Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

For the love of god no more Scottish managers.

We need either a young up and coming continental manager, in which Murat Yakin would be a perfect fit.

If not scottish, what about Finnish Legend of Scottish League Mixu Paatelainen? :D

How did Moyes get 4th with Everton if he was so awful? He built a fantastic team there. Lets not pretend Everton played shite football because of one poor season at Man United.

FFS he couldn't even get last years champions into the top 6 with all the supposed talent united have! He is better than McLeish and Lambert but then again so is my cat.

There's a few young managers out there that could do a decent job actually, and would probably relish the chance and are not out of our grasp. They would probably need a bit of a compensation payment but I doubt they'd turn down the chance to turn around a PL team with a blank canvas and bit of money to spend.

Remi Garde (Lyon)

Unai Emery (Sevilla)

Oscar Garcia (Brighton)

Mauricio Pellegrino (Estudiantes)

Failing that, and they want to pick up an out-of-work manager then Michael Laudrup is surely worth a go. His contacts abroad would be worth it alone. Dan Petrescu could be another one worth a shout.

Moyes would be a shocking choice

We need to move away from these British managers and their prehistoric training methods and tactics

Rodgers being the exception obviously who is different

My choice would be a young ex player from the continent it has worked well for Southampton with Pochettino and Atletico Madrid with Simeone

What about Nil Lamptey or Bosko Balaban?

I'd take Luc Nilis and his plaster cast if it meant seeing the back of Lambert

Edited by AshVilla

What I think is most important is first of all that we implant a vision for the future. Someone working above the manager (CEO or DoF) that would be there overseeing things because as we know managers come and go (hopefully not to the extent they have been in the past years). Having a clear plan and not some vague five year plan without having a clue how to carry it out.

If Lambert does stay the same should apply.

In this sort of thread 2-3 years ago I wonder how many people didn't want Martinez, I can remember a few. Sometimes managers are goo fits for clubs and bad for others depending on circumstances.

To be fair, Martinez' Wigan looked very inconsistent and he never looked to hit the stride. Hindsight is wonderful thing.
We shouldn't forget aswell, that he is working with a team building mainly by Moyes. Martinez always seemed to build an average team, playing good football but with a terrible defence. He's landed on his feet, having Distin, Jagielka, Coleman, Baines and that Stones lad at his disposal. When he has to replace Distin, (possibly on a budget) we could see a return of a Wigan-esq defence.
  • Like 1

One of the possibilities could be Bernd Schuster who's managing Malaga at the moment, at least he's known for attacking style of football.

The fact that a poverty-stricken club like Malaga could hire Schuster in the first place kind of pours scorn on the idea that we can't get a better manager than Lambert even under the current limitations.

11 players spilling blood and sweat can make an average manager look great and vice versa and i think united players under moyes were never interested in playing for him, once morale is gone and the players arent interested in the manager theres no coming back. Although having said all that he is incredibly boring and old fashioned and i'd like to see a more forward thinking modern manager next up. Whether thats realistic or not is debatable.

Edited by Cliffy Biro

Want an up and coming coach style manager. None of these dinosaur types. Can't believe someone mentioned Pulis, wash your mouth out!

I'd rather stick with Lambert than Moyes or Pulis. 

Lambert isn't your typical defensive Scotsman type manager as some have alluded to in this thread. He tried to play attacking, realized we weren't that good at it and since has played sensibly within our limits, with the odd exception. 

Why do people want Laudrup?

Won a trophy. Got Swans comfortably top 10 last year following Rodgers which wasn't easy.

I'm surprised people are dismissing him so easily aswell.

Id argue he carried on Rodgers' works and then rapidly went downhill so much that he was sacked.

Won a cup, fair enough, a very good achievement. But we weren't far off it ourselves that season and we were hardly very good.

Basically I'm unconvinced by Laudrup. I don't think he did well enough at Swansea to warrant the plaudits he seems to get

• Like 1

Won a trophy. Got Swans comfortably top 10 last year following Rodgers which wasn't easy.

Indeed. One of the most surprising sackings in a long time. Injuries and a dramatic loss of form for Michu and a squad too small to compete on all fronts lead to a poor start this season, but they were for the main still playing decent enough stuff. I think he'd have turned it and it's not as though they've gone from strength to strength since he left.

I think he's got the talent myself, as well as a clear and defined philosophy. Oh, and he's one of my boyhood hero's...

But then I thought all of that about Lambert so hey, take it with a pinch of.

• Like 1

Id argue he carried on Rodgers' works and then rapidly went downhill so much that he was sacked.

Won a cup, fair enough, a very good achievement. But we weren't far off it ourselves that season and we were hardly very good.

Basically I'm unconvinced by Laudrup. I don't think he did well enough at Swansea to warrant the plaudits he seems to get

Doesn't seem to get *too* many plaudits. Think opinions on him are fairly balanced. He certainly deserved more time considering what he had achieved, but football be football.

He had failings yes. I think he was too rigid at times tactically and he strikes me as a difficult character. But this is the "realistic" thread right? Seeing as Lerner is still here, we need to accept we're not going to get perfect.

If it's a choice between Laudrup and Malky Mackay...

I did say I was undecided. I'm just saying I'd be reserved about Laudrup getting the job.

And I agree with you completely about the realistic bit. Its why I can't believe people are so quick to turn down Moyes

Wigans boss? (Forgot name)

Jesus fella at benfica? (Mint owners needed)

Not moyes. Not cause of the last 12 months but Everton mates of mine said he was great for them. Really was. But they were dull and he spunked a lot of money of gash players.

Baines, Marillas and Howard being the only 'top' players he signed.