New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

These are the best I have seen so far. Keep or take away the star, but its modern and very representative of the club.

I like it a lot. 

Fe8uVngWAAA4uK8.jpg

Fe8uVniXwAAlhEu.jpg

Looks like something my 9 year old nephew did on his computer.  No thanks at all, looks cheap and tacky.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

That font is awful and the line width for the lion, especially the gold one for some reason, is too thick. All IMO only of course.

Hard to imagine the new round badge looking much different though, and the concept is fine.

Sorry @est1874 (?) 😋 it's only a font!

Not my design mate!

15 minutes ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

Any tips on uploading pics very welcome!

The link works fine. Some good designs there. I really really love the AV one as it lends to the rumoured lamppost design as well as being modern and dare I say it, almost Juventus like.

But somehow the Lion has to be there as does the words Aston Villa for me. You did do one with the Lion above the words, with a classier font and stretch the Villa so it’s the same width as Aston then that’s a winner for me. 

But that AV one is my favourite! 

36 minutes ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

Evening all

Lurker turned contributor, because apparently I can’t leave this alone. So just chipping in on all things crest.

(Granted, late to the party as apparently it’s reaching a conclusion. But I’ve bought enough beer and snacks for everyone.)

And this topic is a distraction from on the field ..stuff. Or whatever we’re calling it at the moment.

I love the Villa, and am in design world so love that too. I get excited about new kits, crests, random 3rd shirts (despite recent let downs on that front).

So my two bobs worth...

As fans we want our badge, crest - call it what you will - to be authentic. It’s an identity we see and wear. We want to love it, be proud of it, connect with it. Have it tattooed on our arms or Grandmas. (Not everyone will love something new, clearly. It’s am absolute minefield.) It defines us as a shape, letters etc..but it doesn't have to define how we feel or what we think. 

It also needs next generations to love it.

The other side of things is the commercial bit of it living on a national, Premier League stage (for now), and having a global appeal. Our identity is a part of what attracts players, and potential wealthy sponsors.

With a commercial brand hat, I’m not in the round badge camp. I agree with the view that although it represents our biggest achievement, it’s based on nostalgia. It’s clean and tidy, good for social media, but as a global brand (people can like that term or not, but it’s a thing), it’ll get lost in the modern landscape of badges. Many will love it, but it’s the safe option and as a club, I don’t see that as being what we’re about.

Big things about our identity:

In my opinion, our prize asset is our name. Aston Villa is unique. AV has angles. It’s been played around with a lot, sometimes well & sometimes terribly. But it is our identity and is something to embrace. I believe in angles.

The lion rampant is important - not unique, but important, and I believe should be retained, or at least acknowledged, eg.through the characteristics of a lion.

And our heritage. Pioneers. Champions. A traditional brickwork home covered in mosaic and stained glass.

But with massive ambitions. We’re absolutely grand as a club - an institution. And should be confident about it.

Our name is unique, our heritage is unrivalled, our ambitions massive. Confidence is simplicity.Without trying to sound like a presentation.)

One thing I think people forget, and that I’m excited about, is what comes with the badge/crest. The club have spoken about how we represent ourselves - our identity. People focus on what in brand terms is essentially a logo, but I assume we’re also talking values, mission, fonts, graphics, the whole shabang - being released. When a club does this well, it’s an excellent thing.

From what I’ve seen, this type of project is a minefield. 1) Ask everyone? too many opinions, design by committee = outcome is crap or inconclusive (see Watford). (2) Ask no one? Alienate the fan base, divide opinion, mostly get it wrong. (See Dirty Leeds.) (3) Do something brave, modern and progressive? Divide opinion and get lambasted for sh1tting on history. (See Juventus. I actually like it. History doesn’t disappear.)

In my view, the club have taken a sensible and balanced approach, consulting fans and involving them in the process - whilst engaging the expertise of an agency who work in, & understand the modern footballing landscape.

If the new crest isn’t a massive change, it’s not because either are crap - it’s the result of a decent process to make sure the result is as right as it can be. People have knee-jerk reactions to new badges/logos, but good design is born out of research, insight and development, and that is happening here. Credit is due for that. 

Will all fans like the result? No.

Will I cry if it’s a circle? Nope. Just a bit disappointed.

Can we still wear whichever badge we want from any beautiful kit we own? Yep. (Mine’s the yellow 3rd from ’92. Double round badge as it goes.)

Will we still love the Villa? Damn straight.

Do we all agree Cameron Archer should get more game time? Yes. Sorry wrong thread.

And sure, I had a play, nowt special, just love the controversy. 

https://indd.adobe.com/view/3b7d7673-b121-4364-b047-f6249f6fd73c

The AV version is great. Really like that.

I just can't get away from the idea of Villa being represented without a lion. 

Maybe it could be an alternative badge used on a third kit or something. 

Cheers @Ingram85. Just playing. Personally I'd love us to be a bit more forward facing. Juve have gone on to do great things with brand partnerships.

