Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

I think what this thread shows is the impossible task of appointing a manager.

2 years ago, Lambert was the best thing since sliced bread, Moyes was out of our reach & OGS was a dream manager.

Now, it seems to many that none of them are good enough to manage us.

The divide & differing of opinions is interesting & epitomises the huge gamble involved in appointing a manager & trusting him with the cheque book.

In my lifetime, I can only think of MON & BFR who were such certainties for the job & wanted by such a vast majority. After that it was Brian Little & dare I say it, Paul Lambert.

The list of failures of PL managers far, far outweighs the successes.

I would literally rather stick with Lambert than go for Moyes. Give Lambert the same backing we would give Moyes and I think they would have us in a very similar position. 

Ideally i'd like a progressive manager, who's good tactically, who plays good football, who can coach players to play better football. Someone like Martinez or Rodgers would be great. When you watch Liverpool or Everton play you can tell that those type of managers think about every aspect of the match tactically and give each players individual instructions in how to play. Managers like Lambert, Moyes, O'Neil just seem like they throw 11 players on the pitch and tell them to play with a general outline of how to play. 

I definitely would like to stick with Lambert if say he was given 20-40 million to spend this summer. Just let Lambert go nuts one summer and hopefully we'd be set for a couple of seasons. Lambert seems to have a decent eye for talent, but the problem is, he is forced to play these inexperienced players and they just aren't ready. The likes of Westwood, Lowton, Bacuna, and Okore all seem like potentially decent footballers, but I don't think they should be going 90 minutes each week and be relied on so heavily.  

Doesn't matter. I was making a point that potential isn't always realised. Pick any number of managers who haven't fulfilled their potentialPlus, with our chairman's record, would you trust him to pick the future mourinho?

You can't say whether someone has fulfilled their potential in four months being the point. Did you say the same four months into Lambert's reign here when we were struggling?
you're completely missing the point.

If anything, you're backing my point up.

Forget solksjaer, that's really not important to my point. My point is exactly what you've said. You can't judge potential very well. So saying you don't want Moyes, you'd rather someone who'll take us further is all well and good.

But actually finding that manager is a very very difficult task.

Can we afford to pass on someone like Moyes because we MIGHT get the next great undiscovered manager?

I don't think we can.

Edited by Stevo985

Would Everton's fans take Moyes back now?

Look what Martinez has done with virtually the same team.  That's not to say I don't rate Moyes, however you have to wander whether his defensive style has actually held Everton back. Martinez has actually won something don't forget, while Moyes has been steady but conservative. 

So what do we want?

Look what Martinez has done with virtually the same team.  That's not to say I don't rate Moyes, however you have to wander whether his defensive style has actually held Everton back. Martinez has actually won something don't forget, while Moyes has been steady but conservative. 

So what do we want?

I don't want us to be a mid table side, so Moyes? No. Again, where has the ambition gone?

Edited by villalad21

Look what Martinez has done with virtually the same team. That's not to say I don't rate Moyes, however you have to wander whether his defensive style has actually held Everton back. Martinez has actually won something don't forget, while Moyes has been steady but conservative.

So what do we want?

I don't want us to be a mid table side, so Moyes? No. Again, where has the ambition gone?
this is the kind of post I don't understand. Everton were top 6 fairly consistently under Moyes.

Who do you want villa to get who's going to deliver better than that?

Its great saying "oh let's get an unknown manager who has potential and can get us into the champions league". But who is that manager?

Moyes wouldn't have to be the manager forever.

I'm not saying I necessarily want Moyes, but I find people turning their nose up at him because we should be aiming higher totally hilarious.

• Like 1

if you look at the French, Spanish, german leagues, apart from the big 2 or 3 in each league, the rest of the teams don't get much tv money

we could afford a manager from one of the teams that have beaten Barcelona this year for example.

Everton were dreadful for long periods under Moyes. They often seemed to have a spurt in the last 3rd of the season. I thought he stayed at Everton to long and became a 'good Everton manager' rather than someone who could uproot and implement his blueprint elsewhere.

I really don't know if swapping Lambert for Moyes would be more of the same - Then again I am in the small minority who have a slight preference for giving Lambert a little while longer

How could you not want moyes? Everton were not just a midtable team under him. He's proven he could get a club like us to that 5th/6th spot and with better investment who knows. He's also at a decent age to build something long term and i would imagine the last 6 months have made him hungry to get back out there and prove he's not the joke the media and football fans around the country have made him out to be.

Unfortunatly i think moyes will have better offers anyway.

Look what Martinez has done with virtually the same team. That's not to say I don't rate Moyes, however you have to wander whether his defensive style has actually held Everton back. Martinez has actually won something don't forget, while Moyes has been steady but conservative.

So what do we want?

this is the kind of post I don't understand. Everton were top 6 fairly consistently under Moyes.

Who do you want villa to get who's going to deliver better than that?

Its great saying "oh let's get an unknown manager who has potential and can get us into the champions league". But who is that manager?

Moyes wouldn't have to be the manager forever.

I'm not saying I necessarily want Moyes, but I find people turning their nose up at him because we should be aiming higher totally hilarious.

Don't think he will manage that now, as we have Liverpool actually good again, Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd (possibly with a world class manager, and loads of money to spend), Everton on the rise and even Tottenham up there. People that actually think Moyes will get us into top 6 with negative tactics really need a reality check. I'd keep Lambert over Moyes any time of the week.

Edited by villalad21

Aim high, why settle for mediocre?

Does anyone think that Liverpool actually set out to win the league this year? They were looking at Champions League qualification but because they believe in their collective ability and didn't settle for just being a bit better than last season they may very well hit the jackpot.

There are too many Villa fans ready to take average and seemingly have no ambition or aspiration.

Thank God we never had this mentality pre 1982. As fans we believed that we could compete (remember Liverpool and for a short while Nottingham Forest were the bees knees). I am not suggesting for one minute that things are the same in the world of football as they were back then but for Christ sake have something to aim for and believe in other than mid tabled nothingness.

Moyes for a 3 year stint as the new owners bed in might not be the worst thing. Depends on whether they're planning in throwing the kitchen sink at things right away or gradually building us up to top 8 before going on a mental push for the cl.

There are pros and cons to each approach

• Like 1

How could you not want moyes? Everton were not just a midtable team under him. He's proven he could get a club like us to that 5th/6th spot and with better investment who knows. He's also at a decent age to build something long term and i would imagine the last 6 months have made him hungry to get back out there and prove he's not the joke the media and football fans around the country have made him out to be.

Unfortunatly i think moyes will have better offers anyway.

Spurs would be the only better option for him