Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

I think lambert should get a chance under the new ownership. His big signings have seemed decent, Okore and Kozak, but we're unfortunate with injuries. Benteke has been excellent. His less underwhelming signings have been through serious budget constraints.

Tactically, I don't think he's been that bad, he just hasn't had the squad to play around with.

• Like 1

I'd still look abroad personally. British managers can play nice football, but the majority of them tend to prefer a style similar to Moyes/ O'Neill/ Lambert etc. A Spanish manager, for example, brought up with a culture of passing and buying attacks, would be more likely to coach a team in the same way.

'Admin' from TheBellsAreRinging, is the person who broke Culverhouse and Karsa going and also that there was a takeover, way before those stories came out else where.

He said there had already been an approach for a manager who was 'exciting'.

Assuming he's as right about that as he has been about everything else, then one would assume that that manager is currently out of work if we have already spoken to them. Suppose we could have broken some rules to approach those already in jobs though.

Bielsa matches the profile of somebody out of work who would be exciting though. Top manager.

Frank Rijkaard? Guus Hiddink? Bring Jupp Heynckes out of retirement?

Heynckes would be great!

Regardless of whether we are taken over or not and how much they plan to spend I'd like us to look abroad and get someone progressive in.

Why look abroad? i think, Brendan Rogers is the best example of the NEW manager.

..and how many of those are around? That's a genuine question. 

I think many fans are fed up of the kick and rush football we've had served up over the last 8 years by British manager (Houllier excluded of course). Kick and rush gets you no where and wins you absolutely nothing in this day and age. I think what many fans crave is a bright manager who sets up to play attractive football. 

If there's a British 'one of those' around then great but it's not clear that there's many about, hence why many want us to look abroad.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Regardless of whether we are taken over or not and how much they plan to spend I'd like us to look abroad and get someone progressive in.

Yay, stop the internet, we agree on something at last! ;)

I think the manager will be an indication of the players we'll be looking at getting in - in some respects one of the biggest 'talents' a manager needs is the ability to attract players - which means they've got to have heard of him and respect him. Two ways to get this - either with a massively successful manager, a Klopp or a Hiddink or whatever, which I think is unlikely; or with someone who played the game at a very high level and shows some managerial promise.

Lambert actually fits into that second bracket, but I'm not sure his playing fame or managerial record is now quite where we'd need it to be to attract really good players - if we go with a new manager I think we'll be looking at a new-ish manager who was a very good and very famous player.

What's that Dutch bloke called?

• Like 1

I think the manager will be an indication of the players we'll be looking at getting in - in some respects one of the biggest 'talents' a manager needs is the ability to attract players - which means they've got to have heard of him and respect him. Two ways to get this - either with a massively successful manager, a Klopp or a Hiddink or whatever, which I think is unlikely; or with someone who played the game at a very high level and shows some managerial promise.

Lambert actually fits into that second bracket, but I'm not sure his playing fame or managerial record is now quite where we'd need it to be to attract really good players - if we go with a new manager I think we'll be looking at a new-ish manager who was a very good and very famous player.

What's that Dutch bloke called?

Schteve McLaren?

• Like 3

Nearly all the papers are reporting that Moyes is on his way.

I wonder how many would be keen to take a chance on him after this season, not only here but other clubs as well.

Personally think United were punching well above their weight for the past couple of seasons & whoever took over fromSAF was on a hiding to nothing.

Whoever it is, I want someone with a footballing philosophy. And one that will be passed down to subsequent managers. Aston Villa needs to reinvent itself and get an identity for the long haul. Not keep appointing contrasting managers and having things ripped up every few years. I want to see a FOOTBALL team.

No quick fix managers who just buy a ton of big name players and try and throw them into a team, I want a PLAN and a VISION put in place that will last for decades. Not a Lambert style plan obviously, I want a manager that can actually coach and manage the players he has into becoming better ones.

One that can talk an intelligent game, not only to the media but can visibly show it through his players on the pitch as they carry out his plan. I don't want another footballing dinosaur, trying to play an old way that's as dated and boring as the whole club must look from the outside looking in.

New dawn, new playing style and a long term footballing philosophy.

And certainly not **** Moyes!

• Like 1

Moyes is hardly renowned for the entertaining style of football that many on here crave. Although Everton were always a very hard side to beat & breakdown, the way that they won wasn't pretty.Quit often they'd play with just one up top.

Possibly the biggest success for Moyes at Everton were his signings-I can't think of one that backfired or that I wouldn't have liked to have seen in our side when we were going head to head with them.

Would personally give Lambert 12 months to show what he can do with a sensible budget.

Wouldn't say no to Moyes. If we went down we should try and get him in to help him rebuild his slightly dented reputation.

All this talk of Klopp is a bit much IMO. I can see Simeone going somewhere in the summer, with Klopp potentially poached by Atletico Madrid.

We'd need to have owners who were willing to spend £200m on new players to get someone like Klopp in. Athough I can dream.