Tom Fox

Cracker1234

also, yellow/gold should be the same colour, shouldn't have different shades I don't think.

Yeah I tried to match it up but auto-fill covered the whole page and I couldn't be bothered to go over it with a fine tooth comb and find the gap :D

• Like 1

the star should go over the badge for me similar to MIlan, Juventus or Forest

Isn't there some rule in the Premier League where you aren't allowed to do that? That's why we incorporated it into the badge.

• Like 1

Isn't there some rule in the Premier League where you aren't allowed to do that? That's why we incorporated it into the badge.

I know different leagues have a different number of title wins required per star however, Man City have 3 stars above their badge....

Given the fact the club has been run awfully for most of Lerner's time here. And the last 5 years are easily the worst run of seasons in my lifetime and that the only official word from the owner is he wants out and has lost interest, I'll go by the actions of the club not what's said.

Let's see what our spending is like this summer compared to teams we will be against for a top half spot.

It all sounds good but we've been here before and its resulted in shit.

I disagree.  It was run awfully initially (and is the reason we were in such a mess), but then the clean-up process needed to be more harsh due to FFP coming in to play.  Lerner/the board/whoever eventually took control of everything and made drastic decisions.  Has it gambled with our Premier League status?  Absolutely.  But if we get out of this mess league-wise (which it looks like we're doing) we're looking like being on a very solid foot going forward.

I don't praise Lerner for this - it was needed - but some of the abuse he gets is disgusting and almost makes me ashamed to be a Villa fan.  I'm glad the article talked about him, and Fox answered very well, because the **** tiring narrative of "Lerner isn't at Villa Park he doesn't care" did my head in.  The guy quite obviously cares about the club but got things wrong initially.

If I'm honest, with a guy like Tom Fox running the day-to-day things underneath, I'm not too worried about Lerner remaining our owner.  He'll have learnt from past mistakes (huge ones, of course) and has a genuine interest in the team.  It's more than can be said for most other potential owners - especially with the effects of FFP.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

I disagree. It was run awfully initially (and is the reason we were in such a mess), but then the clean-up process needed to be more harsh due to FFP coming in to play.

Yes and to make life easier we paid millions and millions in compensation to houllier, Birmingham city, McLeish, Norwich and Lambert. You seem to ignore that when considering why the clean up process needed to be harsh.

I don't praise Lerner for this - it was needed - but some of the abuse he gets is disgusting and almost makes me ashamed to be a Villa fan. I'm glad the article talked about him, and Fox answered very well, because the **** tiring narrative of "Lerner isn't at Villa Park he doesn't care" did my head in. The guy quite obviously cares about the club but got things wrong initially.

Compared to managers and players we've had and do have, the abuse he gets is considerably tame. And I see little evidence to suggest he really cares. We all thought we were getting finances sorted to leave us stronger but last season saw the real reason was that he could try and sell the club. And no man who really cared would have left Lambert employed to the point we did.

He'll have learnt from past mistakes (huge ones, of course) and has a genuine interest in the team. It's more than can be said for most other potential owners - especially with the effects of FFP.

I've heard this numerous times and so far we seem to have made mistake after mistake. I see little evidence to make me think the future will be different.

Like I said I'll see what the summer brings and if he changes his statement.

Holy shit - owner makes incorrect managerial appointment?  What a nightmare of a man!  GET HIM OUT!

r.e: abuse, it doesn't make any of it right.  The same was given to Lambert.  Football fans are horrible human beings and the sport seems to promote everything as "OK".

Why do you need evidence that Lerner cares?  Tom Fox says he does.  He's invested into our infrastructure as one of the first acts at the club.  You probably have no idea what he does at the club.  No idea what he does each week, how much he assesses everything.  Not many people know anything about him at all, yet we're fine to slag the guy off as not caring or lacking interest.  His interest so far has been to the tune of around £250m?

We're now on a much better financial footing, have a likeable (and impressive) guy in Tom Fox running the show, have a manager who is performing well, have a squad that is performing well and have an F.A. Cup final to look forward to.  This is in stark contrast to, say, 2 seasons ago.  Mistake after mistake, still?  Really?

Edited by bobzy

Holy shit - owner makes incorrect managerial appointment? What a nightmare of a man! GET HIM OUT!

Who said that? The point is his bad decisions led to a bad situation getting worse. You said it was down to FFP when in reality decisions made from the owner, after the initial mess, continued to make things worse.

