner being a cheapy and letting contracts run down

• Like 1

Cos he's from Cannock (thick as pig shit) .

isnt the clause reported to being 8mil but only to top 4 clubs? and the club had no choice in this delph wouldve refused to sign a new contract otherwise

this contract crap is nothing to do with fox its lerner being a cheapy and letting contracts run down

The same Lerner who sanctioned the increase in bentekes contract and Delphs(even though it ran down) and sanctioned sinclairs and gils etc. not everything bad is down to Lerner.who was ceo whilst letting Delph contract run down.? Was it not thier job to do it.

By that I mean the contract was running down before fox came so not blaming him either.

Edited by nazvfc

Some might call it `professionalism'.

Fox can sweet talk you into quicksand...but that was pretty obvious straight away, the whole bullshit corporate thing.

That said, he's no Faulkner or Krulak. He deserves a chance.

And that is exactly what we need at his level.

Â