New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

Was looking at some villa memorabilia and found a 2006 yearbook. 

Is this an old dressing room door?

That's a fairly sleek, scaled back circle variation.

Swap Prepared for 1874?

s-l300 (1).jpg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Was looking at some villa memorabilia and found a 2006 yearbook. 

Is this an old dressing room door?

That's a fairly sleek, scaled back circle variation.

Swap Prepared for 1874?

s-l300 (1).jpg

that’s coincidentally the last year we used the striped badge!

Just seen this:

" FCG meeting tonight to review crest designs. A shortlist of three was put to the consultation groups. The Club will be reviewing the feedback before it goes to fans for a vote. 
🦁🗳️
#AVFC "

Time for some of you to start getting some leaks in here! If it's actually just down to three now.

Who was there tonight?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

MOMS on Twitter has been there throughout and has suddenly gone all Dr Tony. He's said in another tweet it'll go from 3 to 2 and just before that posted this..

Said all badges include 'Aston Villa' and a slightly improved lion.

I'd assume the three options are:

- A Shield

- Just a Lion

- A Round Badge.

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just seen this:

" FCG meeting tonight to review crest designs. A shortlist of three was put to the consultation groups. The Club will be reviewing the feedback before it goes to fans for a vote. 
🦁🗳️
#AVFC "

Time for some of you to start getting some leaks in here! If it's actually just down to three now.

Who was there tonight?

Let's hope it's not "first past the post"! Otherwise we might have a badge only 34% want!

Edit: Looks like MOMS has dealt with this point.

Edited by Stephen_Evans
Update.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Let's hope it's not "first past the post"! Otherwise we might have a badge only 34% want!

Edit: Looks like MOMS has dealt with this point.

Well we have a manager only a minority of fans still want, so why not?

• Haha 2

Preece describes the 3 options. From descriptions alone I'm leaning #2 as it sounds more unique. #3 sounds most likely and probably the safest/most modern option 

1. A round badge similar to the historic 1982 crest but not the same

2. A Gas Lamp-inspired crest in the shape of a shield

3. A lion - facing the opposite way to the one now - on its own with Villa’s established year, 1874, sitting underneath

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Preece describes the 3 options. From descriptions alone I'm leaning #2 as it sounds more unique. #3 sounds most likely and probably the safest/most modern option 

1. A round badge similar to the historic 1982 crest but not the same

2. A Gas Lamp-inspired crest in the shape of a shield

3. A lion - facing the opposite way to the one now - on its own with Villa’s established year, 1874, sitting underneath

Not a fan of having the lion face the other way for just one of the options. Seems completely arbitrary to do it for one and not the others. 

Basically anyone who doesn’t want the lion facing the other way will immediately dislike what otherwise could have been a good design.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I mean; once I see the final 2 options I will immediately be wondering what the 3rd looked like, especially if the final 2 are somewhat underwhelming.

Same. Just present all 3, have a vote. Lowest one goes and then have a second vote. That way the majority of fans will be happy. 

Tough one regarding who gets to vote. I'd open it up to season ticket holders too. I would say 'general' fans but leaves us open to other team's fans coming on and messing with the voting.

Out of the three descriptions, i'm leaning towards the lion only. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Same. Just present all 3, have a vote. Lowest one goes and then have a second vote. That way the majority of fans will be happy. 

Tough one regarding who gets to vote. I'd open it up to season ticket holders too. I would say 'general' fans but leaves us open to other team's fans coming on and messing with the voting.

Out of the three descriptions, i'm leaning towards the lion only. 

I'm intrigued by the gaslamp one personally.

However, agree, fans should get to vote on all 3.

I'd say open it up to anyone with a FanID. Most saboteurs are lazy and won't be bothered signing themselves up. Any who do won't be in large enough numbers to affect the % outcomes. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I'm intrigued by the gaslamp one personally.

However, agree, fans should get to vote on all 3.

I'd say open it up to anyone with a FanID. Most saboteurs are lazy and won't be bothered signing themselves up. Any who do won't be in large enough numbers to affect the % outcomes. 

There’s two ways this gas lamp idea could go. A very simple but interesting play on a traditional shield outline with some hard angles, or an elaborate clip art with a caged lion

11 minutes ago, a m ole said:

There’s two ways this gas lamp idea could go. A very simple but interesting play on a traditional shield outline with some hard angles, or an elaborate clip art with a caged lion

True. But if it's the latter, I trust most fans not to vote for it. I'm still intrigued to see it!

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Seems a very strange strategy to present 3 very different badge shapes to "elite fans" (realistically made up predominantly of bloggers / podcasters and message board admins) and then only presenting 2 of those options to the majority of fans who will also be season ticket holders, members, regular match attenders etc.

I mean; once I see the final 2 options I will immediately be wondering what the 3rd looked like, especially if the final 2 are somewhat underwhelming.

Been a weird process all around IMO.

I feel similarly regarding the Villa Park redevelopment.  I started obsessing over the architecture and what the masterplan ought to be when I was in my teens (I didn't go to parties 🤣).  So I know I would do a good job of walking round the place with the owners pointing at things and providing an historical sense check.

Open it up to anybody with a Fan ID created before a certain date, maybe this week.

Alternatively best way would be any Fan ID that's bought from the club in some way (STH, membership, tickets, Villa TV) but be too hard to manage and advertise the message and think.

Would be a shame if it was only open to STHs

I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of pounds an agency can charge for flipping the direction of a lion and adding 1874 these days?

I've got a feeling that just like with the kits, the fan made designs will turn out to be much better.

I wait with anticipation as I've hated the current one for so long.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of pounds an agency can company for flipping the direction of a lion and adding 1874 these days?

id argue removing AVFC would be the biggest thing there!

im interested in that one, the gas light inspired one i cant picture im not imaginative anough but my first thought was would outsiders firstly know what the shape is supposed to be and secondly care enough to go find out the story and my guess would be no, the 82 inspired round badge is the least risk low hanging fruit

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

The gas lamp crest will be the one that doesn't make the vote.

The lion on its own will be the best option

The circle badge will win the vote

I think we were always going to go back to a circle type badge, it’ll be a mix of the old badge but modernised.  

It will be the best option and will win the vote.  

For me the only unknown will be whether the star will be on it or not. I hope it is but not a deal breaker but I’ll be surprised if anything but a circle badge happens.

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think we were always going to go back to a circle type badge, it’ll be a mix of the old badge but modernised.  

It will be the best option and will win the vote.  

For me the only unknown will be whether the star will be on it or not. I hope it is but not a deal breaker but I’ll be surprised if anything but a circle badge happens.

Possibly a circle badge but with a " modern " lion head? 🤔

I could possibly go for that.

The standalone might win and/or be the best option though, all depends on how any of the options are executed really.