Tom Fox

Cracker1234

The criticism for the club should be that we allowed the situation to get to a point where delph could demand such a low release clause.  The club had to agree to it, they were stupid with the PR and the way it was revealed to the fans.

Wants us to emulate Southampton apparently. I would have hoped for a bit more ambition.

Ooooh! So we find gems, train them up for a season or 2 and sell to the bigger clubs. Great move Tom.

Its better than spending less than £10m a season, squandering what little money we have on several championship (or lower) level players hoping they come good but in reality never play, and letting the good players we have run down their contracts and leaving for free. Thats hardly worked out for us has it?

• Like 1

isnt the clause reported to being 8mil but only to top 4 clubs? and the club had no choice in this delph wouldve refused to sign a new contract otherwise

this contract crap is nothing to do with fox its lerner being a cheapy and letting contracts run down

£8m was what we paid for Delph, so he could have walked away for nothing when we had supported him through injury until he came good. His gesture was to not walk for nothing but allow the club to at least recoup his fee while not putting off serious clubs where he could better himself. 

In fairness this would have cost Delph a substantial sum in signing on fees if he could have walked into a club for no transfer fee. Thats pretty stand-up & honourable in my book.

The criticism for the club should be that we allowed the situation to get to a point where delph could demand such a low release clause.  

Agreed.

But then again we don't know that Delph just refused to sign a contract all along. For all we know he may have been offered a new contract 18 months ago and refused it.

Would we have got much more than £8m for him if we'd sold him before the season just gone?

• Like 1

isnt the clause reported to being 8mil but only to top 4 clubs? and the club had no choice in this delph wouldve refused to sign a new contract otherwise

this contract crap is nothing to do with fox its lerner being a cheapy and letting contracts run down

£8m was what we paid for Delph, so he could have walked away for nothing when we had supported him through injury until he came good. His gesture was to not walk for nothing but allow the club to at least recoup his fee while not putting off serious clubs where he could better himself. 

In fairness this would have cost Delph a substantial sum in signing on fees if he could have walked into a club for no transfer fee. Thats pretty stand-up & honourable in my book.

Had he kept his mouth shut about the whole thing I'd have agreed with you.

But he's got rid of any honour by spouting a load of shite about the new deal.

• Like 2

The criticism for the club should be that we allowed the situation to get to a point where delph could demand such a low release clause.  The club had to agree to it, they were stupid with the PR and the way it was revealed to the fans.

I do agree but we couldn't make him sign a new deal, I mean we saw the likes of Hutton/Lambert few more get new deals at the start of the year it's highly unlikely they didn't offer Delph a new contract, he's obviously got in the England team held his own with the likes of Wilshire (over rated anyway) and who ever else is centre mid in that awful England team, and thought oh I can mix it with the best of em sod Villa. He's clearly not an intelligent human being at all, really, or his agent for that matter, he's cost himself a lot of money. We were lucky to get anything at all for him. You can't hold Tom Fox responsible for actions before he was here clearly the time to offer Delph a new contract was around 18-24months ago.

The criticism for the club should be that we allowed the situation to get to a point where delph could demand such a low release clause. The club had to agree to it, they were stupid with the PR and the way it was revealed to the fans.

We've been so bad for a while now, for all we know we've been trying to sort a contract for the last 2 years. I'd sympathise with anyone with ambition not wanting to commit themselves for another 3/4/5 years as it has been. It's only nearly a year since Fox joined he may well have had no chance of getting Delph signed up.

Agreed on the whole PR and stuff it was a bit stupid, though the increase in positive atmosphere around the club partly down to this, may have got us over the line to stay up. That plus the £8m is just about the only positive you can squeeze out of it though.

Might be controversial but I don't like Fox. I didn't like him from the beginning.

Any particular reason or just instinct - have you met him in person or just watched interviews?

He's definitely got the American politician style smarmy-ness about him, but, ultimately that doesn't mean he can't get the job done.

Re: Delph's contract - it should never have been allowed to be run down so it only had 1 year left. Surely the blame for that goes to Lamberk + Falkner (and of course Lerner for being an absentee landlord.)

Purely instinct.  Met him once.  I just got a bad feeling that he wasn't genuine.

......The damage had been done in the eyes of these 2 players, way before Tim Sherwood or Tom Fox had arrived.

The demise of the last 4 years, that they was a part of.... despite their contributions....was instrumental in their decisions once an interest was shown from other clubs.

We just have to rebuild and try and move away from the bottom....we may have a chance of hanging on to players then.

judging by the cup final....a few decisions had been firmly made.

Its very difficult, to be throwing hefty contracts around....when you are languishing at the bottom

lets just put it behind us and move on.

Might be controversial but I don't like Fox. I didn't like him from the beginning.

Any particular reason or just instinct - have you met him in person or just watched interviews?

He's definitely got the American politician style smarmy-ness about him, but, ultimately that doesn't mean he can't get the job done.

Re: Delph's contract - it should never have been allowed to be run down so it only had 1 year left. Surely the blame for that goes to Lamberk + Falkner (and of course Lerner for being an absentee landlord.)

Purely instinct.  Met him once.  I just got a bad feeling that he wasn't genuine.

A friend of mine knows him through business dealings at Arsenal a couple of years ago.  He spoke incredibly highly of him.  My pal is very well connected in the sports industry so I trust that he knows what he's talking about.

• Like 1

There is something about him that makes him unlikable but I can put my finger on it, however everything he has done so far appears to be hugely positive for Villa. People like TF don't get to where they are in business with being a bit of a word removed sometimes. I would much rather someone with a bit of backbone than a yes-man like Faulkner.

thats what you want from a businessman though, you dont want him to be a likeable if he is making cut-throat decisions

Peter Kenyon always comes across as a prick 

• Like 2

Â