New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yeah thats a good shout

See the source image

their current badge is a cleaner better modern version of the 72-76 and 81-97 badges

Interesting that they completely dropped the F.C. 

Wonder if we'd ever go the same route.  You say Aston Villa and anyone that knows football,  knows who it is you're talking about.

Feels a bit arrogant the way City have done it, given Manchester City also is the name of the council, but can't imagine anyone goes searching for that and gets confused about it.

I'd prefer Aston Villa to just AVFC. Think I'd prefer to keep the FC bit as well though 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

There is nothing wrong with our current one, we should stick with that.  

Not everybody will be happy with whatever we have so no point changing because the current one is fine.  

Imagine the cost of changing everything that has a badge on, it would be a fortune and that money is better spent elsewhere.

Yes there is something wrong with it. The colour contrast of light yellow and light blue renders it practically impossible to see clearly. The only real tweaks it needs are the colour scheme. It looks fine in monochrome, actually pretty good.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2021 at 14:04, ThunderPower_14 said:

These look like products of their time for me. I get the nostalgia over the old badge but I'd want it updated if we were to go back to the round badge. 

Something like this, which was on the first page of Google results for Aston Villa logo concept:

images.png.96228cffdcfb42de2c8c9e2cbcbd2815.png

This is perfection IMO!

Absolutely beautiful, clean, balanced, modern, says Aston Villa Football club.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

38 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Interesting that they completely dropped the F.C. 

Wonder if we'd ever go the same route.  You say Aston Villa and anyone that knows football,  knows who it is you're talking about.

Feels a bit arrogant the way City have done it, given Manchester City also is the name of the council, but can't imagine anyone goes searching for that and gets confused about it.

I'd prefer Aston Villa to just AVFC. Think I'd prefer to keep the FC bit as well though 

We have a beautiful and unique name in the footballing world to be fair, I'd be ok with that as well.

EDIT: Actually, the crest i commented on above, would look even better with just ASTON VILLA on it.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yes there is something wrong with it. The colour contrast of light yellow and light blue renders it practically impossible to see clearly. The only real tweaks it needs are the colour scheme. It looks fine in monochrome, actually pretty good.

I don’t see what you’re saying, seems fine to me.

Howcome we got rid of ‘prepared’ from the bottom in 2016 anyway? Was it because it became apparent that we were anything but prepared when it came to matches? 

Defo a supporter of reverting back to a time when we were most successful. We won the European cup with the round badge, biggest stage for club football. 

Also on the FC out bandwagon as well. Should be seen more as a brand internationally now rather than just a football club. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

I think I'd might like the star to be above the crest instead of integrated to it as it is now. It's just so tiny that you hardly notice it.

It would also mean we have room for more stars in the upcoming years when we conquer Europe again :D 

Something like this:

Bayern Munich to officially add 5th star to team badge - Bavarian Football  Works

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I mean, light yellow on light blue... the lack of contrast. I don't know how else to put it. It's a design disaster.

Maybe I’m just not stylish or something like that.  When you said it’s practically impossible to see clearly, it seems fine to me, I have no issue. 

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

There is nothing wrong with our current one, we should stick with that.  

Not everybody will be happy with whatever we have so no point changing because the current one is fine.  

Imagine the cost of changing everything that has a badge on, it would be a fortune and that money is better spent elsewhere.

The lack of contrast between the gold lion and the light blue background and Aston Villa (the most beautiful club name) not being spelled out are the two biggest gripes with the current badge. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

The lack of contrast between the gold lion and the light blue background and Aston Villa (the most beautiful club name) not being spelled out are the two biggest gripes with the current badge. 

I get the Aston Villa name but the colour thing just seems OTT.  Anyway in things that could change or be improved at the Villa I’m guessing this is well down the list.

16 hours ago, MrBlack said:

What part(s) of it is(are) a travesty?

It is just a simplified version of their old one, the content of which you can barely make out when you go to their website currently. 

The contrast of yellow on green is ghastly without a proper border (there is a reason they had black borders previously). They have replaced it with a faint spring green outline to try to help it pop in online graphics etc but it still doesn't work. A shield without an encompassing border is also a weird and strange-looking thing. What's the point in it? If the main objective was to remove all the borders and modernize then why not just switch to a green canary on the yellow background of the shirt.

The only thing they've actually improved with this iteration is the lion, which comfortingly looks less like a Harry Redknapp melty face version of a lion.

• Like 2

This is a really interesting question, since every fan tends to come at it from a different perspective, like how it looks flat on a website, what it looks like on the kit, what it looks like in comparison to earlier versions etc. People also have emotional attachments to particular version, which is totally valid. 

