Leicester City

Villan4Life

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

To me, this gives me much less hope than if a team like West Ham won it in a couple of seasons. I don't see this as anything other than a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

I just don't long for a sport that is about which club does the best business and has the best finances that decides the order, I'd watch formula one again if that's what interested me. It's simply a reminder that the unthinkable can happen and not just over a little cup run, but over a season and who know where it might lead them.

even ignoring the wider context, utd chelsea arsenal city spurs and liverpool being beaten to a title they all think they deserve by Leicester is just hilarious.

• Like 2

wonder if when the fawning over leicester has stopped the actual analysis of how poor the standard of football has been this year will begin

i guessed the "lucky" comment was more to do with the timing, on paper in 100 years time it wont tell you how royally shit chelsea, arsenal, utd and city have been this year, not trying to take anything away from leicester but better teams than them have been cock blocked by big teams buying the title, this year they parted like the red sea for them

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

The people who are pleased or happy with Leicester's win are the same sort of people who want the English teams to win in Europe. Disgusting really.

no they're not.

14 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

The people who are pleased or happy with Leicester's win are the same sort of people who want the English teams to win in Europe. Disgusting really.

Not sure if you're joking or not.

But I've never understood this, my intense dislike of Man United, Liverpool etc.. Isn't trump carded by my nationalistic fervour.

Doesn't supporting those teams in Europe just leave you feeling unclean?

To be honest Leicester winning the league is no different to me than if Spurs had won it or one of the usual's had won it.

I'm neither happy for them or annoyed. I'm completely indifferent.

I will add though that I respect them massively.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Ridiculous comment.

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

I didn't want Leicester to win it and as a general rule favour the English teams in Europe. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

wonder if when the fawning over leicester has stopped the actual analysis of how poor the standard of football has been this year will begin

i guessed the "lucky" comment was more to do with the timing, on paper in 100 years time it wont tell you how royally shit chelsea, arsenal, utd and city have been this year, not trying to take anything away from leicester but better teams than them have been cock blocked by big teams buying the title, this year they parted like the red sea for them

do people still say that Verona won a poor Serie A in 1980s when it was best league in world or that Euro 2004 was a shit tournament when Greece won

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

To me, this gives me much less hope than if a team like West Ham won it in a couple of seasons. I don't see this as anything other than a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

But West Ham are in a different league to us (I know literally, but I mean metaphorically). They have an enormous taxpayer-gifted stadium on mates rates that has catapulted them in an instant into being one of the biggest clubs in the country. West Ham winning the league next season would have a little novelty value, but (as well as being really **** annoying given their frankly criminal deal) it wouldn't give me any hope. 

Leicester give me hope. If Leicester can do it, so could we, one day, maybe, before I die. 

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

Just to add my name to the long list of people disagreeing with this comment. 

I literally couldn't give a toss about English teams in Europe. Win, lose, draw, doesn't bother me one way or another. I don't know who's left in Europe this season, or indeed if any of them are left.

Couldn't. Give. A. Toss. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

The levelling of the financial playing field with this monstrous new TV deal is going to make the league table a lot more random than normal.  We mightn't get a Leicester every season but there'll be plenty more West Ham-esque seasons now that they're pretty much all instantly the biggest financial muscle in world football.  Also quite funny that, apart from the prestige of appearing in it, the Champions League is chicken feed compared to the Premier League :) 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Absolutely untrue.  I wanted Leicester to win it because it made a mockery of the establishment, which is exactly the same line of reasoning I use when wishing the same establishment lose in Europe.

Don't feed the troll

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

In other news, Peter Schmeichel's semen has now won a PL title before Liverpool.

Also just think, if it wasn't for Nigel Pearson's son partaking in a racist orgy in Thailand, Leicester wouldn't have won the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Absolutely untrue.  I wanted Leicester to win it because it made a mockery of the establishment, which is exactly the same line of reasoning I use when wishing the same establishment lose in Europe.

This exactly.  I wanted Fulham and Middlesbrough to win when they were in European finals recently, but I'm happy to see United, City, Chelsea et al spanked in Europe.

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Amazing how that 3-2 at their place totally shaped both of our seasons.

They'd been in title form since April 2015, losing just once between then and that game. They then came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Stoke the next game and got hammered 5-2 by Arsenal the game after. I really think the impact on their season of that game is hugely exaggerated, agree that it shaped ours though.

Â