Joe Cole

TrentVilla

It's been THAT long since there was a post on here, but Joe Cole was brilliant against Forest.  Tracked back well (on the left side particularly) alongside the usual passing.  Not sure if he'll be first choice for us, but I saw enough to give me confidence he's a legit option.

Agree, still has a role to play at the club. Not going to be first choice though.

Good back-up and can help some of the youngsters.

Was also at Lille for a year, so can probably speak French and will help our new players settle in.

Need to make sure the dressing room doesn't form 2 camps.

I said to my old man at half time, without Grealish or Gil we had no one with the ability to make that final decisive pass and we needed cole on second half.

When he came on, our attacks looked more focussed instead of getting into the final third and passing out wide for a hopeful cross.

He slid several cracking balls into the box, retained and regained possession and looked fit and raring to play.

Indeed, as an impact sub, Cole with his experience and guile could be very useful this season.

• Like 4

The 60 minutes he played away to Burnley he ran the show. he was magnificent. That is all I can remember of him last year. didn't he go off injured and then we drew. late equaliser etc?

His best game of the season. 

What I could never understand is why with his age and injury record Lambert then started him 3 days later at Palace. It was too much for him and he was done after 10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if he has a Villa future in some sort of coaching capacity?

I did think the same thing, he must have something to teach the younger lads. I know he's an injury crock the last few years, but he's played some very good football in the past.

He's just going to be that player we bring on when we're 1-0 up with 20 minutes to go.

And I'm fine with that.

Could also be a player we bring on if trailing as well. Better option than Nzogbia or Richardson if chasing a goal. Showed last season he still has a bit about him but doubt he be starting. Said it before a lot worse players that Grealish and Gil can learn from

though think he will start in Carling Cup

• 3 weeks later...

Question for anyone @ the game midweek.

How fit did Cole look when he came on?

Even though it was fairly simple his pass across goal for Sinclair's hat-trick goal was a little touch of class

All being honest, his legs looked very heavy and he gave the ball away far too much after being introduced.

Angry man in Holte end was angry.

The ball for the goal was sublime though.

Â