Joe Cole

TrentVilla

What a player he could have been had we gone for him a few years ago. He had it all but was unable to do it for us at this stage although he did show us glimpses of what a fine player he was at times. Good luck at Coventry Joe! 

2 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Rubbish signing. One of too many recently. Atleast he is off the wage bill now.

Yep and I said the same at the time. Only signed because he was free which sums up everything that's wrong at the club. It was clear given his injury record that he was never going to be able to contribute anything and he didn't. When we signed him, senderos and Richardson (in hindsight) it was inevitable we'd end up relegated.  A waste of wages for two years.

• Like 1

Adds to a very long list of players who sign for Villa, play a bit, and then leave without a trace. Had 1 good 45 versus Burnley in 18 months. He is a nice chap and all, but we are not a charity and sadly there was a reason why West Ham let go one of their favourite sons on a free. Senderos, Cole and Richardson as our main summer signings- how did we stay up last season?

• 2 years later...

Joe's announced his retirement. To be honest I thought he'd already retired, didn't realise he was in the MLS.

Always liked him, but never felt he realised his full potential, despite winning a bunch of trophies for Chelsea. Saw him a few times absolutely running the show for West Ham in central midfield as a youngster, but he never really played that role at Chelsea or for England... always seemed to be pushed out wide where he was less effective, at least when I saw him.

1 hour ago, MrDuck said:

Joe's announced his retirement. To be honest I thought he'd already retired, didn't realise he was in the MLS.

Always liked him, but never felt he realised his full potential, despite winning a bunch of trophies for Chelsea. Saw him a few times absolutely running the show for West Ham in central midfield as a youngster, but he never really played that role at Chelsea or for England... always seemed to be pushed out wide where he was less effective, at least when I saw him.

He wasn't.

Great talent but by the time he got to us his legs had gone, so bad it was that at times it was embarrassing. My last memory was him coming on in the 5-3 win against Notts County and he was absolutely shot.

1 hour ago, MrDuck said:

Mourinho effect at work. Jose likes players centrally that are big and strong. Makelele and Deco being exception

Probably didnt help that had Makelele, Lampard, Essien, Ballack and even Tiago who turned into a fine player

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Not even MLS mate, USL which is one division below MLS.

Saw him play a couple of times over here, had the quality but legs were absolutely shot. Think it was vs Uruguay he scored that worldie for England?

59 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

Not even MLS mate, USL which is one division below MLS.

Saw him play a couple of times over here, had the quality but legs were absolutely shot. Think it was vs Uruguay he scored that worldie for England?

Sweden...but it was an absolute thunderbastard.

Â