Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

To play Devil's Advocate on Deeney, I don't think it matters that he's a nose. If we'd kept him while he was with us at youth level, and played for the first team, would we care? I know I wouldn't. If anything I would say it would make him more determined to do well, as he'd probably have a section of boo boys on his back, straight away. If Jamie Carragher can play for Liverpool, why can't Deeney play for Villa? At the end of the day, he's a PROFESSIONAL footballer.

Now back in the real world, there is absolutely no way in the world we'll spend anywhere near what it would const to bring him in, so you might as well forget about this one straight off.

He is, according to people who know him, as anti villa as "they" get. He'd lose the respect of all of his friends and with Troy Deeney that is more important than his career. Not every footballer is as professional as you'd like to think.

If we were his only option or we were offering him champions league football then maybe. But we're not and we can't. Either way, he's too expensive and not good enough. And he hates the club, which is never a good start!

Again playing Devil's Advocate, could that also be to do with the fact we release him as a kid? I've heard stories the Joleon Lescott lost his love for Villa, because of the way his brother was treated, while with the club. Don't know how true that is, but I can imagine it might have an impact.

It's to do with being from Chelmsley Wood.

It's different when you're a kid, playing for any high level youth team is an achievement. In his case he wasn't released because of lack of talent either.

• Like 1

Can't believe so many people are falling for the Troy rumour

It's nothing more than a trojan horse 

I said it wasn't a goer from the start. No way will we sign him. I suppose I'm going a bit off topic though. 

To play Devil's Advocate on Deeney, I don't think it matters that he's a nose. If we'd kept him while he was with us at youth level, and played for the first team, would we care? I know I wouldn't. If anything I would say it would make him more determined to do well, as he'd probably have a section of boo boys on his back, straight away. If Jamie Carragher can play for Liverpool, why can't Deeney play for Villa? At the end of the day, he's a PROFESSIONAL footballer.

Now back in the real world, there is absolutely no way in the world we'll spend anywhere near what it would const to bring him in, so you might as well forget about this one straight off.

He is, according to people who know him, as anti villa as "they" get. He'd lose the respect of all of his friends and with Troy Deeney that is more important than his career. Not every footballer is as professional as you'd like to think.

If we were his only option or we were offering him champions league football then maybe. But we're not and we can't. Either way, he's too expensive and not good enough. And he hates the club, which is never a good start!

Again playing Devil's Advocate, could that also be to do with the fact we release him as a kid? I've heard stories the Joleon Lescott lost his love for Villa, because of the way his brother was treated, while with the club. Don't know how true that is, but I can imagine it might have an impact.

It's different when you're a kid, playing for any high level youth team is an achievement. In his case he wasn't released because of lack of talent either.

Fair do, as I say I'm just trying to see it from another point of view. As I keep saying, I can't see it happening anyway. 

• Like 1

Where has the Deeney links suddenly appeared from? don't Watford want around £13mil as some sell on clause to Walsall?

I believe both his previous clubs, Walsall and HMP Winson Green have claims on a sell-on clause.......I wouldn't let this piece of detritus clean the toilets at VP let alone grace our turf. Not of the required standard - on and off the pitch.

• Like 2

dAVe, generally I'd agree. I just happen to "know" this particular player.

Watch him go and bloody sign for us now!

I can't remember who it was, but some one described him as not only being a nose, but the worst kind of nose. One from Chelmsley Wood. Made me laugh a lot. 

• Like 1

I can't remember who it was, but some one described him as not only being a nose, but the worst kind of nose. One from Chelmsley Wood. Made me laugh a lot.

Reminds me of a Stewart Lee gag. "That would make him a paedophile... The worst kind of paedophile... A Scottish paedophile."

• Like 2

To play Devil's Advocate on Deeney, I don't think it matters that he's a nose. If we'd kept him while he was with us at youth level, and played for the first team, would we care? I know I wouldn't. If anything I would say it would make him more determined to do well, as he'd probably have a section of boo boys on his back, straight away. If Jamie Carragher can play for Liverpool, why can't Deeney play for Villa? At the end of the day, he's a PROFESSIONAL footballer. Now back in the real world, there is absolutely no way in the world we'll spend anywhere near what it would const to bring him in, so you might as well forget about this one straight off.

I'm from Chelmsley Wood, what's your point?

I know his family (met him a few times as well) and some of the generalisations posted in relation to Troy and Chelmsley Wood in general is silly.

King cropley p205

He is indeed a Nose, but not just your Common or Garden variety......he is a Chelmsley Wood Nose. The very worst kind......

To be fair do you think any of you could play for Birmingham???  I think I'm a fairly level headed bloke, late 30's, work in a global company at senior management level and standard family life but I don't think I could play for them.  Obviously if my only source of income anywhere and it's my family's only way of living then obviously but that is an extreme.  

