Tom Fox

Cracker1234

False narrative?

I had forgotten about that! :) I suppose that was an early example of learning how to deal directly with fans.

• Like 1

We don't really know what he has or hasn't done, since arriving at the club. I don't really understand why anyone would be strongly for him or against him.

Except BOF just outlined some of the things he has done? He has certainly raised our profile somewhat, he deals with the press often, is articulate and presentable, this can only be good news.

He's busy building a backroom and we seem to be a much steadier ship all of a sudden. Also dealt with the manager situation swiftly, which might have just been enough to keep us up. Fine margins and that.

I'd say there's plenty of tangible evidence with which to form an opinion.

• Like 1

We don't really know what he has or hasn't done, since arriving at the club. I don't really understand why anyone would be strongly for him or against him.

Except BOF just outlined some of the things he has done? He has certainly raised our profile somewhat, he deals with the press often, is articulate and presentable, this can only be good news.

He's busy building a backroom and we seem to be a much steadier ship all of a sudden. Also dealt with the manager situation swiftly, which might have just been enough to keep us up. Fine margins and that.

How has he raised our profile?

• Like 1

I suppose we could reverse the question.  What exactly would you expect a CEO to do that would make you happy with him at this point in his tenure?  Or maybe what has he done that has made you unhappy with him?

A sign of how the game has changed

I first started following the Villa 40 odd years ago.  I didnt give a stuff who the "CEO" was and only concerned myself with machinations at board level because there were a few of them around that time as various groups battled for control (bendall,  Kartz, Ellis etc).  It seemed to be a regular thing.  I didnt care too much as all I wanted to do was go down the match and see us win

Seems to be a big thing for supporters these days.

• Like 1

As the money becomes more important then the people in charge of it and the ones who make the big decisions become more important too, so you're right Richard.  Fans nowadays probably care more about the men in suits than they ever did in the past, because in this age of Sky football, the men in suits are in some way much more important to the overall health and relevance of a club.  Whereas back then as long as you weren't a shit CEO then a good manager could pretty much get you up the league.  Less so now.

I'm not so sure fans of other clubs are so wrapped up in their CEO. I think Villa fans just want something to be positive about and so are seeing things in Fox to fill that void. If we were to go on a run of success from now on, I'm sure we'd look back and laugh at getting excited over having a CEO who happens to be a good public speaker.

I'm not so sure fans of other clubs are so wrapped up in their CEO. I think Villa fans just want something to be positive about and so are seeing things in Fox to fill that void. If we were to go on a run of success from now on, I'm sure we'd look back and laugh at getting excited over having a CEO who happens to be a good public speaker.

Not really.

I think fans are just more switched on that without money, we can't succeed.

And with FFP now in play, we can't get money unless we increase revenue. And key to that is a good CEO.

Never before has that been such a focus.

Money has. Which is why 10-15 years ago people started to become so interested in who the owner of the club was, or rather how big their wallet was. It wasn't like that before, and I bet people would say similar things to what you've said above but about owners instead.

Now that it doesn't matter how big the owner's wallet is if we don't have the revenue to let us spend his money, the focus has shifted.

Fans are interested in what will make us successful. In this era it's money. And with FFP, that money now relies largely on revenue. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

How has he raised our profile?

How has he steadied the ship ?

We came within a whisker of being relegated, look set to sell the goalscorer who has kept us up in the past 3 seasons, We don't even know who will own the club next season - I dread turmoil if thats a steady ship.

Charlie Wijeratna is responsible for 'all areas of revenue generation' according to the statement on the official website when he was appointed CCO. Despite FFP I'm certain we'd have a better chance of success with mega wealthy owners than with Fox, if given a choice between the two.

Charlie Wijeratna is responsible for 'all areas of revenue generation' according to the statement on the official website when he was appointed CCO. Despite FFP I'm certain we'd have a better chance of success with mega wealthy owners than with Fox, if given a choice between the two.

Charlie Wijeratna who Tom Fox appointed you mean? To a position that never existed before Fox, presumably, created it. A position that, again presumably, reports directly into Tom Fox.

Your second sentence isn't really relevant to what I said. I don't disagree with what you've said. But that doesn't mean that the importance of a CEO hasn't increased significantly, at least in the eyes of fans, with the introduction of FFP.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

But most other clubs haven't gone from being a respected top 10 club to joke outfit most would happily see relegated, all in the space if 5yrs, and all down to the fact we are being run by numpties.

I suppose that tends to focus the mind more at what happens upstairs, and someone who comes across as professional maybe stands out more than he/she otherwise would at a well ran club.

How has he steadied the ship ?

We came within a whisker of being relegated, look set to sell the goalscorer who has kept us up in the past 3 seasons, We don't even know who will own the club next season - I dread turmoil if thats a steady ship.

My suspicions are coming true now :) He steadied the ship by changing the manager which some seem to think contributed massively to keeping us in the Premier League. Whether or not our goalscorer chooses to leave when another club triggers his release clause has nothing to do with Fox, nor does who the next owner will be based on Lerner putting the club up for sale and hiring Merrill Lynch to find a buyer.  What I have seen since staying up, is a club who have brought in Scott Sinclair for £2.5m, Micah Richards on a free and released what most people would agree are players who probably needed to move on for our benefit.  All pretty efficient and 'steady' I'd say.  The CEO doesn't put the club up for sale.  He doesn't find a buyer and he has not under-sold our star player.

So not only have you no legitimate reasons to dislike what he has done, you are also falsely linking him to things he has no control over so as to defend what seems to be your default negative position.  Remarkable :)

The suggestion was that he had steadied the ship.

I was just pointing out that the good ship Aston Villa doesn't appear that steady (IMO). I accept that some of that is beyond the control of Tom Fox - but the ship seems no more steady to me,since the arrival of Tom Fox.

I have nothing against him, he has an excellent CV, but it is his time at Aston Villa that we are judging him, I just don't get this 'Oh no, were loosing Tom Fox' mindset.

Hippo.  Tom Fox is the CEO. Not the owner.  Now you asked why people are positive about him as our CEO. Everything he has done in his role as CEO; everything he can do in his role as CEO; has improved us on the pitch and improved the club off the pitch.  He has come in and done a very good job.

You question why people are positive about him and then after being answered, you throw up 2 things in contradiction that have nothing to do with his role here (a club for sale and a player with a release clause).  To me that suggests that you either don't know the scope of his job at the club, or you refuse to acknowledge it.  But either way I think I've explained my position clearly enough.

• Like 1

I would ask whether people are able to separate the business from the football (which he has also had a direct and positive influence over) and also, how steady do you expect the club to be when it is for sale.

I'm not suggesting he's the messiah, but there's no reason to believe he's doing anything but a good job.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Â