Leicester City

Villan4Life

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's crazy that leicester are still 40-1.

I mean, I do kind of agree with that, but you'd think the defending champions would have shorter odds than that.

Not really, the only way is down for them now.

At 5000-1 again I wouldn't put a quid on it :)

33 minutes ago, BOF said:

On a related note, I've checked next season's odds and the longest odds for an existing Premier League side is 1,500/1 and Burnley are 2,000/1.

Surely Villas odds should be higher than that?

*trollface*

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I wonder if Mahrez Vardy e.t.c will still be there next season

I'd say they have a chance of keeping Vardy, although it's definitely not a gimme.  But Mahrez, no chance.  N'Golo Kante, no chance.  Even Schmeichel will probably get offers from the likes of Liverpool who are crying out for a keeper.

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'd say they have a chance of keeping Vardy, although it's definitely not a gimme.  But Mahrez, no chance.  N'Golo Kante, no chance.  Even Schmeichel will probably get offers from the likes of Liverpool who are crying out for a keeper.

This is where Leicester have been really lucky, in that all of their players have emerged at once, so they haven't been picked off over the years.

If, for example, Mahrez and Kante had broken out last year, and then a couple this year, a few next year, then they'd have been snapped up by other teams and they would have never had the chance to get them all in the same team at once.

But the way it's fallen is that it's been the perfect storm all at once.

Edit: It's also lucky in that winning the league means they have the best possible chance of holding onto those players now, although I tend to agree with you that a lot will move on to bigger clubs.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, BOF said:

On a related note, I've checked next season's odds and the longest odds for an existing Premier League side is 1,500/1 and Burnley are 2,000/1.

Obviously is very unlikely, but odds like these are inherently risky, especially if there has been a levelling off in the league that continues next season. As I said before, they wouldn't give a horse with three legs those kind of odds. 

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Obviously is very unlikely, but odds like these are inherently risky, especially if there has been a levelling off in the league that continues next season.

This is true.  Next season more than any other in the history of the Premier League might be the time to use Stevo's suggestion of sticking a quid on each team.  At least a quid on all bar Citeh and a few quid on the shorter odds to cover them off. 

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Edit: It's also lucky in that winning the league means they have the best possible chance of holding onto those players now, although I tend to agree with you that a lot will move on to bigger clubs.

Quite apart from them being good players, I think there willl definitely be an element of the bigger clubs buying Leicester players simply so that Leicester don't have them any more.  The disruption that it causes a direct rival is on its own worth bringing them in.  There's more than one way to skin a cat (overtake a rival), as they say.

its another case of how betting odds are reported as news in this country

they were 5000-1 so its the unlikeliest thing ever to happen, its more unlikely than elvis still being alive, its more unlikely than wayne rooney being prime minister.... no its a bloke sat in an office in the head office at a gambling company taking an educated guess at their starting position and then fluctuating when people actually start placing money on it....

only this time the guess wasnt very educated, the bookies probably dont mind because this will no doubt start a wave of stupid low bets on incredibly long odds which they'll happily accept but behind the scenes they'll no doubt be having a look at how the bloke who set the odds in the first place didnt pick up Leicesters great form at the end of last season

the reality is they should never have been set at 5000-1 in the first place so to now use that as a measuring stick is utterly ridiculous 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, R.Bear said:

The people who are pleased or happy with Leicester's win are the same sort of people who want the English teams to win in Europe. Disgusting really.

Really? I was pleased Leicester won the league. Sorry if that 'disgusts' you, but I'd rather they won it instead of the likes of Man City or Liverpool or Man Utd (who I also hope all fail in Europe) Surely a change is a good thing, even if it does highlight how shit Villa are. 

Should we be disappointed Leicester won the league? Indifferent? Have no thoughts? Sorry, If I just based all my emotional responses just on Villa's performances I would have hung myself from rafters in the Holte End by now! Leicester have made this season marginally less shit for me as a football fan and offers a glimmer of hope to any well run team that sometimes miracles are possible. 

Point taken, but it's still a great achievement for a team that barely escaped the drop less than a year ago. The team is comprised largely of people nobody really knew about except FM nerds, with a manager whose reputation in England was not particularly good, in professional terms. It's a pretty good story in this age of complete greed and cynicism. 

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Marc Albrighton has the joint most appearances (36) and 3rd most assists at 6 (with vardy). I'm sure he only went "to play" :hooray:

didn't even realise he played that much. absolutely delighted for him.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Kante is the most likely to go as there is a cheap buyout clause

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Kante is the most likely to go as there is a cheap buyout clause

If we go on stats alone then Gana would be an obvious Kante replacement? 

Â