New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

18 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Pretty uninspired though isn't it? 

I'd rather stick to our current badge than have a claret and blue Chelsea badge

Round works look at the avatars on here all in a nice circle 😜 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Howcome? 

We;d just be copying all the other round badges. We wouldn't be doing our own thing and we wouldn't be referring back to our massive history.

Something traditional or unique for me. Not another Man City / Chelsea / Everton clone.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, limpid said:

We;d just be copying all the other round badges. We wouldn't be doing our own thing and we wouldn't be referring back to our massive history.

Something traditional or unique for me. Not another Man City / Chelsea / Everton clone.

But we had a round badge before others so just going back to what we started?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

But we had a round badge before others so just going back to what we started?

We didn't. Off the top of my head Leeds introduced a round badge the same season that we did.

Rangers certainly had one before this.

The truly unique crest we had was the first one, with the lion facing right.

41 minutes ago, limpid said:

We didn't. Off the top of my head Leeds introduced a round badge the same season that we did.

But you could say an X club had a lion, a square, a shield, a round badge, claret colour, blue colour etc before us. There used to be clubs before us with a club name on the crest - why are we copying them? Why do we need a name on the badge? And is lion alone not copying other clubs as well? Liverpool have their bird, are we copying the animal trend?

I really don't mind the shape. I don't care if every other club in the world uses a round badge, as long as our is different and true to our history/values. 

29 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

But you could say an X club had a lion, a square, a shield, a round badge, claret colour, blue colour etc before us. There used to be clubs before us with a club name on the crest - why are we copying them? Why do we need a name on the badge? And is lion alone not copying other clubs as well? Liverpool have their bird, are we copying the animal trend?

Yes we would, at least in part. We don't need a name on the crest. Our lion originally faced the other way, which was unique AFAIK We can't be copying Liverpool if we had an animal before they existed.

31 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I really don't mind the shape. I don't care if every other club in the world uses a round badge, as long as our is different and true to our history/values. 

I largely agree. I'm countering the people saying the crest must be round, based on us having one round one previously. I don't see how a round one can refer to our uniqueness or history. I don't claim to know what the club's "values" are.

it seems to me, the biggest criteria, is having "Aston Villa" written on it as oppsed to just AVFC.....for global reasons.

other than that......I'm sure they will come up with something acceptable.

23 hours ago, limpid said:

But we had a round badge for our biggest ever achievement in ‘82, so that gives it its own level of uniqueness in a way.  
I instantly think of that game against Bayern when I see the round badge and i wasn’t even born! 

6 hours ago, StuL said:

Different variations of a lion rampant in gaslamp shaped shield.

IMG_20221009_112603.jpg

Curious. I'm instantly drawn to the ones with lion facing right. Wonder if actually that should be the way it faces? After all, that's the way our written language reads. Facing left is looking backwards rather than forwards (from a western perspective anyway).

29 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Curious. I'm instantly drawn to the ones with lion facing right. Wonder if actually that should be the way it faces? After all, that's the way our written language reads. Facing left is looking backwards rather than forwards (from a western perspective anyway).

Or looking at /acknowledging our history perhaps? I love the idea of the incorporated gas lamp but these don't quite work for me.

6 hours ago, StuL said:

IMG_20221009_112603.jpg

I don't mind this at all.  I feel it is going all in on our history, instead of trying to provide something for everyone and mixing past, present and future.

• Like 1

I really don't like the monochrome versions where the shape is just a line, but the top middle and middle left are really nice.

Much prefer our current lion to that one though. I don't think the 1874 is needed, and if it were to be included having it in a completely different font to the name is the kind of oddity that made the first version of our current badge look so bad, IMO

7 hours ago, StuL said:

IMG_20221009_112603.jpg

Anything like this would be a million times better than the shite round badge we're likely gonna get because we can't move past 1982. 

• Like 1