Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

To play Devil's Advocate on Deeney, I don't think it matters that he's a nose. If we'd kept him while he was with us at youth level, and played for the first team, would we care? I know I wouldn't. If anything I would say it would make him more determined to do well, as he'd probably have a section of boo boys on his back, straight away. If Jamie Carragher can play for Liverpool, why can't Deeney play for Villa? At the end of the day, he's a PROFESSIONAL footballer. Now back in the real world, there is absolutely no way in the world we'll spend anywhere near what it would const to bring him in, so you might as well forget about this one straight off.

He is, according to people who know him, as anti villa as "they" get. He'd lose the respect of all of his friends and with Troy Deeney that is more important than his career. Not every footballer is as professional as you'd like to think.

If we were his only option or we were offering him champions league football then maybe. But we're not and we can't. Either way, he's too expensive and not good enough. And he hates the club, which is never a good start!

Again playing Devil's Advocate, could that also be to do with the fact we release him as a kid? I've heard stories the Joleon Lescott lost his love for Villa, because of the way his brother was treated, while with the club. Don't know how true that is, but I can imagine it might have an impact.
It's to do with being from Chelmsley Wood.

It's different when you're a kid, playing for any high level youth team is an achievement. In his case he wasn't released because of lack of talent either.

I'm from Chelmsley Wood, what's your point?

I know his family (met him a few times as well) and some of the generalisations posted in relation to Troy and Chelmsley Wood in general is silly.

Chelmsley Wood is a shit hole full of noses. I'm from Acocks Green, a shit hole full of noses. What's YOUR point?

In a world where words removed like Nile Ranger etc are millionaires based purely on the notion  'what if' I refuse to believe we would have released Troy Deeney for anything other than football reasons.

We have 27 players in a 25 man squad who would you drop from the squad at this stage?

Herd, Stevens and El Ahmadi.

then we can sign 1 player(over 21) on permanent, 1 player(u-21) on loan.

Edited by uptoyou

We have 27 players in a 25 man squad who would you drop from the squad at this stage?

The 2 players I would drop at this stage would be Enda Stevens and Chris Herd but also look to send either Baker or Clark out on loan to the Championship.

If we can sell KEA for a nominal fee (we currently have Delph, Westwood, Gardner, Sanchez, Cole, Richardson & N'Zogbia fighting over the 3 central midfield positions) that would then free up a spot for another signing.

Even if we don't bring in anyone, I still think it's been a successful summer. Especially when you compare last years eleven to this years.

I'd be really happy with another £3m-£5m signing. Preferably a wide man.

Compared to last summer, yes. But we've still spent small amount compared to most teams in the league.

I'd also love a proper wide player.

I want Holtby at the club very badly, I know for 100% that he would fit perfectly in our squad. I've been following him since his move to Spuds and even though he never got the chance from the two ex managers his always been performing well when he came on or started. Had a great partnership with Defoe and with a player like Weimann and Gabby running down the wings with Benteke upfront he would find key passes all the time!

Didnt impress me much at Fulham.

to be fair neither did senderos or richardson and they havent started too badly

Current state of the squad:

GK: 2 Players (Guzan & Given) (Steer out on loan)

RB: 3 Players (Hutton, Lowton & Bacuna)

LB: 6 Players (Cissokho, Richardson, Bennett, Stevens, Clark & Baker)

CB: 5 Players (Vlaar, Okore, Senderos, Baker, Clark)

CM: 7 Players (Delph, Westwood, Sanchez, El Ahmadi, Herd, Gardner, Bacuna)

LM/LW: 4 Players (Richardson, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor Grealish & Bennett)

RM/RW: 4 Players (N'Zogbia, Wiemann, Bacuna & Lowton)

AM: 6 Players (Cole, N'Zogbia, Grealish, Gardner, Richardson & Grealish)

ST: 7 Players (Benteke, Kozak, Agbonlahor, Wiemann, Bent, Robinson & Burke)

Looking at this I think we can afford to let 2 left backs go (Stevens & Bennett), 1 central midfielder (Herd) & 1 striker (Bent once Benteke & Kozak are back)

Let Herd and Stevens go anywhere for the season and release them. No future here.

Get Gardner,Bennett and Baker some game time in the Championship.

Hopefully get some desperate mug to take Bent and a portion of his salary off our hands for the rest of the season on deadline day.

• Like 1

Even if we don't bring in anyone, I still think it's been a successful summer. Especially when you compare last years eleven to this years.

I'd be really happy with another £3m-£5m signing. Preferably a wide man.

Grant Holt?

• Like 4

I want Holtby at the club very badly, I know for 100% that he would fit perfectly in our squad. I've been following him since his move to Spuds and even though he never got the chance from the two ex managers his always been performing well when he came on or started. Had a great partnership with Defoe and with a player like Weimann and Gabby running down the wings with Benteke upfront he would find key passes all the time!

Didnt impress me much at Fulham.

to be fair neither did senderos or richardson and they havent started too badly

Talk to a Fulham fan, they will tell you richardson was their best player last season

Tidbit, apologies if mentioned before:

In Norwegian paper nettavisen.no ex-Fulham player John Arne Riise is quoted "There has been interest from a few English clubs. Aston Villa is one of them. No written offers yet.". Seems we went for Richardson instead, I'm happy with that.