Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

I think Moyes is very much in the mould of O'Neill (although I'd argue a better version)

He's unquestionably a good manager. He'll get a team up the table you'd imagine.

But he strikes me as a manager with a ceiling, and I think that's been shown this season at united.

The real question is, are we the kind of team who could turn down Moyes because he wouldn't win us the title? When in actual fact we'd be turning down a manager who would probably (IMO) sort us the **** out.

I'd much rather have a manager who has potential to get us higher than mid-table. Look at Martinez' Everton, they're still fighting for the fourth place and their team isn't amazing on paper, albeit much better than ours at the moment, but I don't see why we couldn't manage to do the same with good manager and 5-6 good buys.

I think there's very much a reason why so few managers from UK has managed to get to the Top 6 in PL - English coaching and managing traditions and style is holding them back, which are IMO too old-fashioned for modern football and footballers.

The problem is, its very easy to say you'd rather a manager with that potential, but actually finding one is another thing.

Of course we'd all love a manager who would do better than Moyes. That goes without saying.

But Lambert had that potential. So did Solksjaer, and they're both looking like theyre actually not that good.

My point is, can we afford to turn down a manager like Moyes, a relatively safe bet, in order to gamble on a manager with potential, who COULD get us eventually higher, but could also quite as easily not be all he's cut out to be.

We'd all love a Martinez, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

2 years ago most people would have wanted Lambert ahead of Martinez, myself very much included. Not many of us predicted them to turn out this way

• Like 2

The problem is, its very easy to say you'd rather a manager with that potential, but actually finding one is another thing.

Of course we'd all love a manager who would do better than Moyes. That goes without saying.

But Lambert had that potential. So did Solksjaer, and they're both looking like theyre actually not that good.

My point is, can we afford to turn down a manager like Moyes, a relatively safe bet, in order to gamble on a manager with potential, who COULD get us eventually higher, but could also quite as easily not be all he's cut out to be.

We'd all love a Martinez, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

2 years ago most people would have wanted Lambert ahead of Martinez, myself very much included. Not many of us predicted them to turn out this way

I think it's unfair to judge solskjaer based on 4 months to be fair.

Doesn't matter. I was making a point that potential isn't always realised. Pick any number of managers who haven't fulfilled their potential

Plus, with our chairman's record, would you trust him to pick the future mourinho?

Doesn't matter. I was making a point that potential isn't always realised. Pick any number of managers who haven't fulfilled their potentialPlus, with our chairman's record, would you trust him to pick the future mourinho?

You can't say whether someone has fulfilled their potential in four months being the point. Did you say the same four months into Lambert's reign here when we were struggling?

We can forget the top managers now. Klopp at Utd and Van Gaal to Spurs maybe? So who does that realistically leave? If Lambert goes then the best we could hope for is a 'Moyes' type anyway, rather that than a Redknapp or an AVB. Unispiring I know.  

Oh right, glad we can cross them off the list then as I was really really hoping we'd bring in Van Gaal or Klopp.

Jeezus, Aston who? Would be Klopp's reply I'd imagine.

Think we need to refocus on being a tad more realistic here, forget the last 12 months, what Moyes did with Everton is exactly what we need, to be turned from a shit near-the-bottom team into a well oiled machine who are damn tough to beat particularly at home and pushing for or finishing in the top 6 each season - that's what Moyes could bring and for me, that's all I could ask for.

• Like 1

We can forget the top managers now. Klopp at Utd and Van Gaal to Spurs maybe? So who does that realistically leave? If Lambert goes then the best we could hope for is a 'Moyes' type anyway, rather that than a Redknapp or an AVB. Unispiring I know.  

Oh right, glad we can cross them off the list then as I was really really hoping we'd bring in Van Gaal or Klopp.

Think we need to refocus on being a tad more realistic here, forget the last 12 months, what Moyes did with Everton is exactly what we need, to be turned from a shit near-the-bottom team into a well oiled machine who are damn tough to beat particularly at home and pushing for or finishing in the top 6 each season - that's what Moyes could bring and for me, that's all I could ask for.

Depends on the owners though. Look at Man City, they were a mid table side when they got rich owners, it's not about the size lads, it's about funds.

That was ten years ago - people change in ten years, and football has certainly changed in the last ten years. Sure, he did well in Everton in couple last seasons but he already had stable team at that time.

That was ten years ago - people change in ten years, and football has certainly changed in the last ten years. Sure, he did well in Everton in couple last seasons but he already had stable team at that time.

A stable team that he built

Depends on the owners though. Look at Man City, they were a mid table side when they got rich owners, it's not about the size lads, it's about funds.

Thing is though I don't think anyone's expecting us to be taken over by an oil rich arab family though, do they?

If we do get taken over it's likely there will be some investment, significant perhaps by recent standards for us but it's not going to be to the Citeh extent, or at least I'd strongly imagine not anyway.

A stable team that he built

Yeah, he built that years ago. I think he is way too conservative for modern football.