Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

Would Moyes be such a bad shout. Did wonders at Everton.

Yes, he would!! He is BORING!! and we will be getting same tripe we witnessed under McLeish & Lambert!! You do realise it took Moyes least 3/4 years until Everton look okish and then took until after xmas before they really picked up points in most of the season's he was there!!

Would be such a boring appointment! can't understand why everyone rates him so much? Wow he got Everton into Top 6 a few times!! So did Martin O'Neill here, and his tactics was similar.

None of them have a Plan B apparent from long balls to the big man or hit teams on counter attack..

Fed up with this brand of football and so are lot of other people.

Murat Yakin.

yes exactly!! can't believe people are all going on about Moyes!! When a forward thinking, brilliant tactician like Murat Yakin could be tempted to Villa Park! Plays youngsters, brings them on properly, beaten lot of big teams in Champions League! and he is only 39!! for me, he is very much in Martinez mould! and deserves a crack in Premiership!

He is better than most of the suggestion already posted in this thread! If you have never heard of him, suggest you do :D:P

Just looked him up, does have a good record. Do people think he is ready to leave and take the step up?

read this mate!

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2014/04/10/4737306/the-next-guardiola-marvellous-murat-yakin-deserves-a-chance

Against all the odds and the expectations of the continent, Basel made history last season by reaching their first European semi-final. Twelve months on, with dreams of a treble still alive as their domestic superiority continues, the Swiss champions are on the brink of the last four again after dismantling Valencia in the Europa League quarter-final first leg.

All this with a squad size and financial backing which barely register on the Richter scale of the continent's biggest movers and shakers. Little wonder, then, that coach Murat Yakin is becoming one of Europe's hottest properties.

On the brink of joining Schalke before the deal fell through, thw einger has speed and skill in abundance - and a wicked finish.While Basel are no strangers to Europe's top table, they have always remained small fry among the continental elite. Shock Champions League wins over Manchester United and Bayern Munich in 2011-12 were seen as one-off triumphs rather than signs of genuine progress under coach Thorsten Fink (and later Heiko Vogel). A 7-0 thrashing at the Allianz Arena that season was a return to the norm. 

Yakin has changed that perception. After guiding Luzern to second in the league and a place in the Schweizer Cup final, the former midfielder was picked to replace Vogel in October 2012 after Basel picked up just four wins in their first 11 games. Yakin promptly defended Basel's league crown reached the cup final against Grasshopper Zurich. A penalty shoot-out defeat handed their rivals their first trophy in 10 years, and remains Yakin's sole blot on his Basel copybook.

But it was in European competition where he began to capture attention. Building his side around a flexible 4-2-3-1 system, Basel despatched Dnipro and Zenit with minimal fuss before their historic win over Andre Villas-Boas' Tottenham last season. Defeat to eventual winners Chelsea followed, but Yakin – far from accepting an inevitable end to the dream – was already plotting revenge. 

Summer brought more transition to the club: the departure of outstanding defensive prospect Aleksandar Dragovic and the retirement of club icon Alex Frei could have been enough to destabilise FCB in the past. But not under Yakin. In came former players Matias Delgado and Behrang Safari, Ivan Ivanov and later Marek Suchy bolstered the defence, and the core talent of Yann Sommer, Fabian Frei, Mohamed Salah and Valentin Stocker was retained.

Yakin also toyed with his tactics. The 4-2-3-1 system was adapted to a 4-1-4-1 for Basel's more difficult games, with Fabian Frei moved into the midfield pivot role (one which Yakin adopted for club and country as a player) to allow more creative freedom for Stocker, Salah and new signing Giovanni Sio further forward. It was a system deployed for spells of the game at Stamford Bridge, as Basel inflicted upon Jose Mourinho his only home defeat thus far since his return to Chelsea and a first win in 20 attempts for Swiss sides in England.

By the time Salah struck the winner in the return fixture - and sealed his own January move to the Blues - Yakin was a noisy blip on the European radar, buoyed by the "beautiful" praise of Mourinho. Hannover made enquiries, which the 39-year-old dismissed; Tottenham, having dispensed with Villas-Boas, reportedly named him on a shortlist of options which included Louis van Gaal and Ajax coach Frank de Boer. Stellar company indeed.

Injuries soon mounted; Schar's three-month convalescence was made worse by a host of further absentees. So Yakin changed again: Frei was moved into the back four, Mohamed Elneny and Serey Die took charge of the midfield engine room, and Basel stayed top of the Super League before putting Europa League top-scorers Red Bull Salzburg out of the competition with a whimper.

Against Valencia, with no recognised strikers available, five defenders sidelined and St Jakob Park empty after a supporter ban, the end of the road seemed inevitable - this was a team who beat Barcelona at Camp Nou, after all. But not so. Yakin started the match with Delgado as a false 10, with Stocker and David Degen either side on the wings. Delgado scored his first goals since September; Basel were free-flowing, supremely disciplined and up for the fight. And yet the win came as no surprise to Yakin's charges.

