Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

the problem for me with most of the premier league managers is that they have all been in the job for such a short time it is impossible to get a realistic view of how much they are influencing their teams and how much of the performance is down to them, as opposed to what they inherited.

everton is a classic example - martinez is getting all of the plaudits for what everton are doing at the moment, while moyes is a limited manager who plays negative football. who do we credit with everton being where they are today? moyes for developing the players over a number of years that martinez has inherited - baines, osman, rodwell, howard, jagielka, mirallas etc or martinez for getting the most out of them now that they are in their prime?

martinez had several years to build a squad at wigan and we all know how that went...

southhampton is a similar story - pochettino inherited lallana, shaw, rodriquez, lambert, schneiderlin, clyne, ward-prouse, boruc etc, all of whom have showed fantastic form this season - how will his management skills next season look without a number of those key players?

for me, the managers that have outperformed this season in the top tier are rodgers and martinez, who now have progressed beyond bottom half teams and would see no reason to look down the table for a new project...

Of the next tier are pocchetino, steve bruce, mark hughes, tony pulis, all of whom I think have done very well, and none of whom I think are what the naysayers to Moyes are looking for.  

You then have the international coaches, who have come in and had varying degrees of success - Magath, Poyet, Mel, Soljskaer, Meulensteen and the really young former players cum coaches - sherwood, monk, adams....

to succeed in the premier league is very difficult and to transition from other international leagues even harder...

not sure where i meant to end up when i started this post, but i guess my point is this - we'd all love to play attractive football, score a shed load of goals and be challenging the best teams in europe. with the squad we have at the moment, and the finances we have available now (or are likely to have available over the summer), the question is simply, what is the best that this team can do, and who is the best guy to do it...

if that means a guy who can turn an average team into a solid and good one for a few years, then it is what it is... if that is the realistic aim, then i do believe that moyes has among the best proven credentials out there....

• Like 1

For those who are against Moyes coming to the club due to Everton playing negative football under him with Manchester United's heritage of playing pass and move football why would Ferguson recommend Moyes to the board of Manchester United. Doesn't really make sense does it.

Ferguson also recommended McLeish to the board of Villa. I think it's fair to say Ferguson isn't exactly the best judge of manager.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

For those who are against Moyes coming to the club due to Everton playing negative football under him with Manchester United's heritage of playing pass and move football why would Ferguson recommend Moyes to the board of Manchester United. Doesn't really make sense does it.

That's such bizarre logic. So Ferguson's opinion of Moyes (which in itself isn't directly related to playing style) now overrules what people saw with their own eyes?
Yet you give stick to those on here who use the same logic to criticise Lambert.

Ferguson also recommended McLeish to the board of Villa. I think it's fair to say Ferguson isn't exactly the best judge of manager.
Yes I do agree mostly with that yet my point really was to do with matching the manager with the same footballing philosophy and maybe that's why Mourinho wasn't approached by Manchester?

the problem for me with most of the premier league managers is that they have all been in the job for such a short time it is impossible to get a realistic view of how much they are influencing their teams and how much of the performance is down to them, as opposed to what they inherited.

everton is a classic example - martinez is getting all of the plaudits for what everton are doing at the moment, while moyes is a limited manager who plays negative football. who do we credit with everton being where they are today? moyes for developing the players over a number of years that martinez has inherited - baines, osman, rodwell, howard, jagielka, mirallas etc or martinez for getting the most out of them now that they are in their prime?

martinez had several years to build a squad at wigan and we all know how that went...

southhampton is a similar story - pochettino inherited lallana, shaw, rodriquez, lambert, schneiderlin, clyne, ward-prouse, boruc etc, all of whom have showed fantastic form this season - how will his management skills next season look without a number of those key players?

for me, the managers that have outperformed this season in the top tier are rodgers and martinez, who now have progressed beyond bottom half teams and would see no reason to look down the table for a new project...

Of the next tier are pocchetino, steve bruce, mark hughes, tony pulis, all of whom I think have done very well, and none of whom I think are what the naysayers to Moyes are looking for.  

You then have the international coaches, who have come in and had varying degrees of success - Magath, Poyet, Mel, Soljskaer, Meulensteen and the really young former players cum coaches - sherwood, monk, adams....

to succeed in the premier league is very difficult and to transition from other international leagues even harder...

not sure where i meant to end up when i started this post, but i guess my point is this - we'd all love to play attractive football, score a shed load of goals and be challenging the best teams in europe. with the squad we have at the moment, and the finances we have available now (or are likely to have available over the summer), the question is simply, what is the best that this team can do, and who is the best guy to do it...

if that means a guy who can turn an average team into a solid and good one for a few years, then it is what it is... if that is the realistic aim, then i do believe that moyes has among the best proven credentials out there....

You can't compare Pulis to the likes of Poccetino based on a couple of months, thats just ridicilous.

Yes I do agree mostly with that yet my point really was to do with matching the manager with the same footballing philosophy and maybe that's why Mourinho wasn't approached by Manchester?

So, if you are saying Ferguson recommended Moyes to Manure because he was a good match for their footballing philosophy are you also saying that he recommended McLeish to Villa because he was a good match for our footballing philosophy which by that logic means we like to play boring, turgid, negative unproductive football?

So, if you are saying Ferguson recommended Moyes to Manure because he was a good match for their footballing philosophy are you also saying that he recommended McLeish to Villa because he was a good match for our footballing philosophy which by that logic means we like to play boring, turgid, negative unproductive football?

Well following up McLeish with Lambert seems to confirm that philosophy?

• Like 1

we are talking about the Scottish boys club again.

fergie was a  one off, doesn't mean every scot is a good manager.

moyes, lambert, McLeish, coyle, kean, Clarke, mackay. if you want defensive boring football, take your pick.

Scotland hasn't had a decent team since 1978.

I want a European manager with new ideas and an attacking philosophy

Nigel Spink said on Radio WM tonight "bearing in mind where the new owners might come what about Klinsmann?" 

He also added (albeit off topic) "Gareth Barry phoned the owner or the manager up and asked to come at the start of the season that's what I heard". 

I myself cannot see Klinsmann wanting to make the move to B6. But I am sure he could bring in a couple of decent German players if he did.

It is also nice to think Barry thought of us before moving to Everton and I am sure we would have been much more comfortable now had we found the money to pay the wages they were able to pay to sign him.

• Like 1

So Lambert must go but apparently bringing in a complete amateur (when it comes to management) is ok?

At least it will be exciting, I have started taking headphones to games so I can listen to other matches because ours are so dull.

So Lambert must go but apparently bringing in a complete amateur (when it comes to management) is ok?

At least it will be exciting, I have started taking headphones to games so I can listen to other matches because ours are so dull.

How do you know it will be exciting? He hasn't even managed a game for Man United yet I'm sure the novelty would soon wear off.

It's not exactly realistic either.

"Would anyone give Ryan'Gigs a chance at our club when Manchester bring in their new manager". 

No shaggy. You will win nothing with a kid like Giggs as a manager. 

Good one John. I see it's Hansen's last Match Of The Day tonight so I'm sure we'll see that quote again.
  • Like 1