Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

I did think that, though considering dire wolves are much bigger than ordinary wolves and dogs I think that'd be hard to fake. The head was being used as proof so you'd imagine it was legit.

On 10/05/2016 at 10:45, Phumfeinz said:

Bran sucks, his storyline sucks, and I don't want to see any more of it or him ever again.

It seems pretty nailed on to me that he will warg a dragon at some point in the future . Bran will play a huge part IMO. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Davos has to be the best cornerman in the business .

He's probably my favourite character and Liam Cunningham plays him brilliantly. Great geordie accent for an Irishman too.

I dabbled with the audiobook for Clash of Kings recently. They're read by a guy called Roy Dotrice, an old theatre and film actor. Now, the guy is now in his 90s to be fair to him, but he's absolutely terrible in my opinion and he gets Davos all wrong. He makes him high pitched and creepy sounding.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Haven't got that far yet, I just can't take him seriously. I dont like his timbre or his timing when he pauses in sentences. They always just seem to be in the wrong place.

Edited by Ginko

I can't **** stand audiobooks for fiction.

Non-fiction is fine, I have been listening to some of Richard Dawkins books, I could listen to his voice all day, but with fiction they insist on doing the voices, and I just find it painful. Even the most high brow novel seems like it's aimed at children when some prick is doing an over the top pantomime voice for each character.

21 hours ago, Ginko said:

He's probably my favourite character and Liam Cunningham plays him brilliantly. Great geordie accent for an Irishman too.

I dabbled with the audiobook for Clash of Kings recently. They're read by a guy called Roy Dotrice, an old theatre and film actor. Now, the guy is now in his 90s to be fair to him, but he's absolutely terrible in my opinion and he gets Davos all wrong. He makes him high pitched and creepy sounding.

Roy Dotrice is a mate of GRRM apparently and he was offered the role of Pycelle in the show.  He couldn't really manage the schedule of shooting because of some health issues so he didn't get the part, however he did get a nice cameo as the pyromancer who made all that wildfire for Tyrion in Season 2 for the "blackwater" episode

Oh, and: 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 2

On 10/05/2016 at 13:55, Chindie said:

They desperately, desperately need to kick Danaerys' storyline up the arse. She doesn't do anything. I get that the three series of sitting around being a queen conquerer is character development of her trying to learn to be a great ruler, but that plot has to go somewhere fast.

It's not really. It's just that they had to kill enough time for three dragons to grow from the size of cats to the size of buses without it being silly.

If there had been a magic way for the dragons to be fit for purpose after two seasons then GRRM would have just left her with her original Dothraki hoard rather than spending hundreds of thousands of words to get rid of one bunch of horsemen and collect another load. 

Suffice to say I'm not convinced that any writer of fantasy novels is going to waste thousands of pages because he needs the dragons to get big :D. Even accepting for GRRM's ludicrously overindulgent and slovenly prose.

Its a fantasy world, if the end goal is just make the dragons get big have a character rock up with MiracleDragonGrow potion and get it over with. Or just say dragons mature quick. Like, say direwolves seem to...

The length of time pissing about with Danaerys doing sod all is obviously developing her character - she's (apparently/supposedly) gone from naive kid to a ruler, able to wield power and control groups, and surrounded herself with advisors and learnt how to rule, stripped away some of her idealism and replaced it with the rod of iron... 

It's not giving the dragons time to mature. That's a convenient side effect, and a nice allegory from her own growing capabilities.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

Suffice to say I'm not convinced that any writer of fantasy novels is going to waste thousands of pages because he needs the dragons to get big :D. Even accepting for GRRM's ludicrously overindulgent and slovenly prose.

Its a fantasy world, if the end goal is just make the dragons get big have a character rock up with MiracleDragonGrow potion and get it over with. Or just say dragons mature quick. Like, say direwolves seem to...

The length of time pissing about with Danaerys doing sod all is obviously developing her character - she's (apparently/supposedly) gone from naive kid to a ruler, able to wield power and control groups, and surrounded herself with advisors and learnt how to rule, stripped away some of her idealism and replaced it with the rod of iron... 

It's not giving the dragons time to mature. That's a convenient side effect, and a nice allegory from her own growing capabilities.

The original plan was to have a trilogy of novels with a five year jump in time. Skipping all the bits where Danaerys does sod all.

So given that it was a decision to make about whether to bother writing about those five years at all suggests that it's dealing with the passing of time and not a great deal more than that. 

The convenient side-effect is that Dany gets to see how tedious ruling is, not the other way around. 

Well that was rather good.  First scene I was well and truly moved.  Last scene was rather powerful and with the added bonus of something we haven't seen since series one?  All in all things are coming together nicely.

• Like 2

The inevitable showdown I knew would happen has officially kicked off. Should be good.

Very fun episode in general, only one spot dragged.

I'm assuming Marrtin had no input on the story for this one?

Caught up (English time). 

Decent start to the season. The whole John Snow thing was so entirely predictable given all the speculation around it that it wasn't much of a surprise.

The Brann storyline is still so boring I almost fast forward it.

Â