New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

OBE, are any of the VT staff at the consultation meeting tonight? In Nuremberg there? Would be keen to hear his thoughts after.

I was at the meeting yesterday. I can't really go into detail on the badges and I don't think it'll be long before the club show them - one thing that I probably can say though is that the lions all face the same way.

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think that’s not an unreasonable thought, but I’d want a version of each of the final three with the lion facing either way. 

If that was the thinking behind it, what - we’re only looking forward in one of these options?

I just think there’s a good chance people will be put off because it’s facing the other way, if the lion was going the same way in each design they could be judged more objectively IMO.

Edit: redundant after OBE's post

Edited by est1874

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I was at the meeting yesterday. I can't really go into detail on the badges and I don't think it'll be long before the club show them - one thing that I probably can say though is that the lions all face the same way.

Ah, my bad, must have misread something as I thought it was tonight.

Thanks for that. Without asking you to give away which 2 we'll be asked to vote on, do you know which 2 of the 3 have made the cut? 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

You mean to tell me that Ashley Preece has made me look like a word removed?

I hope Gerrard properly kicks off next time he asks about Archer…

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

You mean to tell me that Ashley Preece has made me look like a word removed?

I hope Gerrard properly kicks off next time he asks about Archer…

"Our inside man Ashley Preece, who was not there, describes the options as follows......."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, est1874 said:

"Our inside man Ashley Preece, who was not there, describes the options as follows......."

I read that as 'our man inside Ashley Preece'.

My innuendometer almost reached 400 megakenneths for a second.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Hughes said:

This is something the Club can never win, no matter what they do or which crest they come up with. Too many strong views and too many design experts among us Villa fans. 

Nah put the old round badge on and the majority would be happy.  Those that don't like it would still identify with it as it is Villa.

Anything new you are going to get more negative feedback whatever it is.

38 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Nah put the old round badge on and the majority would be happy.  Those that don't like it would still identify with it as it is Villa.

Anything new you are going to get more negative feedback whatever it is.

Listen, it was a nice badge for the era, but it was introduced in 1973. And it shows.

It would be frankly daft to just return to that badge 50 years later. You have to update it somehow, and that's where the club gets itself into trouble really.

Just can't really be helped though. The point of this exercise (supposedly, or as stated) was to find something that worked a lot better across all modern channels than the current badge. A design from 1973 is not that.

21 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Listen, it was a nice badge for the era, but it was introduced in 1973. And it shows.

It would be frankly daft to just return to that badge 50 years later. You have to update it somehow, and that's where the club gets itself into trouble really.

Just can't really be helped though. The point of this exercise (supposedly, or as stated) was to find something that worked a lot better across all modern channels than the current badge. A design from 1973 is not that.

A modern version of it would be.  So many clubs have a similar round badge.  It works for a reason.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hughes said:

This is something the Club can never win, no matter what they do or which crest they come up with. Too many strong views and too many design experts among us Villa fans. 

They can't please everyone, but if the vast majority of fans don't think the new badge is an upgrade on the current one then they'll have failed massively

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

The classic Co-op logo first introduced 1968, re-introduced 2016.

23 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

The classic Co-op logo first introduced 1968, re-introduced 2016.

It was changed significantly. Different colour, different font, removed a geometric element.

So essentially they took the spirit of the idea and re-worked it.

Which is exactly to my point - you can't just lift the 82 badge and stick it across modern platforms and the current shirt. For one thing, at a very basic level, we don't even play in those shades of claret and blue anymore (sadly).

So no matter what the club do, there is significant updating involved. And with that comes interpretation and the pitfalls of people hating whatever adjustments they make.

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

It was changed significantly. Different colour, different font, removed a geometric element.

So essentially they took the spirit of the idea and re-worked it.

Which is exactly to my point - you can't just lift the 82 badge and stick it across modern platforms and the current shirt. For one thing, at a very basic level, we don't even play in those shades of claret and blue anymore (sadly).

So no matter what the club do, there is significant updating involved. And with that comes interpretation and the pitfalls of people hating whatever adjustments they make.

No, you can do a round badge though with modern typography and clean it up a bit so it works well across all the platforms it'll be used on. A simplified 82 badge done right would be the best looking thing in football, everyone knows we have the best colours and if they don't they can **** off coz they're wrong.

• Like 4