Under normal circumstances like this guy whose coming through and probably believes he could play at a higher level then I'm not sure I could play for the rival team.  Growing up it was ingrained into me to dislike the Blose and that emotion stays with you.  I don't care about their results anymore, don't care what league they are in, enjoy the derbies when we do occasionally play them but never really pay much interest in them but playing for them would be a big no no for me.

What about others? could you play for Blose? or I know other Villa fans have more of a rivalry with West Brom or Wolves, so the question is if you had the ability and played football at a high level could you play for the rivals of your childhood team.

• Like 1

To be fair do you think any of you could play for Birmingham???  I think I'm a fairly level headed bloke, late 30's, work in a global company at senior management level and standard family life but I don't think I could play for them.  Obviously if my only source of income anywhere and it's my family's only way of living then obviously but that is an extreme.  

Under normal circumstances like this guy whose coming through and probably believes he could play at a higher level then I'm not sure I could play for the rival team.  Growing up it was ingrained into me to dislike the Blose and that emotion stays with you.  I don't care about their results anymore, don't care what league they are in, enjoy the derbies when we do occasionally play them but never really pay much interest in them but playing for them would be a big no no for me.

What about others? could you play for Blose? or I know other Villa fans have more of a rivalry with West Brom or Wolves, so the question is if you had the ability and played football at a high level could you play for the rivals of your childhood team.

Even though I love Villa, my answer would be yes. Being professional means acting like one as well and football player play football for their living. It's their job. Just like referees. Everybody support a team but cannot underperform because of the fact that they aren't playing for their favorite club?

I'm from a small town in Stockholm named Sollentuna. We had three teams before. Two of them joined together and became one club instead. I was in one of those clubs. First two-three weeks was like an audition to stay in the team so the rivalry between us was a lot even though we would end up playing together. Not because everybody wanted to get past the audition, it was mainly because of old derby feelings between the clubs.

This story is about boys in the age of  18-25 and 26. The club is now up and running and all those feelings are gone. Two teams that hated each other are now playing together and going up to a higher divison.

This is about young unprofessionals, if we managed to play with people we "hated" (of footballing reasons) then professionals can do it with ease. So my answer to your question would be yes, I could imagine playing for the blues if that was for the better of my career but I would never change my mind and love for the Villa. I would be playing football as a professional for them and support Villa when outside the pitch!    

Even though I love Villa, my answer would be yes. Being professional means acting like one as well and football player play football for their living. It's their job. Just like referees. Everybody support a team but cannot underperform because of the fact that they aren't playing for their favorite club?

I'm from a small town in Stockholm named Sollentuna. We had three teams before. Two of them joined together and became one club instead. I was in one of those clubs. First two-three weeks was like an audition to stay in the team so the rivalry between us was a lot even though we would end up playing together. Not because everybody wanted to get past the audition, it was mainly because of old derby feelings between the clubs.

This story is about boys in the age of  18-25 and 26. The club is now up and running and all those feelings are gone. Two teams that hated each other are now playing together and going up to a higher divison.

This is about young unprofessionals, if we managed to play with people we "hated" (of footballing reasons) then professionals can do it with ease. So my answer to your question would be yes, I could imagine playing for the blues if that was for the better of my career but I would never change my mind and love for the Villa. I would be playing football as a professional for them and support Villa when outside the pitch!    

I don't think it's about being professional because you may not want to work for another company due to any number of reasons and that doesn't make you less professional.  In fact you could argue that it makes you more professional as you know you could't give your all for that company and thus your professional ethics dictate that it is not right to move to that company.

I do see your point though I'm just not sure I could do it especially if my belief is that I could play at that level which I'm sure this lad thinks he can, so I also suppose it depends on what you think your options could be in the future.

To be fair do you think any of you could play for Birmingham???  I think I'm a fairly level headed bloke, late 30's, work in a global company at senior management level and standard family life but I don't think I could play for them.

Well, I think those are all fantastic reasons as to why you couldn't play for them ;)

If I were a kid and Birmingham offered me a trial, however, I would snap their hands off and happily become a professional footballer. You don't look the gift horse in the mouth and - with exception to anyone out there who genuinely didn't dream of being a footballer as a kid and never had any desire to be one - any Villa fan who turned down the opportunity to play as a professional footballer no matter who the team was deserves a slap.

I suspect that when you're a young footballer, your support for your main club begins to dwindle anyway. The whole 'footballers are mercenaries' argument always tickles me. Of course they are! It's their job for crying out loud. Yeah, it's great when a player spends a long time at a club and forms a close bond with them, that's different, but I'd question the sanity of anyone who would turn down the chance of being a footballer just because the team making the offer were your boyhood team's local rivals.

• Like 1

If I were a kid and Birmingham offered me a trial, however, I would snap their hands off and happily become a professional footballer.

If I were a kid and they offered me a trial I'd have to seriously reevaluate my ability and consider going into a different profession.