New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm pretty certain the the round version will win.

Fans have been calling for it to come back since the Ellis days. Even though it's not going to be the original, I'm pretty certain it will win any votes as long as it's not a horror show.

It would have been good to have a few versions of a round badge. Let the fans have a few rounds of voting/discussions, before deciding.

We don't want to be back in this situation in 5 years with fans calling for the original round badge or something daft.

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

I don’t mind if it informs the shape but I’d never even heard of this gas lamp link to Villa until a month or so ago.

It’s highly likely we are picking between two rounded options. Feels like this choice was done to give more of an illusion of choice away from a circular alternative. 

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

I don’t mind if it informs the shape but I’d never even heard of this gas lamp link to Villa until a month or so ago.

You weren't aware of the story that our club was formed (allegedly) at a meeting under a gas-lit lamp? 🤔

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

You weren't aware of the story that our club was formed (allegedly) at a meeting under a gas-lit lamp? 🤔

To be fair, I really hope this means we don’t do an Everton and have just a silhouette of a gaslight lamp on a third kit. I just don’t think the shape works as a crest. This isn’t the NHL or American sport.  

9 minutes ago, est1874 said:

No. I’ve supported Villa since 1993. It’s never once come up, until this year.

Edited by a m ole

Add me to the list of people who’ve never heard of the gas lamp/Villa connection until it was mentioned in here not too long ago. I don’t think it’s a strong enough or known enough connection to warrant being included in the badge. 

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

We should get 10 designs to vote on.

The problem with this is that no one wants to go into a future with a badge that people can point at and say "only 15% of the fans really liked that one" - that's why it's two so that the winner has more than 50% of the fan base liking it.

I think they've taken on board a lot of fan feedback and I don't think that having asked the questions of the fans that they can then ignore those opinions.

No matter what they do and no matter what options they put forward or we end up with, a big chunk of people won't like it - that's just how these things are.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The problem with this is that no one wants to go into a future with a badge that people can point at and say "only 15% of the fans really liked that one" - that's why it's two so that the winner has more than 50% of the fan base liking it.

I think they've taken on board a lot of fan feedback and I don't think that having asked the questions of the fans that they can then ignore those opinions.

No matter what they do and no matter what options they put forward or we end up with, a big chunk of people won't like it - that's just how these things are.

I'd like to know how and why they've picked the firm they have. They should have let us vote on a few different firms!

38 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Which two do you think are the crap options?

Speaking for myself (and obviously not having seen the designs) it feels like there’s the safe circle badge, the slightly “out there” now there’s a lamp involved badge and another where the lion is facing the other way for some reason.

I can only go on the information I’ve read, but it does give me the impression that the round one is going to win by default. The lion is facing way people are used to and it hasn’t got the lamp feature which might not be to everyone’s taste.

47 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Which two do you think are the crap options?

Maybe crap was the wrong word...I'm meaning along the lines of too alternative.

I think the gas lamp version could be cool, but I imagine it won't garner a lot of votes as it's not traditionally Villa. 

Turning the lion around seems and odd choice, especially without 'Aston Villa' being included. Why not keep it the same orientation and have Aston Villa above? 

I would say an alternative circular design has been the target since the start and these choices force it that way a bit. 

With regards to the lion facing the opposite way is it maybe a case of the symbolism of it looking ahead instead of backwards? 

(in western culture we go from left to right in terms of things like that).

Clutching I know. 

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

OBE, are any of the VT staff at the consultation meeting tonight? In Nuremberg there? Would be keen to hear his thoughts after.

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

With regards to the lion facing the opposite way is it maybe a case of the symbolism of it looking ahead instead of backwards? 

(in western culture we go from left to right in terms of things like that).

Clutching I know. 

I think that’s not an unreasonable thought, but I’d want a version of each of the final three with the lion facing either way. 

If that was the thinking behind it, what - we’re only looking forward in one of these options?

I just think there’s a good chance people will be put off because it’s facing the other way, if the lion was going the same way in each design they could be judged more objectively IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1