I think Norwich have done a fantastic job of their crest update. The website gives great detail on the reasons why they adjusted the individual elements and the colours. It also seems to have involved a lot of consultation with fans and groups. I took a quick look at the twitter replies to their announcement and there were a lot just saying ‘this is disgusting’ etc but the only reason given seemed to be that it just wasn’t the old version. 

I also think that the Juventus ‘J’ is great. ‘J’ is a very unusual letter in Italian/hardly used, so the club thought it was a unique element to build the crest around, together with the iconic black and white stripes, which are cleverly worked in with the J. 

I’m 50/50 on our current crest. I think it looks poor as a flat version both digitally and printed on signage. This is mostly due to the colour though, the tone of the yellow and blue seems to wash together, there’s not quite enough contrast so it always looks much better in one colour. When it is put on a kit, they use the more detailed textured version of the lion and it looks absolutely stunning. Pretty much the best out there as far as I’ve seen. 

I don’t really have an issue with the AVFC, although Aston Villa is such a unique name, there’s an argument that it should be included. 

I do have an issue with the star. In a strange way I think that it’s small-time, and sure you could fit maybe one more star on the right-hand side of the lion’s head, but there’s no room for 3 or 4 extra stars. How is that for future proofing(!) I think it should sit above the crest and maybe only during seasons when we play in Europe. 

Finally, on the shape, there’s a huge trend of modernising to a round crest that’s been going for 5-10 years. Man City’s seems to be the template for a lot of these and I’d like to see the club go for something that is unique to Villa (AC Milan have used their oval very well throughout their club identity). I have always though that the ‘A’ and ‘V’ would come together nicely as a diamond shape, and that the crest shape could be built around this. I can’t think of many other diamond shape crests in world football (Borussia Monchengladback have one and Spartak Moscow have a horizontal version).  

The other way to go would be to have a lion on the crest and nothing else. I think the Dutch national team crest is a stunning version of this approach (aside from very small ‘KNVB’ text at the top). Their lion just pops due to the extra detail in the outline and the dark/light contrast.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 0Lamptey said:

This is a really interesting question, since every fan tends to come at it from a different perspective, like how it looks flat on a website, what it looks like on the kit, what it looks like in comparison to earlier versions etc. People also have emotional attachments to particular version, which is totally valid. 

I think Norwich have done a fantastic job of their crest update. The website gives great detail on the reasons why they adjusted the individual elements and the colours. It also seems to have involved a lot of consultation with fans and groups. I took a quick look at the twitter replies to their announcement and there were a lot just saying ‘this is disgusting’ etc but the only reason given seemed to be that it just wasn’t the old version. 

I also think that the Juventus ‘J’ is great. ‘J’ is a very unusual letter in Italian/hardly used, so the club thought it was a unique element to build the crest around, together with the iconic black and white stripes, which are cleverly worked in with the J. 

I’m 50/50 on our current crest. I think it looks poor as a flat version both digitally and printed on signage. This is mostly due to the colour though, the tone of the yellow and blue seems to wash together, there’s not quite enough contrast so it always looks much better in one colour. When it is put on a kit, they use the more detailed textured version of the lion and it looks absolutely stunning. Pretty much the best out there as far as I’ve seen. 

I don’t really have an issue with the AVFC, although Aston Villa is such a unique name, there’s an argument that it should be included. 

I do have an issue with the star. In a strange way I think that it’s small-time, and sure you could fit maybe one more star on the right-hand side of the lion’s head, but there’s no room for 3 or 4 extra stars. How is that for future proofing(!) I think it should sit above the crest and maybe only during seasons when we play in Europe. 

Finally, on the shape, there’s a huge trend of modernising to a round crest that’s been going for 5-10 years. Man City’s seems to be the template for a lot of these and I’d like to see the club go for something that is unique to Villa (AC Milan have used their oval very well throughout their club identity). I have always though that the ‘A’ and ‘V’ would come together nicely as a diamond shape, and that the crest shape could be built around this. I can’t think of many other diamond shape crests in world football (Borussia Monchengladback have one and Spartak Moscow have a horizontal version).  

The other way to go would be to have a lion on the crest and nothing else. I think the Dutch national team crest is a stunning version of this approach (aside from very small ‘KNVB’ text at the top). Their lion just pops due to the extra detail in the outline and the dark/light contrast.  

This guy graphic designs. I agree on pretty much everything, except I think the current one is decent flat especially compared to some of the shit in the rest of the league.

Edited by a m ole