Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

To be fair do you think any of you could play for Birmingham???  I think I'm a fairly level headed bloke, late 30's, work in a global company at senior management level and standard family life but I don't think I could play for them.

Well, I think those are all fantastic reasons as to why you couldn't play for them ;)

If I were a kid and Birmingham offered me a trial, however, I would snap their hands off and happily become a professional footballer. You don't look the gift horse in the mouth and - with exception to anyone out there who genuinely didn't dream of being a footballer as a kid and never had any desire to be one - any Villa fan who turned down the opportunity to play as a professional footballer no matter who the team was deserves a slap.

I suspect that when you're a young footballer, your support for your main club begins to dwindle anyway. The whole 'footballers are mercenaries' argument always tickles me. Of course they are! It's their job for crying out loud. Yeah, it's great when a player spends a long time at a club and forms a close bond with them, that's different, but I'd question the sanity of anyone who would turn down the chance of being a footballer just because the team making the offer were your boyhood team's local rivals.

Hence the reason why I said your future options and the "guy whose coming through and probably believes he could play at a higher level then I'm not sure I could play for the rival team".  If that was your only option then obviously it would be a very hard decision and as you say to be a professional footballer is all our dreams but that wasn't my original intention of the question?

Sorry. It might help if that sentence wasn't so hard to decipher, however.

My point stands though. I don't care what my options are, if Birmingham City offered me a trial and there were no better options at the time, I'd snap their hand off. Obviously if there were better options I would take those, but that's just common sense and my being a Villa fan and therefore being anti-Blues has nothing to do with the decision. 

As for future options, well no one knows the future of a young kid just starting out in his football career. I reiterate: never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Anyway, to get us back on topic, I don't want Troy Deeney but I think it's pointless anyway as I can't see us being interested in him. Really looking forward to who comes in next though. It's exciting buying players again, isn't it? The purchase of Cissokho and Sanchez has given us all a lift, it feels like.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

I want Holtby at the club very badly, I know for 100% that he would fit perfectly in our squad. I've been following him since his move to Spuds and even though he never got the chance from the two ex managers his always been performing well when he came on or started. Had a great partnership with Defoe and with a player like Weimann and Gabby running down the wings with Benteke upfront he would find key passes all the time!

Edited by AVFCRAMTIN

I want Holtby at the club very badly, I know for 100% that he would fit perfectly in our squad. I've been following him since his move to Spuds and even though he never got the chance from the two ex managers his always been performing well when he camed on or started. Had a great partnership with Defoe and with a player like Weimann and Gabby running down the wings with Benteke upfront he would find key passes all the time!

Why are we wasting £1.5m a year on Lambert ;)

• Like 1

I want Holtby at the club very badly, I know for 100% that he would fit perfectly in our squad. I've been following him since his move to Spuds and even though he never got the chance from the two ex managers his always been performing well when he camed on or started. Had a great partnership with Defoe and with a player like Weimann and Gabby running down the wings with Benteke upfront he would find key passes all the time!

Why are we wasting £1.5m a year on Lambert ;)

Haha i would gladly take the job and work for free at the same time as my studies. Some kind of hobby I guess! 

I want Holtby at the club very badly, I know for 100% that he would fit perfectly in our squad. I've been following him since his move to Spuds and even though he never got the chance from the two ex managers his always been performing well when he came on or started. Had a great partnership with Defoe and with a player like Weimann and Gabby running down the wings with Benteke upfront he would find key passes all the time!

Didnt impress me much at Fulham.

The funny thing with him at Fulham was that he was the only player actually fighting and caring. He got frustrated and showed much more caring for the club then the players in it did. Of course he didn't look good when more then half of the Fulham club had given up hope for survival. He did lift the quality in their midfield though no doubt. Holtby has been excellent in Spuds pre-season matches and the majority of the Tottenham fans want him to stay at the club! 

The funny thing with him at Fulham was that he was the only player actually fighting and caring. He got frustrated and showed much more caring for the club then the players in it did. Of course he didn't look good when more then half of the Fulham club had given up hope for survival. He did lift the quality in their midfield though no doubt. Holtby has been excellent in Spuds pre-season matches and the majority of the Tottenham fans want him to stay at the club! 

I would be amazed if Lerner has given the funds for Lambert to sign the likes of Holtby or Deeney?

Even if we don't bring in anyone, I still think it's been a successful summer. Especially when you compare last years eleven to this years.

I'd be really happy with another £3m-£5m signing. Preferably a wide man.

To play Devil's Advocate on Deeney, I don't think it matters that he's a nose. If we'd kept him while he was with us at youth level, and played for the first team, would we care? I know I wouldn't. If anything I would say it would make him more determined to do well, as he'd probably have a section of boo boys on his back, straight away. If Jamie Carragher can play for Liverpool, why can't Deeney play for Villa? At the end of the day, he's a PROFESSIONAL footballer. Now back in the real world, there is absolutely no way in the world we'll spend anywhere near what it would const to bring him in, so you might as well forget about this one straight off.

He is, according to people who know him, as anti villa as "they" get. He'd lose the respect of all of his friends and with Troy Deeney that is more important than his career. Not every footballer is as professional as you'd like to think.

If we were his only option or we were offering him champions league football then maybe. But we're not and we can't. Either way, he's too expensive and not good enough. And he hates the club, which is never a good start!

Again playing Devil's Advocate, could that also be to do with the fact we release him as a kid? I've heard stories the Joleon Lescott lost his love for Villa, because of the way his brother was treated, while with the club. Don't know how true that is, but I can imagine it might have an impact.

It's to do with being from Chelmsley Wood.

It's different when you're a kid, playing for any high level youth team is an achievement. In his case he wasn't released because of lack of talent either.

I'm from Chelmsley Wood, what's your point?

I know his family (met him a few times as well) and some of the generalisations posted in relation to Troy and Chelmsley Wood in general is silly.

Chelmsley Wood is a shit hole full of noses. I'm from Acocks Green, a shit hole full of noses. What's YOUR point?

• Like 1

Even if we don't bring in anyone, I still think it's been a successful summer. Especially when you compare last years eleven to this years.

I'd be really happy with another £3m-£5m signing. Preferably a wide man.

I largely agree with that.

In addition I'd like to see us be able to take advantage of the loan market although wages will no doubt be the issue there.

Clubs like Spurs and Man City have players they want and need to shift out of their squads, Chelsea seem to like loaning players in order to further their own ambitions and Arsenal are always looking to blood young players. You would have to think Man United have a few to shuffle out the door one way or another as well.

Generally speaking I don't like loans, I don't like the loan system and I think it is bad for the game. But in our present circumstances, it could potentially be a way of adding a little extra (quality or numbers) to our ranks.

• Like 1