Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

I think with Sanchez, it's not so much the volume in which he gives it away, but he's prone to give it away in dangerous areas.

I'm probably making a big mistake by saying this, but SO FAR, none of his lapses has led to a goal, not even in his shocker against Arsenal. It can only be a matter of time though, and I hope we are forgiving when it happens, because he is a good player and apparently a good bloke.

I think with Sanchez, it's not so much the volume in which he gives it away, but he's prone to give it away in dangerous areas.

I'm probably making a big mistake by saying this, but SO FAR, none of his lapses has led to a goal, not even in his shocker against Arsenal. It can only be a matter of time though, and I hope we are forgiving when it happens, because he is a good player and apparently a good bloke.
I could be super wrong here but didn't he also give it away against QPR which lead to the second goal? Or was that someone else?

I like the guy though and really want him to do well for us.

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

I like most of what I've seen of Sanchez, but what has bothered me about him is not necessarily the amount he gives the ball away, nor the dangerousness of the positions he does it in, but that a significant percentage of his misplaced passes seem to be either needless (in that they are passes into trouble that aren't going to create anything anyway) or apparently straightforward (the types of pass you don't expect a decent midfielder to misplace).

I don't know if I can back this up terribly well, but even in his cameo in the cup game, I groaned in disappointment at a couple of his passes that didn't seem to be particularly difficult but which nevertheless went to an opposition player or were easily intercepted. I got the impression he felt rushed on the ball even when he didn't need to.

The fact that he has made a number of nice and tidy passes and also shown some ability to play incisive forward passes, I don't see it as an ability issue. I don't know whether it's indecisiveness, feeling under pressure, or lack of familiarity with the pace and shape of the game and his team-mates' movement. Given we had such horrible movement for most of his time here, I'm inclined to hope his errors will decrease as he gets more used to playing in a newly mobile and fluid team.

I could be super wrong here but didn't he also give it away against QPR which lead to the second goal? Or was that someone else?

You may be right, but in the CrackpotForeigner database he's still in the clear. Aforementioned database not 100% reliable.

Loses possession far too often, but can make up for it with a good pass or timely break up of play. Strange player, but we could use his physicality over Cleverley's anonymity.

To be fair to Cleverley he's had a good couple of games and seemed solid in the midfield. That's not to say I don't think Sanchez should start, but I don't think Cleverley has been anonymous in the last few games. Four weeks ago I'd have agreed completely though!

Didn't he hack down a spurs player which led to their winner as well?

I remember defending him after this. He's a DM, there's a player running across the edge of our box about to have a shot he has to try and do something. If the player had smashed that shot into the top corner he would be blamed for not trying to prevent it. Don't forget we were down to 10 men and under huge pressure.

• Like 3

Didn't he hack down a spurs player which led to their winner as well?

Harsh when it was a Harry Kane wonderstrike that won the game for them

Well it's not harsh. it's a fact.

It was a foul from him that gave them the freekick.

it's up to you how you judge that.

well I was making a joke on how Sky descirbed the goal :P

anyway he did concede a free kick which then took a massive deflection as Guzan had it covered without that, as mentioned earlier if he let the guy shoot on edge of box and goes in he gets blamed. Isnt it what the commentators call taking one for the team which sadly backfired :(

QPR away

Seems a bit of a liability to me.

Can think of a few times he has put us in a difficult position but not really balancing occasions where he has done something that gave us attacking or defensive advantage.

Edited by briny_ear

In a recent interview, Tim Sherwood said he likes players to take a chance, and that he said to David Batty when he was playing alongside him "I give the ball away more times than you touch it in a game", the implication being that midfielders shouldn't always play safe passes to get their possession stats up.I like Sanchez, and i like the fact he tries difficult passes, hes not fully up to the pace of the Prem yet, but when he will be i think we have a tremendous player.

Â