In truth I've designed loads - have just come back to the simplest ones. 

@May-Z  totally respect the lion, the heritage story,  - in fact the craft and detail that went into the last iteration was awesome. Just bad timing to release it in bad times. And in 2D the lion turns a bit splodgy at distance..

I don't have the answer, just intrigued to see what the result is!

Edited by Muller Yogurt Long Sleever
  • Like 1

During all this excitement of a new badge design and improvements to Villa Park, I get the sense of "fiddling while Rome burns".....

Still it takes our minds off the so called football thats served up for us on the pitch week after week I suppose !

12 hours ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

Evening all

Lurker turned contributor, because apparently I can’t leave this alone. So just chipping in on all things crest.

(Granted, late to the party as apparently it’s reaching a conclusion. But I’ve bought enough beer and snacks for everyone.)

And this topic is a distraction from on the field ..stuff. Or whatever we’re calling it at the moment.

I love the Villa, and am in design world so love that too. I get excited about new kits, crests, random 3rd shirts (despite recent let downs on that front).

So my two bobs worth...

As fans we want our badge, crest - call it what you will - to be authentic. It’s an identity we see and wear. We want to love it, be proud of it, connect with it. Have it tattooed on our arms or Grandmas. (Not everyone will love something new, clearly. It’s am absolute minefield.) It defines us as a shape, letters etc..but it doesn't have to define how we feel or what we think. 

It also needs next generations to love it.

The other side of things is the commercial bit of it living on a national, Premier League stage (for now), and having a global appeal. Our identity is a part of what attracts players, and potential wealthy sponsors.

With a commercial brand hat, I’m not in the round badge camp. I agree with the view that although it represents our biggest achievement, it’s based on nostalgia. It’s clean and tidy, good for social media, but as a global brand (people can like that term or not, but it’s a thing), it’ll get lost in the modern landscape of badges. Many will love it, but it’s the safe option and as a club, I don’t see that as being what we’re about.

Big things about our identity:

In my opinion, our prize asset is our name. Aston Villa is unique. AV has angles. It’s been played around with a lot, sometimes well & sometimes terribly. But it is our identity and is something to embrace. I believe in angles.

The lion rampant is important - not unique, but important, and I believe should be retained, or at least acknowledged, eg.through the characteristics of a lion.

And our heritage. Pioneers. Champions. A traditional brickwork home covered in mosaic and stained glass.

But with massive ambitions. We’re absolutely grand as a club - an institution. And should be confident about it.

Our name is unique, our heritage is unrivalled, our ambitions massive. Confidence is simplicity.Without trying to sound like a presentation.)

One thing I think people forget, and that I’m excited about, is what comes with the badge/crest. The club have spoken about how we represent ourselves - our identity. People focus on what in brand terms is essentially a logo, but I assume we’re also talking values, mission, fonts, graphics, the whole shabang - being released. When a club does this well, it’s an excellent thing.

From what I’ve seen, this type of project is a minefield. 1) Ask everyone? too many opinions, design by committee = outcome is crap or inconclusive (see Watford). (2) Ask no one? Alienate the fan base, divide opinion, mostly get it wrong. (See Dirty Leeds.) (3) Do something brave, modern and progressive? Divide opinion and get lambasted for sh1tting on history. (See Juventus. I actually like it. History doesn’t disappear.)

In my view, the club have taken a sensible and balanced approach, consulting fans and involving them in the process - whilst engaging the expertise of an agency who work in, & understand the modern footballing landscape.

If the new crest isn’t a massive change, it’s not because either are crap - it’s the result of a decent process to make sure the result is as right as it can be. People have knee-jerk reactions to new badges/logos, but good design is born out of research, insight and development, and that is happening here. Credit is due for that. 

Will all fans like the result? No.

Will I cry if it’s a circle? Nope. Just a bit disappointed.

Can we still wear whichever badge we want from any beautiful kit we own? Yep. (Mine’s the yellow 3rd from ’92. Double round badge as it goes.)

Will we still love the Villa? Damn straight.

Do we all agree Cameron Archer should get more game time? Yes. Sorry wrong thread.

And sure, I had a play, nowt special, just love the controversy. 

https://indd.adobe.com/view/3b7d7673-b121-4364-b047-f6249f6fd73c

@Muller Yogurt Long Sleever To Add the image you click on the 'other media' button on the bottom right of the area where you create a post then click on 'insert image from URL', then you enter the URL (address of where you image is online) of your image, in this case the URL is:

"https://indd.adobe.com/view/publication/3b7d7673-b121-4364-b047-f6249f6fd73c/1/publication-web-resources/image/Screenshot_2022-10-16_at_19.21.54.png"

And I'll post your image below for anyone who missed or didn't want to click on the link

spacer.png

Some nice stuff there mate, I also tried switching the lion to face to the right, but it doesn't seem to matter how many times I see it facing that way my brain keeps telling me it's wrong, I guess over time people may get used to it, just might be a hard sell to begin with!

Edited by Teale's 'tache
Added original post