Why do you need evidence that Lerner cares? Tom Fox says he does.

Your choice I guess, did you believe the general when he said we were going for top 4 with McLeish?

You probably have no idea what he does at the club. No idea what he does each week, how much he assesses everything. Not many people know anything about him at all, yet we're fine to slag the guy off as not caring or lacking interest.

You're right, no one really does, not even you. So like I said I'll base it on the evidence I see, which is the worst period of my Aston villa supporting life.

We're now on a much better financial footing, have a likeable (and impressive) guy in Tom Fox running the show, have a manager who is performing well, have a squad that is performing well and have an F.A. Cup final to look forward to. This is in stark contrast to, say, 2 seasons ago. Mistake after mistake, still? Really?

Haha come on. 2 months ago we were going down as one of the worst teams in premier league history.

Allowing Tom Fox to hire Sherwood was a good decision but that doesn't cancel out years of crap. As I originally said I'll go by the actions in the summer, not what's said in a pr interview.

• Like 1

I know different leagues have a different number of title wins required per star however, Man City have 3 stars above their badge....

City's are purely decorative though, they've had that badge for about 20 years and it's always had 3 stars, they only had 2 titles when they got that badge. They now have 4. As far as I know if we make Champions League we can put a star over the badge but can't do so in PL if it's to represent the number of European Cups we have. 

• Like 1

I've heard this numerous times and so far we seem to have made mistake after mistake. I see little evidence to make me think the future will be different.

The mistakes of recent years have mainly been on the managerial side, but he's not the only chairman to have made managerial 'mistakes'.

Please tell us how much compensation was paid in total - what's the exact figure!? I'd like to know so we can put it into perspective in the grand scheme of things.

The club had to be cleaned up and how that was done is now looking vindicated. It's been a struggle, and we've been too close to the trapdoor at times, but we are now where we are today and things are looking up.

The structure of the club from top to bottom - from the coaching staff to the chief executive - is excellent; the finances are heading in the right direction and look sound; we are FFP compliant for both the PL & Europe; and, despite a period of spending that didn't fit in with the fans' arbitrary transfer desires, we've got a bloody talented squad.

He **** it up, but he fixed it, so there are no hard feelings from me.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 1

The only bad appointment I think Lerner has done was McLeish. The others never panned out as expected but under Houllier the football was getting better and Lambert just imploded. The Fox appointment for me looks inspired some may not be convinced yet but I'm confident time will prove it correct. He seems to have got a decent manager in aswell alongside good appomimnets on t he financial side. I expect some good sponsorship deals to be announced once we are safe and regardless of a takeover I'm confident we won't be in a relegation battle next year.

I always thought the badge was a Nike thing.

Arsenal simplified their badge under Nike. We simplified our badge under Nike and Everton kicked up a fuss not so long ago because they changed their badge once their kit started getting made by... Nike.

I'd like to see it changed at some point. The current one is really crap to be honest. But I can understand a reluctance due to costs.

I don't really blame Lerner for this though. I think changing the badge wasn't a terrible idea at the time. They just chose the new design in an awful way. They basically just asked for opinions on elements of the badge from the fans, then chucked it all together and whatever came out they went with. 

Shield shape, check.

Lion, check.

Star, check.

Words, check.

Print and DONE

It's as if nobody actually stood back and thought "does this actually look good?"

This is exactly what happened. New owner - tried to please everyone.

So much wrong with that badge, could not believe at the time that they went with it.

The mistakes of recent years have mainly been on the managerial side, but he's not the only chairman to have made managerial 'mistakes'.

Please tell us how much compensation was paid in total - what's the exact figure!? I'd like to know so we can put it into perspective in the grand scheme of things.

The club had to be cleaned up and how that was done is now looking vindicated. It's been a struggle, and we've been too close to the trapdoor at times, but we are now where we are today and things are looking up.

The structure of the club from top to bottom - from the coaching staff to the chief executive - is excellent; the finances are heading in the right direction and look sound; we are FFP compliant for both the PL & Europe; and, despite a period of spending that didn't fit in with the fans' arbitrary transfer desires, we've got a bloody talented squad.

He **** it up, but he fixed it, so there are no hard feelings from me.

2woeh01.jpg

That wouldn't include Lambert's sacking. You'd imagine the 12 would be O'Neill & Houiller plus staff, plus compensation for McLeish. 5.9 McLeish, 2.2 compensation for Lambert, Karsa & Culverhouse to Norwich.

Edited by Folski

Â