The Boring Thread

Spoony

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I hadn't seen a milk float in about 15 years. 

I saw two today. 

I was going to say recently, but he's 18 now 😁 I had just finished strapping my son into his car seat when I had to take him back out again to show him a coal truck which was driving down the road.  I hadn't seen one of them since I was a kid. 

Proper flatbed loaded with bags of coal. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This month and the way the weeks look on the calendar in my kitchen is pleasingly uniform to the eye. The 1st is on a Monday, the 28th is on a Sunday. Four weeks, each day with four days apiece, each row equal. 

Helped that my calendar is one where the weeks run Monday to Sunday rather than Sunday to Saturday. Those poor sods are missing out this month.

An OCD man after my own heart. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This month and the way the weeks look on the calendar in my kitchen is pleasingly uniform to the eye. The 1st is on a Monday, the 28th is on a Sunday. Four weeks, each day with four days apiece, each row equal. 

Hadn’t noticed before. That is genuinely wonderful. Thanks!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Helped that my calendar is one where the weeks run Monday to Sunday rather than Sunday to Saturday. Those poor sods are missing out this month.

Indeed. February and March’s calendars look identical, save for the last three days of March. So similar in fact, that my dozy missus booked next week off work instead of the week in March that we’d agreed on. I’m still laughing at her now.

• Like 1

I've booked to go to the tip to get rid of some rubble this Saturday.  In the booking system, it says you can only take 3 "black bin sized" bags of rubble, but I have about 7. 

So I've also booked in to go on Sunday morning as well. 

I'll probably just put it all in the car and tell the guy on the door that I needn't go to the Sunday appointment if he'll let me chuck it all in on the Saturday, thus saving my time/fuel and it's going in the same skip anyway. 

I also went to the tip last Saturday, to take mostly cardboard from the presents my son got for his birthday, and also took 4 small bags of rubble.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I've put this in the boring thread, it's genuinely the most exciting and anticipated part of my week. 

Rubble. 

20 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This month and the way the weeks look on the calendar in my kitchen is pleasingly uniform to the eye.

I've just been into the kitchen to look at the calendar. It has a picture of a common frog and some (but, pleasingly, not too much) information about the species - apparently it is often confused with the common toad.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, blandy said:

I've just been into the kitchen to look at the calendar. It has a picture of a common frog and some (but, pleasingly, not too much) information about the species - apparently it is often confused with the common toad.

Does it have gravy on it? Like, gravy splatter? 

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Does it have gravy on it? Like, gravy splatter? 

No. Gravy is a valuable commodity, to be carefully handled, not to be distributed wantonly around the place in some kind of stock-induced frenzy. What do you think I am anyway  - some kind of gravy spewing beast of the wild? No, actually don't answer that.

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I love a good trip to the tip, and like you say with sod all else happening right now it’s a fun day out for all! 

I like throwing stuff in with the aim of breaking what’s already in there. 

It's very therapeutic, launching old crap and shoite into a large metal container....hearing it thud to the bottom if its an empty bin, or smashing on top of other crap.

It gave me particular pleasure hurling my wedding album on top of what looked like a split bin bag of muddy and sh1tty old blankets 😁

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

It's very therapeutic, launching old crap and shoite into a large metal container....hearing it thud to the bottom if its an empty bin, or smashing on top of other crap.

It gave me particular pleasure hurling my wedding album on top of what looked like a split bin bag of muddy and sh1tty old blankets 😁

In my old apartment block I lived on the third floor and there was a communal waste shute to the basement in the hallway.  I love throwing trash down that shute, clanging all the way down and clunking at the bottom.  I miss those days 😳

• Like 1

My calendar this year is scenes of Staffordshire. Usually buy the country file calendar but as we had seen all the pictures already it took the surprise out. February on my current calendar is Cannock Chase. 

6 hours ago, mottaloo said:

You old romantic, you. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, nick76 said:

In my old apartment block I lived on the third floor and there was a communal waste shute to the basement in the hallway.  I love throwing trash down that shute, clanging all the way down and clunking at the bottom.  I miss those days 😳

We had that in my college dormitory.  One day something got stuck and at some point presumably some idiot lit a match to it, since there was smoke spewing out when you opened the hatch.   Proper chimney, that.   A guy bloodied his hand breaking the glass to activate the fire alarm.   Come to think of it, that may not have been quite boring enough for this thread.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, il_serpente said:

We had that in my college dormitory.  One day something got stuck and at some point presumably some idiot lit a match to it, since there was smoke spewing out when you opened the hatch.   Proper chimney, that.   A guy bloodied his hand breaking the glass to activate the fire alarm.   Come to think of it, that may not have been quite boring enough for this thread.  

that’s a great anecdote mate!

18 hours ago, nick76 said:

I grew up in a block of council flats - also on the third floor. That's the British third floor, by the way, not the American third floor, which would have been the fourth floor. As a kid I used to love the job of chucking rubbish down the chute. 

• Like 1

For years I’ve thought Eilidh Barbour’s name was Hayley Barbour. It’s only recently I’ve seen it written down that I’ve discovered her colleagues introducing her haven’t in fact been dropping the “H” when saying her name.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

It’s taking me a little while getting used to how posts are “highlighted”, whether it’s a well liked post, a post by mod or a VT supporter. 

The colour outline of the post catches the eye, and I think “Ah this must be a popular post”, then I’m momentarily stumped as to why it’s received no likes but is highlighted. Then I see either the “moderator” or “VT supporter” tab and realise my error.

• Like 2

Â