"It's not incredible for us," Delgado said after the match. "We believed that we could do something like that, for sure. Maybe we didn't think about winning 3-0, but our team beat Chelsea, these lads have a lot of experience with big teams – you can see it, you can feel it." Yakin has never lost by three or more goals in Europe. Don't expect this belief to waver in Spain on Thursday.

On the brink of more domestic silverware and a second-successive Europa League semi-final, Yakin's stock has never been higher, and he will be primed to listen to any offers from abroad this summer as he enters the final year of his contract. The Bundesliga and the Premier League remain the most likely possible destination; some of his Basel stars could even join him.

As a player, Yakin struggled to cement himself at clubs outside of Switzerland. Stuttgart, Kaiserslautern and Fenerbahce (twice) all tried and failed to coax the best from him on the pitch. But should he continue to flourish in the dugout, the man already regarded as one of Basel's greatest-ever servants could yet become their finest export to date.

He was close to going to Crystal Palace (Before Pulis) and Sunderland (Before Poyet) this season!! He would love chance in Premiership

• Like 2

Stop rating Moyes. He is no better than Lambert. So one dimensional boring football. He is old skool and if he couldn't do anything with a team like Man U, he will do **** all for us. Very very limited manager.

Matinez comes in to Everton Loans a few players who have impact straight away. Something Moyes had been trying to do there for years. I would much rather watch Everton under Martinez than under a dull an boring McLei....sorry Moyes!!!

• Like 1

I think Benitez would be pretty unpopular choice, and new owners would've probably done their homework. I'd much rather prefer manager outside of the UK with fresh set of ideas, none of the english/irish/scottish options instills me with anykind of hope.

Why would he be unpopular?

Turgid style of football and Liverpool connection.

People seemed to be able to get over it for Houllier?

I always said, when Benitez managed Liverpool, he's a great manager for cup runs and inspiring players and giving you memorable nights of rollercoaster emotions. For seriously competing to win the league, he never showed the tactical flexibility, but to be fair, that was all a long time ago now.

So he wasn't good enough for Liverpool then, what would make him good enough for us now?

He's Martin O'Neill MKII. Outdated ideas, cheque book manager. Oh and yeah, **** him for being a fat Spanish waiter too. Sorry if people don't "get" football grudges.

In this sort of thread 2-3 years ago I wonder how many people didn't want Martinez, I can remember a few. Sometimes managers are goo fits for clubs and bad for others depending on circumstances.

Martinez has always played passing/attacking football for the teams he has managed! Swansea, Wigan and now Everton

Getting Swansea from lower leagues to Championship at time, then Wigan played football the right way also in premiership and drew praise from media for way he sets his teams out to play, i was all for Martinez when at Swansea and then WIgan coming to the Villa.

You don't see that from a Moyes team, since when have Everton or Man Utd played truly wonderful, passing football? he didn't even replicate that style either at Preston! he just plays similar tactics to MON, McLeish or Lambert.. no Plan B and hoof it long to Big Man upfront.

Big No, No

Edited by Villan4Life

Comon no one can disagree we need a complete change of football philosophy at the club. No hoofball, no Bradford debacles and no flapping on the ball. Unfortunately guys this wont change under Lambert or signing a manager like Moyes. They need to be from the continent!

How did Moyes get 4th with Everton if he was so awful? He built a fantastic team there. Lets not pretend Everton played shite football because of one poor season at Man United.

How did Moyes get 4th with Everton if he was so awful? He built a fantastic team there. Lets not pretend Everton played shite football because of one poor season at Man United.

Football has moved on a lot since Everton got 4th! I doubt Moyes will ever get 4th again managing another team in Premiership..

In this sort of thread 2-3 years ago I wonder how many people didn't want Martinez, I can remember a few. Sometimes managers are goo fits for clubs and bad for others depending on circumstances.

To be fair, Martinez' Wigan looked very inconsistent and he never looked to hit the stride. Hindsight is wonderful thing.

league finishes of 15th, 7th, 17th, 4th and 11th under Moyes (first 5 seasons at Everton) 

some bad seasons and some pretty good seasons.. All in all too inconsistent and has been ever since.

Edited by Villan4Life

To be fair, Martinez' Wigan looked very inconsistent and he never looked to hit the stride. Hindsight is wonderful thing.

As soon as Martinez has to replace the GK and defenders Everton will struggle. Going forward Martinez's teams are very good but defensively a bit of a mess. Having Coleman, Baines, Jagielka, Distin and Howard is an excellent starting point for any manager. Then you have Stones in there as well.

Moyes would be a shocking choice

We need to move away from these British managers and their prehistoric training methods and tactics

Rodgers being the exception obviously who is different

My choice would be a young ex player from the continent it has worked well for Southampton with Pochettino and Atletico Madrid with Simeone

Edited by AshVilla

Moyes would be a shocking choice

We need to move away from these British managers and their prehistoric training methods and tactics

Rodgers being the exception obviously who is different

My choice would be a young ex player from the continent it has worked well for Southampton with Pochettino and Atletico Madrid with Simeone

What about Nil Lamptey or Bosko Balaban?